User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    And again, where's your defense for the other types? The entire post is a big list of stereotype jokes; you guys are making us ENTPs look bad by being so sensitive to even the slightest, most light-hearted criticisms. (And moreover, I never realized how oblivious ENTPs actually are to the attitudes of others about them! Holy crap!)

Get over yourselves.
    You know, I tried to show you that something was obviously wrong with your own perception of ENTPs, NOT because I'm an ENTP myself (even if that helps), but because YOU were an ENTP and hence, narcissistic as we often are, I thought you would immediately react to my rant.

By doing so, I went straight to the point. I'm sure that if any other type would have complained, you would have probably half-ignored them.

And you see: I was correct. There is something personal in the way you defend, it proves you feel involved.

---

The question never was to "react to a light criticism", but to correct a false stereotype. I hoped it would help you improve, somehow.

I don't mind being criticized, but it has to be the truth if you want to be effective. And if you are reacting rather vehemently, it's because we are questionning the validity of your analysis (rational stance), not because we are whining about our belly button.

Anyway.

Again, I don't think there are a lot of misanthropic ENTPs. Some for sure (look at Nocapsy for instance, he shares a lot with you).
    We have dozens of horrible flaws you could have criticized instead: the fact we can occasionally behave like ill-mannered jerks (and not realize it), that we can lie and feel no guilt about it (or very little), that we are lazy, narcissistic, dishonest, have no conception of morals or ethics whatsoever, that we are attention whores and so on, and so on...
    But we are not misanthropes. In fact, the classical stereotype used to describe our impish nature is that we may even sympathize with our victims, just a few moments after having tormenting them, and share a drink to redeem ourselves.

According to a strict Jungian analysis, ENTPs are Ne-Ti-Fe (Si). This means that if we follow the theory to the letter, when you'll grow up, you should eventually look more and more like a Fe user, since the tertiary function is supposed to become the one you see the most on surface, on first contact (Even if our own tertiary Fe will never be used the way a "natural" Fe-user will).

That probably explains why a lot of ENTPs are fascinated with INFJs , but that's only my opinion (auxiliary Fe: they hold the key to better us, to balance us; they are our mentors, and we are theirs).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    You know, I tried to show you that something was obviously wrong with your own perception of ENTPs, NOT because I'm an ENTP myself (even if that helps), but because YOU were an ENTP and hence, narcissistic as we often are, I thought you would immediately react to my rant.

By doing so, I went straight to the point. I'm sure that if any other type would have complained, you would have probably half-ignored them.

And you see: I was correct. There is something personal in the way you defend, it proves you feel involved.

---

The question never was to "react to a light criticism", but to correct a false stereotype. I hoped it would help you improve, somehow.

I don't mind being criticized, but it has to be the truth if you want to be effective. And if you are reacting rather vehemently, it's because we are questionning the validity of your analysis (rational stance), not because we are whining about our belly button.

Anyway.

Again, I don't think there are a lot of misanthropic ENTPs. Some for sure (look at Nocapsy for instance, he shares a lot with you).
    We have dozens of horrible flaws you could have criticized instead: the fact we can occasionally behave like ill-mannered jerks (and not realize it), that we can lie and feel no guilt about it (or very little), that we are lazy, narcissistic, dishonest, have no conception of morals or ethics whatsoever, that we are attention whores and so on, and so on...
    But we are not misanthropes. In fact, the classical stereotype used to describe our impish nature is that we may even sympathize with our victims, just a few moments after having tormenting them, and share a drink to redeem ourselves.

According to a strict Jungian analysis, ENTPs are Ne-Ti-Fe (Si). This means that if we follow the theory to the letter, when you'll grow up, you should eventually look more and more like a Fe user, since the tertiary function is supposed to become the one you see the most on surface, on first contact (Even if our own tertiary Fe will never be used the way a "natural" Fe-user will).

That probably explains why a lot of ENTPs are fascinated with INFJs , but that's only my opinion (auxiliary Fe: they hold the key to better us, to balance us; they are our mentors, and we are theirs).

Yes I have a couple of very good INFJ friends and we seem to balance each other well.

"I thought you would immediately react to my rant." So you structured your response in order to get a reaction? That's awfully polemic of you, and it doesn't sound very positive toward people. You were certainly right that I would argue back--I was never the one trying to dispute the argumentative nature of ENTPs, but the fact that you, apparently, wanted to start an argument is kind of evidence for my point, isn't it?

For that matter, when did I ever use the term "misanthrope" or say that we hate all people? Being sometimes perceived as negative toward people does not necessitate that we hate them. You just listed LOTS of our characteristics which could quite easily and logically be described as "negative toward people": acting like ill-mannered jerks, lazy, dishonest, attention-whores, and so on. Lots of types would consider these to be very negative traits when directed at others. I don't think *anybody* will debate the fact that we're argumentative, either, and a lot of F types would consider this trait alone to be enough to label us "negative toward people", since they sometimes tend to see any sort of conflict as inherently bad.

We may have lots of other awful flaws, etc. etc., but I couldn't think of any others that had the initials E.N.T.P. off the top of my head. You speak of "false stereotypes" as if there's such a thing as a true stereotype--there isn't. It's just based on general perceptions of some of the people in a type, and if my "How do you feel about ENTPs?" poll had gotten any responses from SJs (who seem rather underrepresented here in general), I think you'd have seen more evidence that we are perceived as negative toward people more often than you think.

All of that is secondary, however, to the fact that it was a joke thread! Honestly, yes, I overreacted, but I just found it so ridiculous that you couldn't just shut up and take a joke. Better yet, educate me by using your own Ne to come up with some four-word phrases with the initials E.N.T.P. to show me what some of these "more accurate stereotypes" about our type are. That way, you'd even be contributing to the original (comical) point of the thread! Why couldn't you do that instead of intentionally poking at me for a reaction, as you've just admitted that you did?

Doesn't the fact that you were more interested in getting a reaction from me than actually trying to educate me (which seems to have been a secondary concern for you at best) prove at least some kind of negativity toward people/failure to exercise your supposedly well-developed Fe?

ISFP I Shan't Forgive People
    I Shall Fight Perpetrators

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ENTP-

Enjoys Nettling Tacky People

Elvis Never Tried Parsnips
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stars View Post
    *attempts to get things back on topic*

INFJ (some fit, some are just random lol)

intermittent nighttime frappuccino junky
    inherently not following jerks
    illicit narcotics for Jews
    indestructible, never fabricated, jaded
    idiosyncratic narcissist fondling jugs
    immaculate nexus facilitated judiciously (I think this one is PERFECT for INFJs.)
    Honestly, thank you for getting the original light-hearted point of this thread. Good ones!

Here's the part where Blackmail takes everything too seriously again and altruistically informs us all that illicit narcotic use and Judaism are clearly false stereotypes for INFJs!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you've never met me... and you wouldn't know me if you did.

I'm a chameleon, nobody hates me and I make sure they don't know me.

I don't think I'm alone in that either- I don't need to be told to get over myself- life made me do that. You can't do anything to me that life hasn't, so you might as well feel insignifigant there.

ENTPs grow up, and someday you'll do that too... and in doing so you'll get a lot less confrontational as well
    You know, one thing Blackmail is very much right about is our self-contradictory nature; i.e., your confrontational (and condescending) criticism of my confrontational tendencies. I just think it's cute that you're using a confrontational (and clearly slightly inflammatory; just enough to taunt me into an overreaction in shooting back at you and allow you to pretend it was unwarranted, thus making me appear unreasonable...very clever) tone to confront me about being too confrontational, that's all.

I'm typically not that confrontational, but Blackmail was obviously looking for an argument, and I gave him one. Plus, come on, this is the internet--the social rules for being confrontational are very different because anyone can painlessly walk away at any time by just ceasing to post.

I doubt very seriously that no one hates you. You'd be surprised. Lots of other types don't tend to share their honest feelings as readily as we do, and as such I don't see where any basis for such a claim would originate.

You're probably a lot less tactful than you think you are. I know that's definitely a problem that I and my other ENTP friends have struggled with our entire lives. You may view your interactions with others as simply curious or neutral, but a common ENTP characteristic is misinterpretation of the way others perceive us...as you are currently aptly demonstrating.

What you intend as simply playful or harmless may be taken by others as extremely offensive (this happens to me a LOT), and that was where the initial "extremely negative toward people" joke came from. It's more descriptive of others' perceptions of us than of our own.

MBTI
    IsTP

I'm not thoughtful, people.

About the only one I could come up with.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Every-nuance-felt person

Expresses needs for people

Elevates nerds, fumigates pests

Excessive necessity for procrastination
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Haha fumigates pests. Very good. That last one about procrastination hits home for ENTP too

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

ohhhh shit this is my 100th post, triple digits! Figured I would devote it to absolutely nothing.