Thread: 90s Nostalgia

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I had fun in the 90s too, but when you look at the 00s in 20 years, you'll probably feel similarly.

It's easier to find good music today than it was in 95. There's probably enough out there you'd never listen to the same song twice. You don't have to go anywhere or pay for it if you don't want to.
    In a weird way, I kind of miss buying CDs. Somehow it's more satisfying to spend hard-earned money on a CD than just pull it up for free on YouTube or Last.fm Perhaps, in a way, instant gratification isn't what it's cracked up to be.

If you're listening to the radio, I think the 90's produced better music. There were some really good alternative bands back in the day when 'alternative' truly was 'alternative.' Now, most of the popular stuff today sounds bland and unoriginal.

I hardly listen to the radio now. I mostly listen to my CD collection or whatever good I can pull up online.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yes, I feel that collecting the physical albums brings me a little "closer" with the band.

<---- Speaking of which, my avatar.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    In a weird way, I kind of miss buying CDs. Somehow it's more satisfying to spend hard-earned money on a CD than just pull it up for free on YouTube or Last.fm Perhaps, in a way, instant gratification isn't what it's cracked up to be.
    Having grown up with both vinyl and tapes (reel to reel, before we got cassettes), the CD promised to be the ultimate convenient cross between both (since they were smaller and eventually recordable, yet did not have to be wound through to find a particular place, and were not as breakable).
    But it was like as soon as the recordables came out, solid state and internet downloading made them quickly obsolete.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ

The media can influence the listening style. If I listen to Pandora, music plays in the background and I am not responsible for curation just vetoing if I don't enjoy something. If I use Spotify, I have to be more intentional and find that I listen to songs over and over and albums from side to side. If I listen to my own library, I feel like I am too cloistered.

With vinyl, you also get some of this intentional listening plus the added aesthetic pleasure of larger album art and the tendency to listen to entire albums. I enjoy certain albums side to side. With cassettes it was easy to make portable mixes. That is one thing I definitely miss.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Nostalgia

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I loved grunge, and miss how it was cool to wear grandpa cardigans. Also I loved op shopping before it was renamed vintage. I have a much treasured pair of doc boots.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I remember the 90s as an idyllic decade. Yes, there was war and starvation as always, but it seemed to be this naive and optimistic period between the cold war and the war on terror (and everything that goes with it) where everything seemed possible and there was little evil in the world. Things were in bright colors, loud and fun! ESXP paradise! Change for the better was in the air. An endless party.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Noon liked this post

I was going to say Miami Vice, but that was 1984-1990. What happened in the nineties?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I was going to say Miami Vice, but that was 1984-1990. What happened in the nineties?
    Grunge.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    What happened in the nineties?
    Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden etc.

or as Guff more simply put it: Grunge.
    Likes Noon liked this post