User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I sketch or go read a book if I have absolutely nothing to do.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    When it comes to work in the western world, most people get to choose from one of two experiences, either stress or boredom. Rare is the individual who doesn't experience one of these from their work. Stress causes, well, stress. Boredom seems to cause depression. Personally, I prefer boredom over stress.
    Good point... I think that part of it's just that, almost by definition, there's something about almost any job that causes either stress or boredom (often both). I mean, if it were all fun, it's be hard to convince anyone to pay us for it . I think I'd rather have a job with a little bit of stress and a little bit of boredom than one that involved a lot of either. I'm pretty convinced that either is pretty bad for you in large amounts, but a bit of stress isn't so bad if you're used to boredom, and boredom's sort of a relief in the short term if you've been stressed out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    I sketch or go read a book if I have absolutely nothing to do.
    Read a book? Fuck I used to be able to do that at my previous job if I had nothing to do. That's practically impossible now. I'm lucky to get 5 minutes in for reading.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I got a job recently. Most of the time I'm fine because people keep giving me tasks to perform, and I stay busy. I have no problem with this.

The problem comes on weeks like this. We have to work during this week before Christmas, but everything is winding down. Thus, no one is giving me any tasks. I have to literally wander around asking people for something to do. If they're all busy with something else (and thus ignoring me), I just have to stand or sit around doing nothing (except stare at my watch, I guess).

What's funny is, I feel fine sitting around at home doing nothing. But at work I can't stand it. I find myself thinking "Won't someone please give me something to do? I feel useless and like I'm just in the way." It's quite tedious.

Most people seem to complain about having to do work at work... I think it actually bothers me more to have to be idle at work. Something about it just feels so boring and tedious... the waiting, watching the clock, hoping to find a task.

Does anyone else understand this?

Absolutely. And I feel guilty because I'm being paid for doing nothing. And the RESTLESSNESS! Oh dear lord! It sets off this oscillation between hyperactiveness and depression (physically... being tired and unable to get myself to do anything). I'd rather be overwhelmed than bored any day.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    INTP

We're in a slow spell here as well. I've pursued certification studies and worked on personal projects. I write software, so most managers cannot tell exactly what I am working on anyway. It is incredibly mind-numbing to have nothing to do at work ... and being stuck there for hours doing it. I can definitely relate. I often have to kick myself to self-motivate. Best of luck.

I don't like being stuck and not knowing what to do next at work. Or having nothing to do. Because I know I'm getting paid and feel like I'm not delivering anything for it. If I know the boss is okay with it I have no problem doing nothing for a while though. It is just I feel like I'm taking advantage of something if I do nothing and get paid.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Default Yes

I totally understand what your saying. I really enjoy being efficient and getting to the point.

The hardest part for me is what to say to my boss after hours of being able to do nothing.

He always says "I'm sure you have plenty to do."

Its hard for me o come up with good banter to please him.

Thanks for posting.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Sometimes.

Suppose there is a lot to do in the office, but I am out on a trip for work and end up having to wait or spend several hours (sometimes even like 8/9 hours straight of waiting on a location with nothing to do.) and I am not able to do anything about the stuff that is left to do in the office, it can frustrate me to no end.

But if there's nothing particular that needs to be done, I have no issues in having to waste away some hours off-base. I'll just keep myself occupied by reading a book or whatever.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yes. It makes me sleepy and my brain go numb.