User Tag List

View Poll Results: Cat person or Dog person?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an extrovert and I prefer DOGS

9 10.23%
  • I am an extrovert and I prefer CATS

6 6.82%
  • I am an introvert and I prefer DOGS

23 26.14%
  • I am an introvert and I prefer CATS

38 43.18%
  • I am an introvert and I prefer neither cats or dogs

8 9.09%
  • I am an extrovert and I prefer neither cats or dogs

2 2.27%
  • I don't know if I prefer dogs or cats.

1 1.14%
  • I hate polls!

1 1.14%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I wonder if ones preference to cats vs dogs has to do with how control freakish they are? I'd imagine a control freak would prefer dogs because you can train them to do tricks and shit, while you try to train a cat they look at you like you have three heads before licking their privates.* Personally I like both, but I prefer owning cats I don't like telling other things what to do, though I also don't like being told what to do either. But friend's and family's dogs are awesome.

*dogs also lick their privates, my room mate's dog chews on his (the dog's privates, the dog is doing the chewing not the room mate, I'd be more disturbed otherwise)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I wonder if ones preference to cats vs dogs has to do with how control freakish they are? I'd imagine a control freak would prefer dogs because you can train them to do tricks and shit, while you try to train a cat they look at you like you have three heads before licking their privates.* Personally I like both, but I prefer owning cats I don't like telling other things what to do, though I also don't like being told what to do either. But friend's and family's dogs are awesome.

*dogs also lick their privates, my room mate's dog chews on his (the dog's privates, the dog is doing the chewing not the room mate, I'd be more disturbed otherwise)
    Could be part of it for some people, maybe, but for me and a lot of other dog people, it's more that dogs are less independent and want to be with you all the time. A dog will sit in your lap or follow you from room to room or whatever, and it's more of a companion-type feeling. I always feel like a cat could care less whether I'm there or not. I'm also not crazy about cats being so nocturnal. My dog will sleep until I'm ready to get up. Also, dogs are just such a friendly, happy presence. I'm a lot more carefree around dogs than I am around people. They just make me happy.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Dogs are too needy, I feel suffocated by them, and while they're cute when they belong to other people, I usually want them to go away after I pet them for a minute.

Cats, I adore. They understand privacy and space, but will give you love if they know you love them. I think I have a perfect, intuitive understanding of affection vs. space with most cats in my life, I actually find that only certain cats here and there are "too distant" most are just right.

Cats are where its at. I'm also a night person, don't know if that has anything to do with it, and rather socially introverted though I'm expressive and Ne dom.

I really hate anything that suffocates me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I wonder if ones preference to cats vs dogs has to do with how control freakish they are? I'd imagine a control freak would prefer dogs because you can train them to do tricks and shit, while you try to train a cat they look at you like you have three heads before licking their privates.*
    I think this is true too. Some dog people I've known (especially men who are dog owners) are control freaks who enjoy training their pets. On the other hand, my mom isn't really a control freak at all, she's just an ESFP who constantly wants companionship and loves all the needy attention her little yappy dogs give her when they're not out destroying the neighborhood, tracking mud in the house, or trying to pee on somebody's shoe.

Even talking about owning dogs makes me tired. Yeesh. This is probably also why I haven't had any children.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i like turtles.

(more serious note: i like both.)

I posted about this once before, but it really applies in this thread.

Research Shows Personality Differences Between Cat and Dog People
    Jan. 13, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas — There really is a difference between "dog people" and "cat people," according to new research from a University of Texas at Austin psychologist.

In a paper to be published later this year in the journal Anthrozoös, Sam Gosling finds that those who define themselves as "dog people" are more extroverted, more agreeable and more conscientious than self-described "cat people."

Fans of felines, on the other hand, are more neurotic but also more open than their canine-loving counterparts.

"There is a widely held cultural belief that the pet species—dog or cat—with which a person has the strongest affinity says something about the individual's personality," says Gosling, who conducted the study with graduate student Carson Sandy.

Yet numerous studies that have tried to tackle this question in the past have failed to find convincing evidence for consistent differences between the two kinds of pet lovers. Gosling's paper is the first to provide a clear portrait of what cat and dog people tend to be like.

"This research suggests there are significant differences on major personality traits between dog people and cat people," he says. "Given the tight psychological connections between people and their pets, it is likely that the differences between dogs and cats may be suited to different human personalities."

As part of the research, 4,565 volunteers were asked whether they were dog people, cat people, neither or both. The same group was given a 44-item assessment that measured them on the so-called Big Five personality dimensions psychologists often use to study personalities.

According to the findings:
    • Forty-six percent of respondents described themselves as dog people, while 12 percent said they were cat people. Almost 28 percent said they were both and 15 percent said they were neither.
    • Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extroverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people.
    • Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

open, neurotic, less agreeable, less extroverted, and disorganized...awesome, it's almost like my big five score

I'm a dog person. I want something to respond to.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm a dog person who leans toward the personality description of a cat person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    ...dogs are less independent and want to be with you all the time. A dog will sit in your lap or follow you from room to room or whatever, and it's more of a companion-type feeling.
    Yes, this is really it for me too. I like that they're so attentive and responsive. My girl always comes when I call her and stays near me when we go outside. Even if we're just walking around the house from the backyard to the front, she'll turn around and wait for me if she gets too far ahead. It's companionable and cute. Their enthusiasm and clumsiness cracks me up sometimes too.

I don't get why being introverted would make me feel smothered or whatever by dogs. They just want to be in the same room with you most of the time; you can still read or visit this board or do whatever you'd do anyway. It's not like they expect you to chat with them about boring stuff, like members of some other social species I could name.

MBTI
    INTP

Introvert, cats.