User Tag List

12 Last

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default Financial Behavior

I was just wondering what people's spending and saving behavior was like.
    Do you budget your money? Do you clip coupons? Are you a maticulous saver or are you a whimsical spender?

Also what is your motivation and or attitude towards making money?
    Examples- Some people are motivated by money because of the status/prestige it brings, others because of the luxuries and social experiences they can have from it, others it is a begrudging means to an end-something they must make in order to take on dersired projects, others freedom to start a business and be their own boss eventually-independence, some focus on it for helping people and bettering a community and some for practicality and security.

I think every one of these or at least most of these examples can apply to any one person but I think still there is a main motivation. And I'm sure there are examples I haven't even thought of or missed!
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I was just wondering what people's spending and saving behavior was like.
    Do you budget your money? Do you clip coupons? Are you a maticulous saver or are you a whimsical spender?

1) Yes. I don't spend a lot. Anytime I think I want something, I sit on it and think about it until I'm absolutely sure I'd want it, need it, or use it. Most of the time, I don't want/need/use it.
    2) No. I'm too lazy.
    3) Meticulous saver.
    4) Most people need, at some point in their life, some amount of currency in order to live in our society (I don't say everyone because it's entirely possible that someone could live off of bartering and borrowing from others). As much as I tend to loathe the process of making money (read working), I recognise that in order for me to live comfortably, I have little choice but to go about that process.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm going to answer way different than most Ps, I think

Do you budget your money?
    Yuppers. And track it, project it and just play around with it. I like budgeting. Staying on it? Well... let's not talk about that.

Do you clip coupons?
    Not in a literal sense, but yes.

Are you a maticulous saver or are you a whimsical spender?
    I'd be a saver-investor, certainly not a spender or debtor.

A chore that must be endured, optimised and exploited.

My motivation is freedom, namely to retire, to travel and to have the time without commitments to do what I like. I'd probably have an easier time working once I don't have it.

The other side of it is that I think of money like a game. All the budgeting, the planning, the modelling, investing... everything is just a giant game of numbers. I have an INTJ to keep me actually doing what I model, otherwise I'd probably never get anywhere... but to trick myself into these habits, I most certainly have elevated money to a complex game of "Life".

heart on fire

We usually only buy the things we need. (except for books and magazines and we have a monthly budget for those items)

I tend to buy things when they are on sale, stores put most things on sale every three months so for dry goods and non food items it only makes sense to buy when it is on sale and save money.

I hate buying something full price and I will buy second hand if I can any time, especially books.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I am extremely frugal. I especially hate spending money on other people. I love to invest and I often make big purchases on various toys -- such as new computer hardware and video games.

I'm very shrewd. I am really good at collecting and saving quarters or other coins.

MBTI
    INTj

I love making budgets, but I've never kept one.

I'm frugal to an extent. I find myself spending nothing for several weeks, and then all of the sudden I spend hundreds of dollars at once. . . essentially on crap.

I'm guessing that I'll be forced to change very soon.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I have taken calculated risks, but dislike spending on myself. My austerity begets any frugality, so I don't work much harder than keeping a balance and a budget. In spite of some debt incurred by stillborn business a few years back and a terrible go of things in 2006, I have, by virtue of my 401k and other stocks, a positive net worth.

MBTI
    INTP

Excluding books there isn't much I feel the need to buy-- outside the necessaties of course.

I not obsessive about financial planning, I just avoid buying crap I dont need -- or want generally -- and cant afford, it seems to work.
    One by one, over the months, the other bulbs burn out, and are gone. The first few of these hit Byron hard. He's still a new arrival, still hasn't accepted his immortality. But on through the burning hours he starts to learn about the transience of others: learns that loving them while they're here becomes easier, and also more intenseto love as if each design-hour will be the last.

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

I can't go on, I'll go on.

Samuel Beckett - The Unnamable

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Disclaimer: I think I am quite atypical for my type because of my upbringing.

Budgeting: I have a budget to track what I spend and try to predict future expenses. However I don't even try to restrict spending according to the budget.

I am a meticulous saver and a whimsical spender. I constantly buy things on impulse, but I try not to buy too many expensive or unnecessary things on impulse. I am unusually cheap for my age--I have a reputation among my friends for it. I have a very strict policy of getting the most value for my money, regardless of what I'm buying, and I try to take advantage of sales when I can.

I try to remember to be generous about buying things for friends but it's hard for me to "throw away" money, even if it is the socially accepted thing to do. I do spend quite a bit of money (relatively speaking) on good food, social things and sports though, because it is worth it to me.

I have no debt other than student loans, and a fair bit of savings (at the moment, enough to pay off my student loans, if I wanted, but that will change soon). I would not be comfortable living without a good amount of savings to fall back on in case something happens.

My overall attitude on money: something to be spent reasonably for enjoyment/basic living, and saved for future needs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I don't tend to make budgets or anything similar. I mainly try to estimate the costs of things in my head, and make loose mental budgets that way. Mostly my money management involves spending low amounts of money, and not buying things unless I really plan to use them.

I do, though, sometimes figure out the cost of all my meals, to find ways to save food money.