Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default 90s Nostalgia

Okay guys. I grew up during the 90s experiencing the culture of that time period. For some reason I've been looking back to the past recently and really wanting to experience some of it. I've gone and looked up TV shows that used to be on then and started searching for them online :P, lol.

There's something about the 90s for me. And perhaps the 80s as well. It might be just because that's when I was a kid, but the times just seemed a lot better and more interesting. Post-2000, esp. maybe 2005 culture seems to be nonexistant. I look around and everything seems to have no unifying sound to it. It's as if all of it has been diluted, whereas decades before (esp. the 90s for me) seem to have a feeling that really resonates and I can pick up on.

For me, it seems like what came on TV and the ideas that went around in the 90s were more original than they are today, and had a more grassroots feeling to them. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.

So here's me:

Am I going crazy, or was there something special about the 90s?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You're just feeling sentimental.

It could be that it's difficult to see a unifying cultural theme from the inside. You'll probably have a better perspective of the 00s a few years from now.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Listen to Lateralus.

Nostalgia often ignores the negative parts of our memories and amplifies the positive.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Inferior Si reaction.

I was around in the 90's as well... it really wasn't that different, IIRC. The quality of some components were better because they weren't produced as cheaply yet, there was less of a weird bubble shape to logos and designs, and it was easier to download free music on the Internet without strings attached. The biggest positive is that since computers hadn't been made as user-friendly yet, the general intelligence of people online was higher, since you had to be somewhat smarter to use a computer back then. Those were the positives.

I also remember having to struggle with Windows 98 and 95 crashing all the time, and having to use dial-up modem connections that got knocked off frequently. And the N64 wasn't the best system Nintendo ever made... I was kind of disappointed with the selection of games for it, and the controller design. Those were the negatives.

However, I am sometimes nostalgic about the 80's, but that's probably only because I didn't live through them, and can thus idealize them more easily.

Or you are so nostalgic because that were much simplier times.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Or you are so nostalgic because that were much simplier times.
    Or maybe I'm just a nostalgic person in general >_>.

I was interested in the psychological aspect of nostalgia, and I found this article:

How Nostalgia Helps Us Cope With Loneliness | Newsweek Voices - Wray Herbert | Newsweek.com

MBTI
    ENTP

I was a 90s child, so sometimes I miss it too. I wonder if 00s kids will feel about this decade like I feel about the 90s (probably, yes, they will).

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen
    For me, it seems like what came on TV and the ideas that went around in the 90s were more original than they are today, and had a more grassroots feeling to them. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.
    Yes, happens to me too.

As Athenian200 said, I think it's a tertiary Si what makes us feel like that.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

PEACHES!

Back in the 90's, a band could make a hit song about Peaches.

(I can never get the damn youtube thing working)

MBTI
    ISTx

Mighty Max!!! (Boys version of Polly Pocket)

Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Mighty Max!!! (Boys version of Polly Pocket)
    Lol! Interestingly enough, now that you mention it, I remember playing with those.