123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Thoughts on gift giving.

What did you guys get others for Christmas this year?

What is your feeling on the Christmas gift-giving sentiment?

Too commercial? Lots of fun? Do you put lots of thought into your present buying? Who do you buy for?

I would personally buy for everyone and their brother if I could afford it, but tend to end up buying more expensive stuff for only a few people.

MBTI
    INFP

I only bought one gift and it was for my parents from my sister and I. It was some killer olive oil & vinegar.

I don't feel extremely comfortable receiving gifts, so I've never felt obligated to give them.

The only reason I'd get a gift for someone is because I simply enjoy the process of buying something cool and surprising someone with it.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I like giving gifts that a person wouldn't normally get for her/himself.
    In a way it's spoiling, but isn't always much.

For example my sister likes tea, so I went to an expensive tea shoppe (heehee) and got her all the christmas teas they had available and a cool new type of tea spoon. While it wasn't expensive, normally she'd only get one type of christmas tea and would be happy with her normal tea spoon. So it was a treat.
    My dad couldn't find any toques and all the ones left in the house were ugly. So I got him three new toques, all fairly warm and fashionable (he's sleeping with one on right now). He'd normally only buy one or two and stick with styles that he was used to.

I don't buy for many people, but don't have a lot of money, so it's no big deal.

MBTI
    INxJ

I don't celebrate Christmas. Most of the people I'm close to, forgo Christmas as well.

Nonetheless, I give gifts for the holiday season in general. I only buy for those closest to me. I'm not the best at spending consistent time or even communicating regularly, so I show my care by gift giving. I have a list exchange method. So, I never buy anyone a gift they would never want or use. It's more efficient that way.

MBTI
    ISTP

I didn't get any presents for anyone this year, but I'll probably help my mom out with dinner-making and cleaning up (which is extremely out of character for me).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    What did you guys get others for Christmas this year?
    I ended up getting my cousin a gift-card, and my mother some chocolate candy and Danish butter cookies.

What is your feeling on the Christmas gift-giving sentiment?
    Well, I think it's a bit confining. I'd rather buy gifts for and receive gifts from people whenever I or they felt like it, rather than having to stress myself with the expectation of it all happening on one specific day of the year.

Too commercial? Lots of fun? Do you put lots of thought into your present buying? Who do you buy for?
    I think it can be fun, but it can also be stressful and lead to mutual resentment. I don't really put too much thought into it, and I just buy for the people who I happen to think of. I just don't know how to deal with Christmas. I really don't think it's too commercial... in fact, I prefer the commercial aspect to the religious one.

MBTI
    INFJ

While Christmas/Hanukkah is an official gift-giving time in our culture, I tend to focus more on my friends' birthdays for special gifts. I like giving presents, but don't like the stress of big crowds, no parking, time constraints and other pressures.

In December I find beautiful cards, like letterpress or silk-screened ones, and that's my gift, along with something I've baked. I also give calendars, magazine subscriptions and bookstore gift certificates. My friends and I sometimes treat each other to lunch for the holidays. Then the focus is on the friendship, not the gift.

Over the past year or so I've realized it's fine to ask folks (or their loved ones) what they'd like. This year I asked my husband's cousin if her kids had iPods. She said yes, but instead of iTunes gift cards, they'd really prefer cash because they were saving for computers. It was so simple to give them what they really wanted.

My husband chooses his own gift (always something camera- or computer-based). My mom sends us chocolate bark, which we adore. I got my daughter a box of Texas grapefruit which I know she loves. My son admired a book around Thanksgiving, and 2 days later we bought it for him. After Christmas, we shop the sales and get items like clothes and housewares we've all been wanting.

I've pretty much had it with last-minute guessing games 2 days before Christmas. Yesterday a coworker went to Walgreen's to buy gifts for his family; he came back with a toy that sang a Christmas song for his son (kind of like Alvin). All I could think of was how annoying it would be hearing it for the 20th time.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    It's more efficient that way.
    I think I'd eat my hat if I saw a post of yours that didn't involve efficiency.
    I just giggled so much at this.

I LOVE gift-giving! Not to mention it's not too bad to get gifts either.

I sometimes make gifts, in fact I'm pretty good at making gifts that aren't entirely pineconebirdfeeder useless. Usually the person inspires the gift in my head already, so I merely await the occasion.

Many times I'll just be shopping around a store, and months in advance will find something PERFECT for that person, or conveniently on sale, and purchase it and hold it forEVER until the birthday or season comes around.

Many times I buy things just to buy them for people.. It's my way of saying I was thinking of you.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP

I give gifts to a lot of people, to my friends, to my parents, to people I know.

It's nice to see that a person really likes your gift.

I generally try to get both original and nice gifts, I don't like to give the same gift always, but if I can't find the object of my dreams which I intend to give to a certain person, then something less original will do, but I never want to give ugly presents. I mean, I wouldn't ever get anyone something like shampoo or deodorant.

I also dislike getting people really useful/practical stuff, I'd rather get something they would like, but they wouldn't buy themselves, like a nice, but expensive pair of earrings or something like chocolate with chilli. That's what I got to my best friend. And I also got for some friends nice decorative stuff, but also books, stuff for the Christmas tree, luxury cosmeticals, basically what I also received.

Anyway, I don't really care about what I get, because the intention matters. Well, as long as I don get something really outrageous, such as white socks, which I have got for Christmas.

I never plan these gifts, I rely on a momentarily inspiration and I generally get gifts in the 2 weeks before Christmas.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i kinda love to over do things...but...i don't like to get something just to get something...it has to be perfect...i don't like to do just generic gifts ya know...so it's either really great or nothing...i think.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison