User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Why there are more bands & artists/musicians nowadays than in the past?

even some "bedroom musicians" , or "Myspace musicians"!
    it's like almost every young person/kid in Generation X or Y era would love to, and can make beats, music, and even want to form bands & be musicians , even though they should know that this means there is now a HELL lot of competitions in music industry , not to mention how HARD the music industry's situation right now caused by robust digital downloads, mp3, etc.
    why do these young people keep wanna doing it? ie: hence, there are more bands, artists and musicians nowadays than ever in the past, IMHO.

also, related to this, i've often heard how my parents' generation kept viewing us youth nowadays as "very spoiled" generation, "doing useless things" like creating music that will just be "wasted in another year or 2" by competitions, etc; instead of thinking about creating hard-physical business & big-money business like factory, manufacturing, etc!
    to them (generation baby boomer/our parents' generation) , it seems that Music, animation, design , "art/creative" stuff like that that we often do, is just "waste of time" and also "UNproductive" , or not a "BIG business" !
    have any of you ever heard (or got accused) of this?.. or is it just me?
    what do u guys think about this?
    need opinions.

(update: i've just made a new Blog, related with this topic! not entirely off-topic lol, it's going to be fun to read! please check it out, and feel free to leave comments! )
    Last edited by niki; 12-21-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: check out my Blog :D

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

its about quantity now, more so than quality like back then.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Not really. It's easier to get yourself out there (though not perhaps to get people's attention). Through the internet and stuff. What's wrong with trying?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Not really. It's easier to get yourself out there (though not perhaps to get people's attention). Through the internet and stuff. What's wrong with trying?
    its half as bad as doing
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    its about quantity now, more so than quality like back then.
    Excellent point. I agree.

I think its great that every closet musician/poet can share their work......but the quality is truly lacking ....

When is the last time we saw someone that was truly groundbreaking?
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. --- Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ISTx

It's gotten so easy to do. Musical instruments and recording gear is marketed and sold like it's a pack of gum. Getting the music out is a few mouse clicks away for anyone. It's easy and it's fun. Unfortunately, a lot of it hurts my ears.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

How can you tell if someone is groundbreaking in the moment? You need distance to see.

Quote Originally Posted by niki
    also, related to this, i've often heard how my parents' generation kept viewing us youth nowadays as "very spoiled" generation, "doing useless things" like creating music that will just be "wasted in another year or 2" by competitions, etc; instead of thinking about creating hard-physical business & big-money business like factory, manufacturing, etc!
    to them (generation baby boomer/our parents' generation) , it seems that Music, animation, design , "art/creative" stuff like that that we often do, is just "waste of time" and also "UNproductive" , or not a "BIG business" !
    have any of you ever heard (or got accused) of this?.. or is it just me?
    what do u guys think about this?
    need opinions.
    I don't know how true it is that your parents' generation doesn't value art. And it can be big business. I guess you're saying they don't value art?

I think there are lots of jobs in music and other creative fields that provide a reliable paycheck. Or involve lots of entrepreneurship. It's not all people fooling around.

MBTI
    INxJ

My thoughts (with being too impatient to read everyone else's replies) is that there's been a huge surge in "indie" bands over the last 10-15 years, and especially over the last 5 years or so, and the world audience is noticing, slowly, that there's this new sound, and it's generally pretty good. The number of these indie bands, that are actually touring and have albums out is outstanding, and most people on the surface, or in the mainstream, have never heard of music like theirs. It's underground. But these bands are able to survive because of the internet and their music being shared.

blah blah, etc. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    My thoughts (with being too impatient to read everyone else's replies) is that there's been a huge surge in "indie" bands over the last 10-15 years, and especially over the last 5 years or so, and the world audience is noticing, slowly, that there's this new sound, and it's generally pretty good. The number of these indie bands, that are actually touring and have albums out is outstanding, and most people on the surface, or in the mainstream, have <i>never</i> heard of music like theirs. It's <i>underground</i>. But these bands are able to survive because of the internet and their music being shared.

blah blah, etc. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    But it's so many people creating the same "new sounds".

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    But it's so many people creating the same "new sounds".
    the cream of the crop will always be few
    in any medium; this is how the world works
    its just that now the curve has been lowered
    I N V I C T U S