User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Does it drive you crazy to have nothing to do at work?

I got a job recently. Most of the time I'm fine because people keep giving me tasks to perform, and I stay busy. I have no problem with this.

The problem comes on weeks like this. We have to work during this week before Christmas, but everything is winding down. Thus, no one is giving me any tasks. I have to literally wander around asking people for something to do. If they're all busy with something else (and thus ignoring me), I just have to stand or sit around doing nothing (except stare at my watch, I guess).

What's funny is, I feel fine sitting around at home doing nothing. But at work I can't stand it. I find myself thinking "Won't someone please give me something to do? I feel useless and like I'm just in the way." It's quite tedious.

Most people seem to complain about having to do work at work... I think it actually bothers me more to have to be idle at work. Something about it just feels so boring and tedious... the waiting, watching the clock, hoping to find a task.

Does anyone else understand this?

MBTI
    INTP

Nope. I'll ask if there's anything else to do, and if there's not, I'll surf the internet guilt-free.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

It bothers me too. The guilt has subsided more and more over the years but somehow it still bugs me, like I'll be judged for it at some point.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTj

What I dislike more is when "make work" tasks of no value. I usually take advantage of spare time to learn a new skill.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Nope. I'll ask if there's anything else to do, and if there's not, I'll surf the internet guilt-free.
    I wish I could do that. I've thought about doing that a lot, but I always feel too guilty (because I'm being paid) and nervous (that I'll be accused of slacking off) because it says in the rules that I'm not supposed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What I dislike more is when "make work" tasks of no value. I usually take advantage of spare time to learn a new skill.
    I don't really get opportunities to learn new skills... except for the ones I've learned by performing my job (such as filing, using the copier, data entry, sorting papers by date or alphabetically), which I picked up very quickly anyway.

MBTI
    INTj

Sometimes I pass time by debating some philosophical topic with my ESTJ boss. No worry about being judged.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think it actually bothers me more to have to be idle at work. Something about it just feels so boring and tedious... the waiting, watching the clock, hoping to find a task.

Does anyone else understand this?
    I'm pretty much the same way. Most of the time when I have nothing to do, it's not so much "nothing to do" as it is "I'm waiting for five different people to get back to me and I can't get started on anything before they do." I'd just assume to have things to do at work... the best work day's one where I get there, have plenty of low-stress stuff to work on, chat for a bit, maybe have a short meeting to break up the day, and before I know it, it's time to go home. Nothing worse than knowing that I have to be there but don't have anything much to do but wait for people who are a) on vacation or b) not likely to get back to me.

Talullah's "surf the internet guilt-free" sounds good, but unfortunately just won't work - I'd get grilled bigtime and assigned some sort of bureaucratic busywork if I ever got caught trying it. When I've made note to my boss that I'm waiting for people to get back to me, he responds with something like "why don't you write up some design documentation for other projects?" He knows full and well that I despise that (and that it goes completely counter to how I actually work - or rather, I tell him that and he gets mad when he can't believe it). So I avoid the issue altogether and wind up doing work-related research. But the clock moves very slowly. Bleh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Yes, it's one of my main problems with any job that I have had. I never have enough work to do, as I work fast and competently, and compared to other people in the office, I would end up with about twice as much output, as well as twice as much down time, and then I'd feel guilty when I'd get awards or recognition because I knew I was screwing around half the time and didn't feel I deserved it.

Anyway, I'm with you, I can't stand it. Being bored at work is the worst, and it's a colossal waste of my time to be forced to stay at work for 8 hrs when I don't have 8 hrs of work to do. Being bored also makes me turn inward, I begin overanalyzing my personality, and if I'm too bored, might become depressed and get confused about my life purpose. And I've never been one to surf the net anyway, so that isn't even much of a reward for me (and the problem became a million times worse once forums became blocked by a firewall). And I'd always feel a bit guilty anyway, if I did it excessively. So I end up feeling tied down and trapped somewhere I don't want to be, doing nothing when I could be actually living my life if I wasn't there.

*end rant*

But I don't have to worry about the work thing for another handful of months. So til then....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP

If it's for a few days, then it really doesn't bother me. But I had a job a while back where there wasn't enough to do (and most of it was very tedious and mind-numbing after a while). I really disliked the actual job, although it was a fun team and we bonded out of mutual boredom. I only lasted there 4 or 5 months before I jumped to a more interesting job.

There's only so much internet surfing and researching vaguely relevant topics I can do before I start to feel useless. I like to be useful at work.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

What kind of job is this?