User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Are alpha males and females necessary anymore?

In a biological and social sense, is there any modern need for the alpha and female roles in society? How has the role of alpha personality types shifted in the last 50 years or so?

Just as a frame of reference I'm talking not over-the-top, pop cultural machismo or queen bee/diva caricatures. But I do notice that whenever people talk about alpha males and females it tends to be in the context of sexual conquests.

The most gender neutral definition of an alpha I can find is:

Ambitious, self-confident, competitive, opinionated, aggressive, results-driven achievers who insist on top performance from themselves and others...

In the business world...they fluctuate between healthy and unhealthy alpha tendencies: their magnetic leadership commands respect, but their aggressive tactics create resistance, resentment and revenge; people stand in awe of their competence and can-do energy, but they often hate reporting to them or being in a team with them.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I would posit that in the business world, the alpha male/females are the ones who keep folks from becoming too lazy and lose sight of the prize. Keeps folks motivated.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP

Gotta have the annoying little buggers. Yup. They are an unfortunate necessity. Heh.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INxJ

Yes. They are still vital for making everything run correctly in a professional milieu. They accomplish objectives and reach goals. Without them, who would run corporations?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Gender roles are becoming more and more nuanced and differentiated as time goes by. Especially in the West.

There will always be a spot for alphas though.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, even in a biological sense. An alpha male is more likely to achieve success, thus more likely to be able to properly care for a family.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Yes, even in a biological sense. An alpha male is more likely to achieve success, thus more likely to be able to properly care for a family.
    I don't know. In the wild - speaking about animals - alpha males tend to mate with an higher number of females and reproduce more. I don't think that this can be applied to nowadays' humans, so the natural selection argument towards the presence of alpha males and the like is something I don't find convincing.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't know. In the wild - speaking about animals - alpha males tend to mate with an higher number of females and reproduce more. I don't think that this can be applied to nowadays' humans, so the natural selection argument towards the presence of alpha males and the like is something I don't find convincing.
    Yes, but even today alpha males are significantly more likely to have sex, and they're much more likely to sleep with multiple different partners than non-alpha males.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Yes, but even today alpha males are significantly more likely to have sex, and they're much more likely to sleep with multiple different partners than non-alpha males.
    It doesn't seem to be true from my perspective. Many of the people that fit the description of the first post tend also not be extremely social. When I look around, I see that the people that get laid the most to the largest number of partners are very extraverted and charming partygoers rather than competitive and driven guys.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

An Alpha Male is one who can influence and lead other MALES. If he can do this, the women follow.