User Tag List

123 Last

Default NTs understanding of NFs and vice - versa

Well, based on some recent threads, where NTs and NFs are arguing and cannot find an agreement, but also on my observations over time, I'm getting more and more convinced about something:

NTs and NFs have a very hard time understanding each other, in means of their opinions on some serious topics.

NTs operate on the rational reasonings, and it just doesn't make sense for them to rely anyhow on emotions in serious truth-finding. They must see logic in everything. They know that NFs are somewhat emotional, but I guess they take them, as they were "sentimental". They don't understand that NFs live on emotions, and that for them is important what they feel about things, not what is logical interpretation of things. NTs just don't copy that, perhaps it's not surprising, because they are Ts. They don't work on this wavelength.

Similarly, NFs can have a hard time debating with NTs. NFs can be really annoyed and puzzled, when they consider deep, interpersonal thing, and NT analyse that and apply logic, and "don't feel the real meaning". In other words, NTs apply logic and cold rational methods even where that souldn't be used, and that bugs NFs.

So I think that realms of NTs and NFs are really different in particular matters, and it's very hard to agree on such things for them. They work on different mechanisms and causally cannot understand the each other.
    I'm not saying that thinking or feeling approach is better here. They are just different, and both have pros and cons. And each one can supplement what the other one lack, then.

What do you think?
    How can NTs and NFs understand each other well?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

a)by acknowledging that both systems have their value
    b)by applying the right system at the right time in the right situation.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

It's not as black and white as you're making it seem, intelligent NTs, NFs, SJs and SPs can understand each other very well...And so do the stupid ones of these categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    It's not as black and white as you're making it seem, intelligent NTs, NFs, SJs and SPs can understand each other very well...And so do the stupid ones of these categories.
    I know that. I was only trying to pinpoint most striking situations, and most compromising topics, so you can understand what I'm talking about.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    NTs operate on the rational reasonings, and it just doesn't make sense for them to rely anyhow on emotions in serious truth-finding.
    It's not emotions, it's values.
    Everyone has emotions.

They must see logic in everything. They know that NFs are somewhat emotional, but I guess they take them, as they were "sentimental".
    It's not emoitons, it's values.
    Everyone has emotions.

They don't understand that NFs live on emotions, and that for them is important what they feel about things, not what is logical interpretation of things.
    It's not emotions, it's values.
    Everyone has emotions.

Similarly, NFs can have a hard time debating with NTs. NFs can be really annoyed and puzzled, when they consider deep, interpersonal thing, and NT analyse that and apply logic, and "don't feel the real meaning".
    It's not cold rationality, it's detached (or impersonal) judgment.

In other words, NTs apply logic and cold rational methods even where that shouldn't be used, and that bugs NFs.
    It's not cold rationality, it's detached (or impersonal) judgment.

How can NTs and NFs understand each other well?
    Sometimes it is appropriate to approach a situation as if you were a person sitting high on a mountaintop looking down on everything, and evaluating it that way. Other times it's appropriate to view it from inside the action and allowing yourself -- and your own desires and values and needs -- to be part of the equation.

Life is a mix of applying impersonal and personal value to things. Impersonal value enables you to get perspective; personal value enables you to be engaged and driven.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Well, based on some recent threads, where NTs and NFs are arguing and cannot find an agreement, but also on my observations over time, I'm getting more and more convinced about something:

NTs and NFs have a very hard time understanding each other, in means of their opinions on some serious topics.

NTs operate on the rational reasonings, and it just doesn't make sense for them to rely anyhow on emotions in serious truth-finding. They must see logic in everything. They know that NFs are somewhat emotional, but I guess they take them, as they were "sentimental". They don't understand that NFs live on emotions, and that for them is important what they feel about things, not what is logical interpretation of things. NTs just don't copy that, perhaps it's not surprising, because they are Ts. They don't work on this wavelength.

Similarly, NFs can have a hard time debating with NTs. NFs can be really annoyed and puzzled, when they consider deep, interpersonal thing, and NT analyse that and apply logic, and "don't feel the real meaning". In other words, NTs apply logic and cold rational methods even where that souldn't be used, and that bugs NFs.

So I think that realms of NTs and NFs are really different in particular matters, and it's very hard to agree on such things for them. They work on different mechanisms and causally cannot understand the each other.
    I'm not saying that thinking or feeling approach is better here. They are just different, and both have pros and cons. And each one can supplement what the other one lack, then.

AAAHHH THAT IS IT! Now everything makes total sense.
    I always thought that T stands for True and F for False.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yep...i agree with jennifer.

i also think it matters if you want to understand. i know there are many things i will never understand simply because they do not interest or intrigue me...but i very much appreciate the differences between the nt/nf and would like to understand as much as possible.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFJ

Okay, a lot about where the NTs are at fault, but what about the NFs?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ who said the nt's were at fault? i didn't read it that way.

i don't think either approach is better...sometimes one is more suitable for the given situation but both can learn how to communicate appropriately if they want to...right?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Well, based on some recent threads, where NTs and NFs are arguing and cannot find an agreement...
    links, please.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery