First 1234 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yes
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    IsTP

I could rant for hours. There is nothing more utterly retarded at where I work when it isn't busy, like now. Basically you are 100% caught up but you have to pretened that you are not or you'll get yelled at, and lectured how these are hard times and all your efforts have to go into bettering the business.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    What kind of job is this?
    Mostly office work, along with light warehouse and cleaning tasks.

My job includes filing, data entry, making coffee, alphabetizing, copying, faxing, preparing boxes, moving boxes around, labeling things, fetching drinks for people, carrying things between people that they need, preparing things to be mailed, preparing booklets, sweeping the floor, taking out the trash, and searching for demolition and abatement work for the company in the newspaper and on a list of websites.

Unfortunately, my only consistent tasks are making coffee and looking through the "Bids and Proposals" section of the paper, which takes all of 20 minutes. I'm also supposed to recheck a list of links for abatement/demolition jobs, but I'm only supposed to bother with that once a week. It isn't that bad when there's plenty to do, and people keep giving me more stuff as it comes up, but when they don't... sigh.

I think I would feel more stable, confident, and do less obsessively running around scanning for opportunities to do work all day if I had more of those consistent tasks to deal with, for some reason.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

None of the jobs I've ever worked at had any real noticeable shortage of work for me. Even when I have all the main things I need to do finished already, I have no trouble finding any number of other things to keep myself busy, and quite often I'll be able to work 9, 10, or even 11 hours easily without getting remotely bored.

MBTI
    INTP

Clearly, I am an unrepentant slacker! Fortunately, I am okay with that.

I'm a teacher now, and I do let my class out early when I've finished delivering the lecture that I have planned. Ideally, we're supposed to keep them the whole time (an hour and 20 mins, twice a week), but I'm very good at making my lectures succinct, and I know that keeping them beyond the planned lecture time would just be a lot of me giving them busy work and talking to hear myself talk. I don't believe in either, so I let them go, depending on how things work out, allowing for discussion and in-class activities. I don't feel guilty for it, but occasionally, I do get paranoid that someone is going to enforce the idea of keeping them the whole time, every time.

In an office environment, I do the jobs I'm given to do, and I use my time wisely and well. I'm able to get a lot done in a short amount of time, so again, I don't feel guilty there. I can get a job done in an hour that would take someone else three hours, or even all day. And it will be correct. If I'm done and there's something else to do, great. But if I ask, and find that usually I get told to empty the coffee pot or file something that doesn't really need filing because they're looking for some busy work for me, then I'll stop asking. I don't really believe in the concept of "I pay you, so I can ask you to go get my drycleaning or sweep the floor if I don't have anything real for you to do." I do the job I got hired to do.

I loved my graduate assistantship, because I had an NT female boss, and she respected me and my time. She gave me interesting, challenging work to do, and then when I finished, she let me study or work on papers for my classes. Because she had such faith in me, I volunteered to help her with all sorts of extra projects. She never asked me to do things like Xeroxing and filing--she did them herself, and gave me projects that required thought and creativity. Best boss ever.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Clearly, I am an unrepentant slacker! Fortunately, I am okay with that.

I'm a teacher now, and I do let my class out early when I've finished delivering the lecture that I have planned. Ideally, we're supposed to keep them the whole time (an hour and 20 mins, twice a week), but I'm very good at making my lectures succinct, and I know that keeping them beyond the planned lecture time would just be a lot of me giving them busy work and talking to hear myself talk. I don't believe in either, so I let them go, depending on how things work out, allowing for discussion and in-class activities. I don't feel guilty for it, but occasionally, I do get paranoid that someone is going to enforce the idea of keeping them the whole time, every time.
    I think that makes sense when you're a teacher, actually. It's about covering the material adequately in the allotted time. I've had teachers do this before.

In an office environment, I do the jobs I'm given to do, and I use my time wisely and well. I'm able to get a lot done in a short amount of time, so again, I don't feel guilty there. I can get a job done in an hour that would take someone else three hours, or even all day. And it will be correct. If I'm done and there's something else to do, great. But if I ask, and find that usually I get told to empty the coffee pot or file something that doesn't really need filing because they're looking for some busy work for me, then I'll stop asking. I don't really believe in the concept of "I pay you, so I can ask you to go get my drycleaning or sweep the floor if I don't have anything real for you to do." I do the job I got hired to do.
    I actually work faster than a lot of other people myself (despite the fact that I just learned how to do most of these jobs), but I don't like to advertise things like that, because I worry that they'd increase their expectations accordingly. Also, I guess I probably see it differently because my focus tends to be on meeting expectations rather than on whether my work has purpose.
    I loved my graduate assistantship, because I had an NT female boss, and she respected me and my time. She gave me interesting, challenging work to do, and then when I finished, she let me study or work on papers for my classes. Because she had such faith in me, I volunteered to help her with all sorts of extra projects. She never asked me to do things like Xeroxing and filing--she did them herself, and gave me projects that required thought and creativity. Best boss ever.
    Wow. You seem to like pursuing challenges and taking risks in order to stimulate your mind with your work. That's the kind of thing I've always shyed away from. I've always been afraid of getting into anything that's at my skill level rather than below it, because the idea of being challenged on a regular basis and expected to innovate frightens me. I'm basically afraid to let people know I can do those things, because I don't feel like I can do those things well on a consistent basis. It would be more interesting and meaningful, yes... but with a job? Surely it's not worth the risk.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I enjoy a chat around the watercooler, but greatly prefer to be active, or even taking on emergency projects with tight deadlines.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I was the manager of a small store in the distant past so often I had the place to myself. After finishing up all my work, doing everything that I could think of that needed doing, I was bored to death. I actually got to the point that I burst into tears. It wasn't long until I quit. So yeah, I've been there.

I can do boring work (for a while) as long as I'm consistantly busy, but I can't take too much downtime without wanting to go home, and like you, I can do nothing all day at home but I can't take it at work.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

garbage

No. I've got enough clout that I can take care of things like grocery shopping or exercising during the middle of the day and nobody bats an eyelash. I usually end up reading up on topics that both interest me and will help me in my career path or in my current tasks, though.

For me, however, "nothing to do" usually means that I'm waiting on someone else on all of the projects that I'm working on, that I have no further business development activities that I can take on, that my customers are all complacent, and that none of the other project leads need my help. I'm actually in that situation quite often because, like others here, I know how to work quickly and efficiently.

MBTI
    INFP

INFPish-like I scorn clock punching.

So I'd rather be overworked rather than underworked. The time goes faster and when I'm working at something I enjoy I can really get into it and feel disappointed when it's quitting time.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer