User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I like giving gifts that a person wouldn't normally get for her/himself.
    Yep, same here. As a child, I received enough of the toothpaste, cheap soap etc from my grandparents to never want to inflict that on anyone else.

I don't buy Christmas gifts for many people - just my partner, my sister and another couple we hang out with quite a bit. I got my partner a CD (lol, exactly the same CD as he got me), a DVD of a comedy series we both love, chocolate and a couple of beachy necklaces. We got our friends a DVD and a calendar of paper planes. tbh, I can't actually remember what I got my sister now. I had to post it a while ago.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Why reserve giving gifts at one time a year?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I give gifts to myself constantly all year round.

Hell, even I'm a gift.

I like making people happy so I could buy someone I love a gift at any time of the year. I try to think of something really good. Sometimes it's just not ideal and I feel okay skipping it, which is what happened with just about everybody in my family this year.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I love giving gifts. I give lots of gifts to my family members, usually small things. I don't like to give useless gifts, so I tend to get things for them that I know that they'd use. My dad loves origami, so I got him a bunch of beautiful paper - and I gave him some money toward something he wants to buy for himself, which I folded into butterflies. My mom crochets, so I gave her a lot of fancy yarns. Everybody likes soaps and socks, so everybody gets those. My sister is easy to buy for because I just buy things that I like. But this year, she's moving to Colorado, so I got her some warm boots and a sweater. I love giving to my family, especially my parents, because we've never had very much (and still don't) but it's a moment to do some concentrated spoiling of people who don't buy much for themselves.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

What did you guys get others for Christmas this year?
    very personal gifts i know they will like and enjoy. yes, i use MBTI to help me pick presents.

What is your feeling on the Christmas gift-giving sentiment?
    tis a dangerous concept truthfully. i always tell people im going to give them a gift so that they either can retort that they do not want a gift or to give them time to give something back to me (i could care less but a lot of people feel bad (which in and of itself is a problem, i think, with gift giving))

Too commercial? Lots of fun? Do you put lots of thought into your present buying? Who do you buy for?
    close family and friends and the gifts are well thought out and personal.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    What is your feeling on the Christmas gift-giving sentiment?

Too commercial? Lots of fun? Do you put lots of thought into your present buying? Who do you buy for?
    I'm not a materialistic person. I'm a minimalist to the extreme... everything I need/want I already own. And anything excess drives me up the wall. Gift giving really only makes sense for children, who can't provide for themselves and who really appreciate receiving anything.

The major problem with gift giving is most people are unsuccessful at it... even though my friends generally know where my interests lie, they seem to always miss the mark - and I end up chucking the gift.

It's so unfair how men can get away with not exchanging gifts with friends, while women who protest against it are guilted for it.

I'd really just like to give up the whole thing.
    Last edited by lane777; 12-29-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

What did you guys get others for Christmas this year? Pretty much what was asked for and a few surprises. GH world tour and my husband's wetsuit were big winners this year.

What is your feeling on the Christmas gift-giving sentiment? I enjoy it totally. I always have.

Too commercial? Lots of fun? Do you put lots of thought into your present buying? Who do you buy for? It's fun but I think it can get crazy, especially with kids. I buy for my husband and kids plus my parents, my dear MIL, BIL and SIL and my gram. I also buy for my ex SIL and her husband, niece and her brother. They are all family as far as I'm concerned.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree with those who have said they give gifts whenever they feel like it. I bought and made a few gifts to actually let people open on the 25th, because it's fun to do that stuff together with the family. But I don't stress over it. I finished making my mom's present 3 minutes before we went over to her house Christmas morning to open presents, and I bought my son's the night before at a grocery store after work. I don't need much time to think of kickass presents, they just come to me cuz I'm awesome like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    It's so unfair how men can get away with not exchanging gifts with friends, while women who protest against it are guilted for it.
    Why does it matter if you are "guilted for it"? Just do your thing, babe.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Why does it matter if you are "guilted for it"? Just do your thing, babe.
    But it's this whole caring about other people's feelings that gets in the way *groans*
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)