User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

there are several possible answers to your questions but here are a few...

there are more bands/artists/musicians because
    1. the population is growing so the absolute number of people in any given profession is growing as well (discounting the professions being replaced by new ones)
    2. easier to start a band, become an artist. some of the tools available today are very easy to operate so the barrier to entry is lower. of course, the barriers to excel are still high.
    3. exposure much easier to attain. there may have been a ton of garage bands before the internet but now they all are able to sell their music to the world without prohibitive distribution costs. so what might have already existed, is now not hidden away.

"sexy" industries will always have an overabundance of entrants.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    INFP

I think it's a combination of things. It's seen as cool if you can noodle on the guitar, and it's incredible easy to upload your "work" online. Teens easily have more spending money than they did in the past. My parents came from households where their parents only bought the essentials. I don't know how much guitars were back then, but it would have been seen as a frivolous investment by both sets of my grandparents. Now, people can buy generic guitars at Wal-mart, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I see a similar thing happening with visual art. People post short videos on Youtube, photos and drawings on DeviantART. I think it all comes down to the access to the tools and means to share their music. They don't have to "make it." A lot of them just want to have a bunch of plays on MySpace or show their hobbies. It's not a big deal. All of my friends had some form of creative outlet, but it was just that. It wasn't meant to make them rich and famous. People have always done that sort of thing, but you couldn't reach a global audience with a click of a button before. A lot of musicians fall into obscurity, overshadowed by what was popular or innovative at the time. (Don't worry, it'll happen to the MySpace kids, too.) Maybe there were loads of teenage musicians we didn't hear in the 60s and 70s while they were being angsty in their basements and garages. I'm sure the amount of MySpace bands we have now will make up for it. :rolli:

As for the second part...I don't know. How many older generations had something nice to say about the up and coming one? The culture is also different, and society emphasizes different goals and ways of life, so kids find different things cool at different times, and some parents may find those things to be so different from what they experienced that they shy away from it. I don't know...

I never understand the complaints about how horrible and/or bland music is nowadays. I like a lot of it.

ETA: This is pretty much a longer version of what miked277 said.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    its about quantity now, more so than quality like back then.
    holy crap agreed. im writing a blog on this that debunks modern day blues.

the use of modern day technology for making music has its pros and cons. its great because we now have an expansion of really great music and on the other end of the spectrum we have an expansion of really crappy music. unfortunately there is more of the latter then the former.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Well, today it is much easier to "get started". Also every person would like to be famous, and since it is already that easy, they just start a band, or a "solo carreer". Tho, I must say it is kind of disturbing sometimes. Not only because there are so many people who overestimate themselves, but also because it is a mess nowadays. Now we have this "quantity > quality" attitude allover. It is very disturbing to me.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INFP

hehe, and do you guys think since there is easier barrier of entry, and almost everybody (teen) doing it, there will be a lot who'll got shocked & turned down by the harsh Reality?
    be it they'll not going to be popular/famous as they thought, or lacking money/fame, etc.
    compared to the older generation's folks who seemed to be more "realistic" than our youths nowadays. yes? no?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I think most people have more realistic expectations than what you're saying they do.

MBTI
    INFP

update: i've just made a new Blog, related with this topic! not entirely off-topic lol, it's going to be fun to read! please check it out, and feel free to leave comments!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    My thoughts (with being too impatient to read everyone else's replies) is that there's been a huge surge in "indie" bands over the last 10-15 years, and especially over the last 5 years or so, and the world audience is noticing, slowly, that there's this new sound, and it's generally pretty good. The number of these indie bands, that are actually touring and have albums out is outstanding, and most people on the surface, or in the mainstream, have never heard of music like theirs. It's underground. But these bands are able to survive because of the internet and their music being shared.

blah blah, etc. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Yeah, and the idea that people can forge music careers without a big faceless corporation signing off on their record is encouraging, but you have to understand that these days anyone who can strum four power chords to a dancebeat and sing an intentionally nonsensical, quasi-goofball Rentals-style chorus is being "indie" or "cutting edge."

There are a few gems out there in this scene, but there's a reason most of them haven't achieved widespread acclaim.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because there's more free-time and well-being. Again, thinking about the economy as a whole, it's hard to see the objections of adults as particularly sensible: musical bands create demand for highly technical jobs, too (think about creating instruments and machinery to build them, for example), and perhaps in two or three passages part of their income is determined by a firm that sells to the entertainment industry. If we were to eliminate all the things they see as "superfluous", they'd probably be dirty poor too.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

back in the day people where also much more professional about being a musician. today its like a game or a joke, but they can get away with that. if being a musician is like a game then why make serious music? the quality of music today has really dropped off... its a shame
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1