First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I reiterate; trans fats will kill you a lot sooner than you'd die if you didn't ingest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Genetically I have the possibility of lasting more than 100 years, not so sure I want to stick around that long. I'm already shooting craps in the relationship arena, so the less time I have to go senile the better.
    Wrather go down while my mind is still operational
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, I know you would. You'll be missed.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

With respect to the one about the sun; all the sunscreens and avoidance of the sun have caused as many problems as sun burns do. Again, this used to be a much discussed and argued issue. It's less so now (a recent study - you can't find vit d on the shelves here right now), and I believe the reference in these questions was Michael Holick, if it was you can trust that one.
    I think this is one where you have to evaluate your specific personal risk and act accordingly. I've got a history of skin cancers in my family, I have super-fair skin that burns really easily, and I've had precancerous lesions removed already (I'm 31). With that in mind, yes, I wear sunscreen much of the time when I'm outdoors in direct sunlight for longer than a few minutes. I make sure it's a physical block, not a chemical block, and I don't wear it all the time (except for on my face, where the dysplasia was found).

The lighter your skin is, the less sunlight it needs to synthesize the vitamin D the body needs (which is why people with dark skin are more likely to get rickets, and African American women who breastfeed are recommended to give their babies a supplement with vitamin D).
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

There are some who think the increase in Fibromyalgia may be in direct proportion to the avoidance of the sun and a lack of vitamin D. Some researchers think the daily requirements for vitamin D are too low. Time and research will tell....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    There are some who think the increase in Fibromyalgia may be in direct proportion to the avoidance of the sun and a lack of vitamin D. Some researchers think the daily requirements for vitamin D are too low. Time and research will tell....
    Yeah, I've heard that too. I'm still more scared of cancer than fibromyalgia.

Edit: I've also heard that vit. D deficiency may be linked with certain cancers. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Since skin cancer is a tangible threat to my health, I focus on that rather than the boogeyman of future unknown cancers.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yes, I know you would. You'll be missed.
    everyone is greedy one way or another...

besides, with my luck (short of letting myself totally go) I'll end up living till I'm atleast 90 anyway. 10 years after my dad.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that too. I'm still more scared of cancer than fibromyalgia.

One can always take vitamin D as opposed to sunbathing to get it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    One can always take vitamin D as opposed to sunbathing to get it.
    I'm not a big believer in the bioavailability of supplements compared to the way our species evolved to meet that need, but it's better than nothing. And I do.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm not a big believer in the bioavailability of supplements compared to the way our species evolved to meet that need, but it's better than nothing. And I do.
    Another thing to remember is that we now live way beyond our normal means... by a huge margin. Certain things, and many that vit D are associated with, are concerns for things later in life - cancer, which are on both sides of the sun problem, doesn't normally show up till later in life.

Having just watched one of my elderly neighbours die from skin cancer, in particular because they were snowbirds that spend months on end in Hawaii, in the sun, I'm going to err on the side of brittle bones. I don't think I'll get the picture of his face melting over the year out of my head anytime soon.

His wife was diagnosed with it as well, just before he died.

As for getting enough vitamin D; my diet offered roughly 2.5x more than the recommended amount, before taking vitamins. I'm not sure where I would sit including the normal synthesis amount included.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I got...70.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D