User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do Most People Make the Bed?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 41.74%
  • No

67 58.26%
First 7891011 Last

Thread: Making the Bed

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    Because some nights are cold and you need three blankets. Two days later it may be warm and you only need one blanket. Or maybe you sleep in a house where the temp is 70 when you go to bed, and 55 when you wake up in the morning. Layers make your bedding variable and keep you comfortable. Everything crammed into one cover that doubles as a sheets means you have two options: hot or cold.
    Summer duvet, Winter duvet. paired so they can be clipped together. Job done!

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, being as how my bed is also the family sofa, I kinda have to make it every night, then unmake it every morning, or else nobody has any room to sit, or conversely, I have no room to sleep.

Back in the fleeting time when I actually had my own room AND bed, well, what's to make? Pillow, duvet... takes a second really... I think I used to do it sometimes, depending whether the rest of the room was tidy...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP

I pull the covers up, generally, before I leave the bedroom for the last time in the morning. Sometimes it's difficult, depending on the number of books and pieces of clothing otherwise occupying the bed. And sometimes I forget to return to the bed to sleep at the end of the day. But that saves me the trouble of pulling the covers up the next morning.

OTOH, I do know how to make hospital corners.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by norepinephrine View Post
    I pull the covers up, generally, before I leave the bedroom for the last time in the morning.
    Same here. It doesn't really look that nice most of the time, but no one cares, and it's still pretty much "making the bed", anyway.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It depends on what demographic to which you refer. Rather few teenagers through early twenties make the bed because they are more tired from physical changes and are tired of being told what to do and having responsibilities laid on them. People who spend a lot of time online are perhaps more inclined to be looking away from their immediate world and so may have more of a tendency to overlook menial things like making the bed. On average lower income people might be less likely to make their beds because they are overworked, tired, and a little depressed, and aren't trying to impress people socially with their houses and belongings. Aging hippies might not make their beds either.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that most Baby Boomers make their beds as well as the people who live in upper middle class suburbia. The upper class probably pay people to make their beds. I would agree that there is likely an overall cultural trend at least in America away from making the bed that would go along with the whole dressing down of the culture. I'm not sure how the split would come out, but I think most people are inconsistent about it. Saying most people make the bed regularly I doubt would be true, but saying most people never ever make their bed is unlikely as well.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    It depends on what demographic to which you refer. Rather few teenagers through early twenties make the bed because they are more tired from physical changes and are tired of being told what to do and having responsibilities laid on them. People who spend a lot of time online are perhaps more inclined to be looking away from their immediate world and so may have more of a tendency to overlook menial things like making the bed. On average lower income people might be less likely to make their beds because they are overworked, tired, and a little depressed, and aren't trying to impress people socially with their houses and belongings. Aging hippies might not make their beds either.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that most Baby Boomers make their beds as well as the people who live in upper middle class suburbia. The upper class probably pay people to make their beds. I would agree that there is likely an overall cultural trend at least in America away from making the bed that would go along with the whole dressing down of the culture. I'm not sure how the split would come out, but I think most people are inconsistent about it. Saying most people make the bed regularly I doubt would be true, but saying most people never ever make their bed is unlikely as well.
    Wow, this all makes sense and it seems very well thought out. Awesome analysis

The only time I really make the bed is when I fold clothes because I fold them on the bed.
    6w5sp/sx

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I make my bed everyday.
    Pretty much everyone here does, people who don't are looked at as untrustworthy, lazy, messy, unreliable.

P.S. This post sounds just so bloody wrong in Lithuanian.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I made it really easy -- I have fleece sheets in the winter and t-shirt fabric sheets in the summer (fabrics that don't wrinkle), and I only use the bottom sheet and pillowcases. I have two different weight duvets with covers. So making the bed = shake out the duvet and straighten the pillows, and then I put a quilt over it all because the cat likes to sleep on my bed and she will sleep in the sheets if I leave the bed unmade.

If I had to tuck and fuss and all, it wouldn't get done.

It takes about 30 seconds and I do it the second I get up, before anything else.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Okay, okay, okay!

Sheesh! Do you people actually need a definition of "make the bed" to make the correct choice!?

So be it: To make the bed simply means to square of the sheet, blanket, and comforter so that it's straight at the top and not bunched up in any one location. Likewise, the sheet should be nearest to the fitted sheet, followed by the blanket on top, and then the comforter, or bedspread on top of that.

Now I ask you again. Based on my definition, do most people make the bed?
    I don't see how anyone would be able to know what most people do without conducting an extensive survey.
    Why didn't you ask, "Do YOU make the bed"?
    Did you not want to know that?
    Are you asking what we think most people do?
    Or do you think that we're stupid enough to think that everyone does what we ourselves do?

MBTI
    ESTP

I usually make my bed, but I generally have tons of stuff thrown away in the room, and I have to put it all on the bed during the day, otherwise I won't have where to sit.
    Making the bed is useful because the blankets cover all the stuff.

However, I make my bed even when there's no stuff in the room. It's not just a sleeping room, I spend there almost all my time and it's annoying to see the bed unmade.

OH, and I am pretty sure that most people make their beds. I mean, most people I know do.