User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: 90s Nostalgia

MBTI
    LoLz

Hmm, was he an SP or NT? Decisions...

edit: WTF am I thinking? He's ENTP. A schemer? Oh god, an ESTP wouldn't be interested. Now that I think about it, I'm starting to recognize ENTPs more easily. If anyone watched California Dreams, then Sly must've been an ENTP also.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    There's something about the 90s for me. And perhaps the 80s as well. It might be just because that's when I was a kid, but the times just seemed a lot better and more interesting. Post-2000, esp. maybe 2005 culture seems to be nonexistant. I look around and everything seems to have no unifying sound to it. It's as if all of it has been diluted, whereas decades before (esp. the 90s for me) seem to have a feeling that really resonates and I can pick up on.
    Am I going crazy, or was there something special about the 90s?
    I think this is fairly common - but it's not nearly as specific to a given decade as to how old *you* were in a given decade. To me, the 90's seem to be exactly as you describe the 2000's - bland, overcommercialized, and basically boringly homogeneous (I grew up in the 70's and 80's). Don't get me wrong, there is some music in the 90's I liked, but that's more the exception, rather than the rule. Whereas the 80's, and to a lesser extent, the 70's, seem to me to be much more alive and vibrant. My parents would say the same thing about the 50's and 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Or you are so nostalgic because that were much simplier times.
    This, but more so in that as someone who was growing up in the 90's, who didn't have adult responsibilities, you were more in touch with the cultural (I use the term loosely ) characteristics of the time you were coming of age, so to speak. It's not that the times were necessarily simpler (they weren't), but that your perspective was different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I was a 90s child, so sometimes I miss it too. I wonder if 00s kids will feel about this decade like I feel about the 90s (probably, yes, they will).
    I agree - I bet they will (although it makes me cringe - and when the time comes, I bet you cringe too ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Mighty Max!!! (Boys version of Polly Pocket)

Argh. I had one of these. And The spider one too.

Looking back I liked a lot of miniature things.. micro machines.. etc.

The 90's were pretty fun, but looking back it all just seems hazy to me. Lots of good music came out of the 90's thou.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Pepper Ann ...

I also had one of those Mighty Max pocket toys.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg"];[/YOUTUBE]
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i'm obsessed with late 90's-early 2000's pop culture because i guess those were my formative years and those are the things that stuck with me the most. but i also love things from the early 90's (especially music) that i was too young to enjoy at the time (born in 1991).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I remember that '90s movies didn't constantly rely on the shaky-cam and those fancy camera moves that only Robert Zemeckis and David Fincher can pull off. Not that I mind fancy camera moves (such as the camera flying through the grate of a ventilation shaft) or even 2500+ CGI-enhanced shots, but the shaky-cam just pisses me off.

MBTI
    yupp

I liked the 90s i often rewatch shows from the 90s to see if my perspective was scewed cuz i was a kid and if they actually sucked. they usually suck.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Okay guys. I grew up during the 90s experiencing the culture of that time period. For some reason I've been looking back to the past recently and really wanting to experience some of it. I've gone and looked up TV shows that used to be on then and started searching for them online :P, lol.

There's something about the 90s for me. And perhaps the 80s as well. It might be just because that's when I was a kid, but the times just seemed a lot better and more interesting. Post-2000, esp. maybe 2005 culture seems to be nonexistant. I look around and everything seems to have no unifying sound to it. It's as if all of it has been diluted, whereas decades before (esp. the 90s for me) seem to have a feeling that really resonates and I can pick up on.

For me, it seems like what came on TV and the ideas that went around in the 90s were more original than they are today, and had a more grassroots feeling to them. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.

So here's me:

Am I going crazy, or was there something special about the 90s?
    I dont think its mere sentiment and I dont think you're going crazy.

There's a few distinctive things which I think have changed, there's less structure than there was then, less division on the basis of age and stage of life, this is all easily discernable by thinking about TV program scheduling then and now.

There's a lot less in the way of having to wait or defer gratification between then and now, so dates like birthdays, christmas and other occasions are less significant, you dont have seasonal TV scheduling like the big movie premier because it will have been on TV a dozen times on different networks just because by then. Perhaps the same goes for gift giving and receiving or consumer items too I'm not sure. The same goes for food even I think, stuff that you could have had in a more limited supply is more readily available now.

The scheduling also goes to originality and talent, there is less of it, in part because people are demanding nostalgia trips and its easier for networks to punch that up or do a remake or gritty reboot than take a chance on something new, the same thing has happened in the cinema. Plus there's been major changes in what are peoples goals and consequentially major changes in what people aim to do when they are at university and afterwards, I'm talking about the UK but I see the difference it has made in broadcasting, screen writing, comedy etc. that one generation of comedians and writers are fading away and no one is around to replace them, certainly no one as talented.

Another thing, no one has any money at all, that is the principle players in the media able to produce things do not have the resources to take the chances that they did in the eighties. Its all been rationalised and cut away. So instead of having a tight schedule which reflects particular age groups with presenters, not announcers or voices (although even those have gone too), its gone. There are entire networks dedicated to partiular programmes or tastes running all the time but its different and that also relates to the scarcity-post-scarcity thing I mentioned before.

Although those trends are going to be different where ever you are.

Personally I just think there's a lot of things done for a fast buck and there's a lot of things which are manufactured now and everything is about the bottom line and percentage. Video games used to be local, national and amatuerish in production but it meant games were more fun a lot of the time, also games were mad, who would have come up with the ancient suit of antirad or stormbringer or other things like that now? Check out any of the nostalgia youtube clips for commodore or spetrum to see what I'm talking about.

There were also a lot of cheaper comics, newsprint paper ones, they came and went but they were affordable, same goes for games magazines, which were aiming at a younger age group than a lot of them appear to now.

Basically I think people decided to stop having fun and made a lot of money instead. Then they got precious about their money and it stopped circulating because states wouldnt tax it, so it never got out to people who were still creative like it did before.