User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Blogs, journals, diaries

What purpose do they serve for you in private and public?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

In private, journals serve as places for me to express my concerns, worries, minor grievances, etc. In public, blogs (when I use them) serve as places for me to share things... from random thoughts to stories about myself, the things I've done, and probably more.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Journals help me feel like I have a voice.
    Help me collect my thoughts and feelings and organize them coherently and make sense of them -- find the patterns locked within.

They're a connection to my past too, so that I do not forget.
    We forget SO much, I think. I read things I wrote a year ago and think, "Ah gee, that old already, the brain deteriorating so rapidly? I had forgotten I had felt that... or thought that... or so-and-so said that to me."
    The connection brings me back to myself in a sense, giving coherence in my life journey.

Journals are also my voice to the outside world.
    For many years I felt like I did not have one.
    At least now I am uttering words that might fall on someone's ears (and do).
    And when face to face conversation is sporadic, or difficult to arrange, or doesn't allow as much opportunity to "go deep," journaling means I can just put myself out there and others can see it and hopefully know and understand me in large part, even if we haven't met yet.

Also my way to feel like I am contributing to the bulk of humanity.
    Not just a connection, but an offering.
    "Here's my life experience. Maybe it'll help you in some way -- provide clarity, act as a roadmap to avoid danger, provide options you didn't realize you had."

But I just can't not write. I started when I was about ten (and before then I was a voracious reader), and I've never stopped writing since.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    We forget SO much, I think. I read things I wrote a year ago and think, "Ah gee, that old already, the brain deteriorating so rapidly? I had forgotten I had felt that... or thought that... or so-and-so said that to me."
    The connection brings me back to myself in a sense, giving coherence in my life journey.
    You're very interesting and emotionally complex, but very difficult to understand. My attitude tends to be that the past only matters in terms of how it impacts the present. I would often rather forget the past and deal with what I am today. Your perspective confuses me. I don't know why.

Also my way to feel like I am contributing to the bulk of humanity.
    Not just a connection, but an offering.
    "Here's my life experience. Maybe it'll help you in some way -- provide clarity, act as a roadmap to avoid danger, provide options you didn't realize you had."

But I just can't not write. I started when I was about ten (and before then I was a voracious reader), and I've never stopped writing since.
    So many things I don't understand... the obligations, the sense that things are so universal and inevitable, that things apply in such a way, the whole sense of certainty in meanings. It's so strange.

I guess... thanks for sharing?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Journal can be used for venting and otherwise clarifying my thoughts. It's also a record of thoughts and random ideas. My public blog is for sharing ideas to people. I write articles that hopefully others find useful/interesting. It's also great writing practice for myself.

MBTI
    INTP

I think I agree with Jennifer's post. I find that it is really revealing and is an excellent way to codify things, so often the most intense and insightful things escape me because they are felt so much in the moment. I find when I have some method of getting those thoughts in a physical format that it's astounding the level of clarity into my mentality that it provides. I even find that a lot of the times that is when I do my best writing.

It's excellent in that regard as well, after reading back on what I wrote I always find my self initially awed and appreciative only to then be somewhat disgusted, but in a good way like I want to improve the focus, cohesiveness, and effectiveness of my writing. I think that sort of parallels my mentality in any endeavor but in written (Blogs, Journals, Diaries) format it is even more noticeable.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

This is primarily why I journal.

I want to remember. I also enjoy every now and then reading what I wrote several years ago. It helps tie everything together (the connection you speak of), and also can be enlightening as I can see a progression/evolution in my understanding of myself, and how my perceptions and thoughts and beliefs change over time, and why. Also building upon experiences. And with the really happy moments, I love re-reading, and thus reliving them.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

It does make a good way to record your own history. I use it for that, and sometimes as a way to discuss personal matters with friends (with a blog that includes granular security).

Sometimes I also toss random internet stuff on there, like youtube videos or links to stuff I need to look at later on. Sometimes I just vent.

It's a forum and a playground for my thoughts.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INxJ

My public blog is for me to rant about art. My private LJ is for me to talk about my life and the things I don't mind (or sometimes want) my friends to know. My private journal (real) is for the things I can't say to anyone.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I write a few scattered scrips here and there, whenever I'm in the mood. I find that it's good to write in order to process what I'm thinking about. Sometimes when I finish writing I find that what I was thinking about wasn't really all that coherent. At other times it fuels the fire. Also, it helps to let off steam. Because I've deposited my thoughts elsewhere, they don't have to remain in my conscious awareness.

Sometimes freeform writing is good to rev my mental cogs up and get to the point where I can actually produce meaningful material.