User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I Never Fake Perfection!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It isn't even a stereotype for ENTPs. I think there's something you do not have understood... yet.

Here on Typology-C, I could easily find you an handful of ENTPs which never were "negative towards people". We are playful, impish, even in devilish ways, but that's completely different.

To be funny, your joke has to be accurate somehow. But it isn't.

I think there's a difference between "somehow accurate" and "totally perfectly accurate." It is somehow accurate because a lot of ENTPs are exceedingly negative toward people. Nowhere did I state that it was intended as a consistently accurate deep read on people's psychological inner workings, so shut the hell up with your NT-I-need-to-be-right crusade and appreciate a fucking joke.

That's like saying "racist jokes aren't funny because not EVERYONE from that race exhibits that behavior." No, but enough of them do that, even though we recognize that it's a stereotype which obviously not apply to ALL people of a particular group, it applies to enough of them to strike a funny bone. This is how stereotype humor works, get it?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Empathy Not For Pussies
    W00t!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think there's a difference between "somehow accurate" and "totally perfectly accurate." It is somehow accurate because a lot of ENTPs are exceedingly negative toward people. Nowhere did I state that it was intended as a consistently accurate deep read on people's psychological inner workings, so shut the hell up with your NT-I-need-to-be-right crusade and appreciate a fucking joke.

That's like saying "racist jokes aren't funny because not EVERYONE from that race exhibits that behavior." No, but enough of them do that, even though we recognize that it's a stereotype which obviously not apply to ALL people of a particular group, it applies to enough of them to strike a funny bone. This is how stereotype humor works, get it?
    What I'm desperately trying to say, is that being "exceedingly negative towards people" is NOT an ENTP stereotype AT ALL.
    So there's no joke, you just end up looking stupid, you see?

Either you like it that way, either there's something you have missed so far.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Thumbs down

What I'm desperately trying to say, is that being "exceedingly negative towards people" is NOT an ENTP stereotype AT ALL.
    So there's no joke, you just end up looking stupid, you see?

Either you like it that way, either there's something you have missed so far.
    Yes, you dolt; I recognize what you were trying to say, and I don't need the patronizing repetition of your point. That's why I vigorously attempted to refute it when I saw that it was something with which I disagreed. I didn't miss what you said; I just disagreed with it.

I'm going to take it a little easier on you because I read your profile and saw that English is not your first language. I certainly don't have the competence to argue in any language other than my first, so know that I've noted this.

But you must be walking, talking proof of the "ENTPs are oblivious" stereotype if you don't think that a significant portion of us create an impression of being self-righteous assholes. (Oh wait, let me guess...we as a group don't actually have a reputation for being oblivious, right?) Go read some of the threads all over this site about how other types tend to feel about ENTPs. Better yet, just do some research on your own and ask MBTI enthusiasts of other types what common stereotypes come to mind when they think of ENTPs! Seriously, please just ask around. (Hint: The negative descriptions people use for ENTP will probably not involve words/phrases like "passive", "ineffectual", "overly compromising", "too nice", or "not assertive." This should tell you something.)

And please, don't patronize me by implying that I based this data solely on my own personal experiences. I know a lot of other ENTs and a common thread (applies to some INTs as well) is that we all have a problem with inadvertently (or sometimes totally intentionally) pissing people off with our arrogance and argumentative nature. If you don't understand that, I'm not really sure what else to tell you except that you need to do some more reading on the topic of other people's perceptions of our type. It doesn't mean that these perceptions are always accurate, but it's simply ridiculous to claim that they don't commonly exist in the minds of others.

It's very telling, as well, that you only chose to nitpick the one part of the entire post that said something negative about your type. Personally I suspect that not only do some INFPs fail philosophy, some ESTJs *don't* actually thank Jesus on a daily basis, and even that some INFJs may actually be able to feel jolly once in a while! *gasp* For that matter, you're the only person who responded negatively to this post at all, and the ONLY part of the post you bothered responding to was the one about your specific personality type. Little bit sensitive? Sounds like quite a coincidence to me.

