User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    An Alpha Male is one who can influence and lead other MALES. If he can do this, the women follow.
    Yeah FDG read the post above.

I'd say it's useful in other situations as well.
    I remember when I played on the college tennis team, I wanted to make sure I made me presence recognized. I changed my persona to be an alpha male after studying it online and it definitely worked. I swear I beat most of the teammates on the ladder because they became more passive mentally, and almost wanted to lose. And it worked outside of ladder matches as well. Just the presence of an Alpha male makes people feel uneasy and submissive I'd say.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post

I remember when I played on the college tennis team, I wanted to make sure I made me presence recognized. I changed my persona to be an alpha male after studying it online and it definitely worked. I swear I beat most of the teammates on the ladder because they became more passive mentally, and almost wanted to lose. And it worked outside of ladder matches as well. Just the presence of an Alpha male makes people feel uneasy and submissive I'd say.
    Interesting. I have seen that strategy used in regards to my fencing club. I have yet to apply it to tennis, but I will now.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post

I doubt that you can become one just by studying psychology. Perhaps you looked so funny acting not like yourself, that other males where secretly making fun of you for being so gung-ho on something like college tennis. And I still have not changed my mind on the fact that the alpha male described in the first post is not the person most likely to reproduce.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I was actually going to describe to you what I meant, but since obviously you're going to get personal, I won't bother.

Reason for me not willing to explain to you is below.
    And PS, this isn't a personal attack on you. I'm just going to disregard your attempt at insult. Since you probably won't understand, I won't try to explain what my post was about.
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ability to understand: below average
    ability to grasp relationships: below average

I think my weakest point are introverted tasks (reasoning, understanding, meaning)
    And Back to the OP, after reading it again, I don't think there is a necessary NEED for an Alpha Male/female, but there will always be one. I definitely notice more "Alpha females" more prevalent in our society.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    In a biological and social sense, is there any modern need for the alpha and female roles in society? How has the role of alpha personality types shifted in the last 50 years or so?

Just as a frame of reference I'm talking not over-the-top, pop cultural machismo or queen bee/diva caricatures. But I do notice that whenever people talk about alpha males and females it tends to be in the context of sexual conquests.

The most gender neutral definition of an alpha I can find is:
    They never were neccesary.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

It's ideal to hold the potential as possible leverage of an alpha male - although, I don't think it's a justification to power, nowadays (per se).

I'm not sure what distinguishes an alpha male anymore. The term is probably useless, or at least, only a fragment of what it used to be. The great majority of humans (at least in the west) don't exactly fight their way to the top of society or in the same way it happens in the animal kingdom. If anything, I think a real alpha is a dangerous individual by modern society's standards. I might have had some friends in this category, but they're either dead or in prison. In another time, they may have fared better. But power in society is now measured by different standards...and guys like them have been etched out. It's probably all for the better too. You can lead with just an idea these days. Or you can just be born with a lot of artificial priveleges.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    They never were neccesary.
    Concur and disagree. In the evolution of human society, a strong, confident leadership was necessary to calm the otherwise archaic world, especially at the early points of human social growth. There is a problem though, and I think I can sum it up in one of my favorite quotes:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure, and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell, possibly on George W Bush and Barack Obama

Over-opinionated views notwithstanding, the setting of order and systems in the world was necessary to the progression of humankind, however, there is a strange turning point in humanity today: We're so used to listening to the loudest and the most forward we fail to realize the more hesitant, uncharismatic and quiet may (though not always) be making the better arguments. People are won over by the pleasing aesthetics of Alpha males and females, but fail to see the lack of depth.

I think it's quite past time we move on from the conventional Alpha is best standpoint, but it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Also, I understand this argument may be biased to who I am as a human being, and that sometimes Alpha figures do turn us to the right approach (though just as often not), but every opinion is a little biased to the person. That's essentially the idea behind an opinion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The sexual and financial alpha are indistinguishable to me because they both come from the same addiction to conquest and domination. Alphas will continue to exist as long as people let their impulses steer their behavior. In fact, they'll even exist after that, i.e., once people are conscious enough to control their impulses and live responsibly, they'll just blend in with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Concur and disagree. In the evolution of human society, a strong, confident leadership was necessary to calm the otherwise archaic world, especially at the early points of human social growth. There is a problem though, and I think I can sum it up in one of my favorite quotes:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure, and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell, possibly on George W Bush and Barack Obama

Over-opinionated views notwithstanding, the setting of order and systems in the world was necessary to the progression of humankind, however, there is a strange turning point in humanity today: We're so used to listening to the loudest and the most forward we fail to realize the more hesitant, uncharismatic and quiet may (though not always) be making the better arguments. People are won over by the pleasing aesthetics of Alpha males and females, but fail to see the lack of depth.

I think it's quite past time we move on from the conventional Alpha is best standpoint, but it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Also, I understand this argument may be biased to who I am as a human being, and that sometimes Alpha figures do turn us to the right approach (though just as often not), but every opinion is a little biased to the person. That's essentially the idea behind an opinion.
    I'm not sure GW Bush is an alpha.. he's a prime example of someone born with artificial priveleges, isn;t all that impressive physically, and I can probably kick his ass (and I wouldn't consider myself Alpha).

Hell, not even the tougher appearing Dick Cheney is an alpha... since he mistakenly shot one of his friends in the face. Sounds like a goober to me.

Barack is where he is for non-alpha reasons too. He had an idea. OTherwise, he never displayed power in alpha like ways. Nor was he alpha in the typically assertive way. Apparently, in his youth, he was pretty solitary and contemplative.

anyways, I agree with your overall point though.