User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    But it's this whole caring about other people's feelings that gets in the way *groans*
    Finally someone who sees it the same way! Screw the feelings!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    But it's this whole caring about other people's feelings that gets in the way *groans*
    Ah, but there's a difference between caring about people's feelings and caring about an arbitrary social expectation. I care about people's feelings too, but anyone who really knows me, knows me not following arbitrary traditions of behavior is not an attack on their feelings in any way. Sometimes you have to assert yourself and endure the initial hurt feelings, but if you're consistent, it will become "oh, that's just Lane" just like it's "oh, that's just Jeff" and not "OMG I can't believe he/she did that! How rude! Blargie blarg!" or you know, whatever they say.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    Finally someone who sees it the same way! Screw the feelings!
    I said nothing of the sort! At least Jeffster got my meaning. Nope, I'm afraid you're all alone in your cold hearted ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Ah, but there's a difference between caring about people's feelings and caring about an arbitrary social expectation. I care about people's feelings too, but anyone who really knows me, knows me not following arbitrary traditions of behavior is not an attack on their feelings in any way. Sometimes you have to assert yourself and endure the initial hurt feelings, but if you're consistent, it will become "oh, that's just Lane" just like it's "oh, that's just Jeff" and not "OMG I can't believe he/she did that! How rude! Blargie blarg!" or you know, whatever they say.
    Yeah, which is why I've started confronting my friends... one already, has taken it well and pretty much agreed with my opinion on it.

I'll just clarify that I'm not trying to be greedy or stingy by ending this ritual of gift giving. I would just like to destroy the obligation of giving gifts EVERY christmas/birthday. I'd rather it be on a whim, on no occassion at all. They mean more that way. And yes, going against the grain is no easy endeavor, especially for me (cursed Enn 9).
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Kay, so I rearranged the questions a bit. Makes more sense now. Alright, let's see.

What is your feeling on the Christmas gift-giving sentiment? Too commercial? Lots of fun?
    It is a good thing. Though, Personally I don't exactly let the calendar tell me when I have to get people gifts. I like to randomly give gifts to people, too.
    The fact that there is a certain day for the whole world to give gifts might be somehow romantic and cool, but at the same time it is a freaking mess. *shrugs*

Who do you buy for?
    Nobody. I have nobody to give gifts to. Except for my roommate maybe. But the rest of all the people...well, my friends are mostly from far away. My so called family is split into Italy and Switzerland and other then that, nobody to "begift".

Do you put lots of thought into your present buying?
    Yes I do! I always try to pick a gift that is individual and useful for the person I give it to. That means I wanna give them something that they will actually appreciate, and I sure as Hell won't buy stuff like some odd, stupid object to put on a shelf and catch dust. Well, unless they are all obsessed with such stuff maybe. So what I do is, I individually grant wishes. Basically.

What did you guys get others for Christmas this year?
    I made a special DVD for my dad; made a bag for my half-sister (crotcheting) and a jewel box with selfmade bath-stuff for my dads girlfriend. I did that only because I saw them this year. Otherwise I wouldn't have given them anything.
    As for my roommate...I can never give him anything, because whatever he wishes for or could use, he buys it himself. And as mentioned above, I always wanna give people something that they are happy with.
    In any case, my roommate never wants me to give him gifts anyways. He says "I am gift enough". Okay then. =P
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I can relate to a lot of this. I do love to give gifts but as a poor college student, sometimes its more financially stressful than anything.

This year I did buy one gift that I really felt good about though. There is a lady at my work with a really tough life. She has a lot of home problems and health problems but still manages to stay fairly positive. Life just shits on her. She picked up Christmas for me this year just to do something nice, so I put a bottle of wine, candle, and bath oils in a bag and stuck it in her car and wrote that it was from santa. She'll figure it out probably, but she got a nice surprise after work that day!

ThatGirl

I cant stand gift giving unless its something that I thought about right in the moment, example: walking through somewhere and a certain item makes you think of a particular person. But, there is this whole, whatever you get someone shows how much you care or pay attention, and I find that to be complete crap. You shouldnt have to pay out to prove anything.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The holidays are practically over and we still have to talk about this?

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The holidays are practically over and we still have to talk about this?
    I dont remember her saying anything about Cristmas gift giving. Just the concept of gift giving in general,

and yes.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

The OP was geared towards Christmas.

And no, Uber, you don't have to talk about anything if you don't want to.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    The OP was geared towards Christmas.

And no, Uber, you don't have to talk about anything if you don't want to.
    You're fun.