But you didn't jump on me for the INFJ ones, or the ESTJ ones, or the INFP ones, or for any of the other exaggerations/stereotypes I used to create the humorous content in this entry. Just as everyone secretly laughs at racial humor until it's directed at his race, you only got upset and felt the need to say something when I poked fun at your group! Where's your rational defense against the other 20-odd MBTI jokes in my post that clearly were intended as jokes and obviously do not apply to everyone in those types?

It's true, of course, that not all ENTPs are exceedingly negative toward people, but a simple poll of readers will quickly show you that we are perceived that way (whether justified or not) far more often than you seem to believe. And for the love of God, have you heard of sarcasm? If you couldn't discern the sarcasm dripping from every line of my post, right down to the subject line ("What your MBTI letters REALLY stand for!"), then again I'm just at a loss for words. Obviously I don't actually believe that ENTP stands for "Exceedingly Negative Toward People"; it's a joke based on a common perception of ENTPs, and please, please, please stop telling me that ENTPs aren't often perceived as arrogant or negative toward others! Seriously, that's just completely wrong. Just because it doesn't apply to *every single ENTP in the world* or even a majority of ENTPs doesn't mean that it's not a common enough attitude amongst the general population to generate a little harmless humor IN A THREAD MARKED FOR LIGHTHEARTED DISCUSSION.

The fact that you even bothered to point out "BUT IT OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T APPLY TO ALL OF US LOL" sounds rather annoyingly S to me. No shit it doesn't apply to EVERY SINGLE PERSON; that's so obvious it's not even worth pointing out. I don't give a flying fuck how many nice ENTP friends you have; there are just as many ENTP assholes running around, and TONS AND TONS of people in other types who actively avoid us because they find us so negative toward people in general! Christ. Try leaving your house once in a while and you'll probably meet some of them.

But no, as soon as I pointed out that you were flat out wrong about common perceptions of ENTPs, you couldn't let it go--you had to assume, like an asshole, that I'm an idiot and somehow missed your point the first time around. Wrong again. I got your point; it's just really, really inaccurate.

And pointing out that you can name "a handful" of ENTPs who don't have reputations as argumentative jerks (and never did) is not only irrelevant (extremely small sample size), but questionable on the basis that I doubt all of your ENTP friends are both able and willing to be totally honest with you about the intimate psychological details of their pasts. In short, you don't *know* if these people, nice as they may have taught themselves to be by now, were ever stereotypical ENTP jerkwads. They're not very likely to share that information with you if they ever were.

You've also demonstrated general ignorance about MBTI and the nature of true types by implying that deliberately developing inferior functions changes one's MBTI type over time (which it does not.) Read any book you want on the topic; they'll all tell you that consciously, intentionally practiced and learned behavior does not change one's true natural type.

Sigh. I think the funniest part is that you'll probably try to pass off your posts in this argument as some kind of altruistic favor to me, when in reality you're just another NT feeding your urge to argue, just as I am. If you want to know where the "self-righteous, argumentative asshole" ENTP stereotype comes from (and the "oblivious to the outside world" one, for that matter...), take a little closer look in the mirror tomorrow morning.

And for the love of GOD, drop the condescending age comments. If you really want to prove how smart you are (as ENTPs are often wont to do), do it by providing some real content in your arguments, not just spouting off age-gap platitudes and repeating obviously incorrect information.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

p.s.,

pwned

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

lol!!!
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh, Blackmail! is here!!!!

Let the arguing commence!!!!

`

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Short answer:

That's what I tried to explain to him: immature ENTPs are the scourge of Typology-C.
    Why did he never listen to ol'Granpa Blackmail?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

If you ever are a true ENTP, that would mean you've never really developped your tertiary Fe, or else, you would never have written such things about us.

I don't think the majority of ENTPs are "negative towards people", only young or immature ones. We can be bitterly sarcastic, manipulative puppeteers, impressive schemers, but in the end I think we will always remain fascinated by our fellow men or else we wouldn't be true extroverts. Our very nature is always self-contradictory.
    Someone needs to chisel this into a block of stone. THIS is quality posting. Esp. the last paragraph.