User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Changing/Evolving Personality Types?

I'm curious as to how many of you have taken the mbti more than once and got different results--- particularly if a few years passed between your tests.

Do you feel your most recent test is accurate? What changes occurred in your life that attributed to your change from, say, an 'E' to an 'I'?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Oh noes, my type is a-changin' before my eyes!

MBTI
    INxJ

In theory, it shouldn't change. Development of the functions, yes.

MBTI
    LoLz

A lot of people fail at introspection, so the tests get skewed.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

agreed with above. you are born your type and that type never changes. the external variables that you meet throughout the span of your lifetime might seem to "change" the results but cognitively you are always the same. remember, mbti is a model for the human cognition and not human behavior... to a point of course
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

eh, yea, type doesn't change. But test results do, (with me anyway) for different reasons from mood to not knowing how to interpret the question.

I've tested
    infp, enfp, esfp, isfp,
    and the rare estp or esfj.

conclusion: I have a lot of moods.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Type can change along the temperament axis (IJ EJ IP EP), but not between two differing temperaments. However, it takes a consistent continuous change of conditions for this to happen.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

garbage

When I first became interested in MBTI, I typed as an ENTJ. When I became interested in it again, I had been thrust into a lot of different situations that called for me to use other tendencies that were largely outside of that type, so I thought that I'd either changed or had been mistyped. When I stabilized, it turned out that I was right the first time, because I noticed again what came naturally to me and what didn't. My type hasn't changed, but I've learned a lot about my own weaknesses and have worked to overcome them.

If I'd taken the test at a younger age, I surely would've tested as some sort of introvert. I had crippling social anxiety when I was younger and didn't want to face the outside world (defined as more than just "other people") much of the time. But when I overcame that, the world revealed my own natural tendencies to me.. the tendencies that brought me the most fulfillment. My anxiety and depression were just barriers that got in the way of exercising those tendencies.

I think that experience tends to expose who we are and to balance us as we're exposed to many different aspects of life itself, but I don't think our underlying preferences change significantly. I do strongly believe that we can develop habits that are contrary to our type, however.

Perhaps the best test of one's type is a stressful situation, because you're more prone to let your instincts take over. The Introvert Advantage points to this as a way of determining one's introvert/extrovert status, and I think that principle can apply to type as well.

MBTI
    INTP

The Introvert Advantage? What is this?

Anyway, years ago I tested as an 'F' but have come to believe those results were wrong, or that, if right, I've since lost all 'F' about me. Recently, I took the MBTI Type II test, or whatever the more specific/intricate test is, in hopes of getting something more accurate. For the most part I think INTP fits, though I would consider myself considerably less 'dark' than many INTPs I've observed on here.

I wondered if any of you had had similar experiences...

MBTI
    INFP

I get differing results relatively often. I attribute this to failing at introspection and developing functions.