User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Default we live in the era of 'distraction' ('info overloads')

any of you 'feel' , or agree with this?
    it seems that especially starting on Gen X , i think, where technology is rapidly increasing in almost exponential manner, which resulting in these things: birth of video-game consoles, Internet, cell phone (w/ many 'distracting' features also he2), iPod, Youtube, etc.
    not to mention that technology seems to make life very much more easier, which is of course good & make everything faster & more efficient, however, it also seems to give potentials of much "spoiled & pampered" life, than our parents' generations.

'cuz i don't know.. based from my observations & experiences myself, it seems that my friends, whose among the same generation with me, most (or many, i'd say about 80% people) share these perspective/thinking:
    1. Work needs to be FUN , or MEANINGFUL to them
    2. almost all of them admit they 'steal' their office-time by email, doing YM, MSN, or chatting using company's computer
    3. if possible, want to avoid 9-to-5 office dayjob
    4. even i've also found that many youths nowadays don't want to work in corporate environment. they want to become their OWN enterpreneur
    5. according to my parents, kids or young people nowadays "whine, or complain much much more (a lot)", compared to their generation, whom still don't have computer, video-games, Internet, Youtube, ipod etc. especially my grandparents, who have to work in the deep forest/jungle to cut trees (i even don't know 'how' to cut tree!) , and make the wood-logging business, as compared to me wanting to find an idea of making online-creative business, or "social enterpreneurship" business (to which my parents found this idea 'ridiculous', if not realistic, they said).

what do you guys think about this?
    can any of you relate?
    or perhaps have a say or opinion? please discuss.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I agree with this overall "distraction" hypothesis 110% , but I'm an INTP diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive..... AND I was raised in the US of A on television and Nintendo..... It's not about pampering dude, it's about being able to compete with an entire world that is more psychologically reinforcing than normal human interactions. THAT'S what the distraction is.

MBTI
    INxJ

What do you guys think about this?
    I agree with the observation of overload.

Can anyone relate?
    I don't relate with most of the perspectives.
    Last edited by 01011010; 12-12-2008 at 12:46 AM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I never listen to old people complaining about young people. It's probably a phenomenon that has been going on since forever. By the way, I don't completely agree with the observation: if I base myself on the great majority of my friends, work does not need to be meaningful; some of them prefer a stable job, some others want to make a career and reach financial success.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, Niki, the generation is really different than the one before. I would say that the idea of work and duty is changing quite dramatically, but I'm not sure if it is connected to info overload. My fathers generation feels they owe something to the society in a way that hardly any of them are comfortable not working, even if it isn't up to them that they get kicked out of the factory. I think the biggest thing here is that my generation is basically the first real consumer generation. We are supposed to have fun, enjoy, and so on. Their generation was kinda the transition from the duty generation to the consuming. We have this generation that was born after the war so they needed to build the country back up and they seem to be really obsessed with duty, and I basically understand that.

Anyhow, I think that even while I am not at all for the idea of consuming, I still have taken my attitude from the same idea. See, I think I have the right to complain about how the world should change and I have no idea of duty because I think the government and country is there FOR ME (a bit like the nintendo is there for me) as a service to make life easier or more fun for me. So... I'd say that most of what you describe can be traced back to consumerism.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    5. according to my parents, kids or young people nowadays "whine, or complain much much more (a lot)", compared to their generation, whom still don't have computer, video-games, Internet, Youtube, ipod etc. especially my grandparents, who have to work in the deep forest/jungle to cut trees (i even don't know 'how' to cut tree!) , and make the wood-logging business, as compared to me wanting to find an idea of making online-creative business, or "social enterpreneurship" business (to which my parents found this idea 'ridiculous', if not realistic, they said).
    I want to stress how wrong this reasoning is. Trying to create a wood-logging business in a familiar setting would - nowadays - result in a certain complete failure. High-level technology and automation of the wood-logging business have produced mid-to-high barriers to entry and sufficiently small margins, so that there is a strong need for large economies of scale in order to start a business of such kind. I am certain that the owners of, say, Facebook, are making a lot more money than the average owner of a wood-logging business.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

nolla & FDG : thanks for both of your great insights.
    what you said is true, nolla, we are living in the age of consumerism ever. and add that to the exponential technology & the resulting 'convenience & comforts' we have now, then it wouldn't be much surprise that parents kept looking at our generation today as "spoiled" generation..
    and FDG, you're correct. put simply, today's wood-logging business is probably already much different from the past era's. it's not the same anymore: the procedures, the mechanism, the technology, etc.
    back then, i remember my dad told me how it was still "relatively easy" to create that wood-logging business, and even furniture business. since there is less competition, and hence, still relatively few businesses in that sector.
    but look at now, competition is everywhere. and furthermore, it's becoming global competition, no longer only local competition! which make competitions becoming more fiercer nowadays.
    and besides, there's the ever-evolving 'trends' in technology, that people now even prefer plastic or synthetic furniture , not so much of natural wooden furniture anymore. which make it more harder now to survive, and added this with all the factors that you've mentioned, FDG, it does make me completly understand of why only FEW young people in our generation who wants to work in a factory, or wood-logging business, even in such still-developing country like Indonesia here!
    many of my friends even just want to start an online business (like Facebook) , including my brother, 'cuz they find it to be 'easier' to make profit, ie: relatively low costs, but can yield higher returns (passive income!).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    many of my friends even just want to start an online business (like Facebook) , including my brother, 'cuz they find it to be 'easier' to make profit, ie: relatively low costs, but can yield higher returns (passive income!).
    I'm afraid they'll find it just as difficult as managing any other business. They'll still have to wear just as many hats and deal with the same kinds of issues. For one, how to you make a profit off a social network? Sure, there's advertising, but how do you draw in participants with so many other social networks out there? They are going to have to be able to think a little bit outside the box on those bits.

Anyway, I agree with our generation as the generation of information and sensory overload. Our general lack of focus is our attempt to mentally juggle all the information we receive everyday. I don't think it's any easier for us, though. We have greater pressures on us to succeed than ever before. It's hard to get anywhere because there are more people out there who are just as skilled and as informed as you are. Sometimes I wonder if this competition will be our downfall.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost