User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

There isn't a cake big enough to fit the names of the other two, poor kids are destined to be deprived of cake forever more.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm confused about what we're deciding is fucked up, the kid's name or a discriminating bakery?

There's no law against naming a child a certain name (in the US, at least), but there are laws against discrimination.

I think the store should just grow some balls and stop giving in to this Anti-Defecation League nonsense.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Wow. lol People should apply for licenses in order to breed.
    That's interesting, because that's one thing those men were known and despised for: promoting Eugenics.

You would probaly be a good fit in Nazi Germany!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    That's interesting, because that's one thing those men were known and despised for: promoting Eugenics.

You never know, she could've been talking about the cake decorators!

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Man...this is both f**ked. The names weren't picked too well and also the bakery going all nuts. Tho, I can "understand" both sides.
    Still...I wonder what happens if one of the kids gets - let's say - famous. And then they have to put the name on a statue or whatever. Could look pretty bad.
    would be interesting to know of the parents picked those names because they just like them or because they like the persons who had them. I would be curious.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm confused about what we're deciding is fucked up, the kid's name or a discriminating bakery?

There's no law against naming a child a certain name (in the US, at least), but there are laws against discrimination.

I think the store should just grow some balls and stop giving in to this Anti-Defecation League nonsense.
    LOL. There are no laws against refusing to put a particular phrase in icing on a cake. Private businesses certainly can refuse service to people, especially if they refuse to be accomodated otherwise. Once again:

this cake was ordered for the child's first birthday, not his recent 3rd, (2) they wanted SWASTIKAS on the cake, not something you put on a first year's birthday cake. (3) they wanted it FREE and (4) when offered a compromise, they refused.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    would be interesting to know of the parents picked those names because they just like them or because they like the persons who had them. I would be curious.
    Recon it's pretty clear they're making a statement with the names. Doubt 'Aryan Nation' would have been classed as a name before now, still not sure that it really can be.

Biggest problem imo is these parents gave their children controversial names that will cause negative reactions and the kids are the ones wholl have to live with it. Whether you agree that they should be or not, they will be judged by their names, this is a fact. What kind of assumptions do you think potential employers will make when interviewing little Adolf Hitler Campbell, what do you think his chances are of getting fair treatment if the interviewer is from a minority race or has strong opinions on racial discrimination. They have the right to call their kids whatever they want but this isnt simply a case of an unfortunate name.

Gone are the days when people complain about being called Richard cause everyone calls em Dick eh.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hm.. I think that in the case shown, that a child should not be a victim in the parent's motivations. They can believe what they want and name their child how they want. The bakery has a right to refuse service, but I think personally they should have sucked it up for the sake of the child's birthday. (Although if the comment quoted later is true, my opinion would be different.)

I wonder where the line is drawn though for naming children.. I know there was an article about a judge telling them to change a nine year old's name from Talula-does-the-hula (or something like that).. I think that naming your child something awkward and uncomfortable because it's a family name or something is one thing.. but making a child struggle because of your personal interests seems more selfish than a parent should be.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Considering what the children's names were, I can't blame them.

I think it should have been illegal for them to name their children such offensive things. Their children are basically symbols of hatred and racial intolerance because of their names. I honestly think it would have been less offensive if they'd named them swear words instead of what they chose. Geez.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post

Except, I'm part Japanese. And a homosexual.

I agree with Trin. The issue isn't the name itself, but the effects it's going to have on the child's life.