User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Ok having read some of these hobbies, some of them are things I have wanted to try, but been held back out of nervousness that I would somehow fail at them.

Especially the piano, I have always wanted to learn it, I think it's good to see such varied interests, although I noticed we all seem to have a penchant for writing in some form.

So lesson learned on this thread for me, stop being so nervous, and just go for it.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

Oberon

Creative writing in prose and dramatic forms (a novel, short stories, screenplays, radio plays, a stage play, etc.).

Target shooting (both pistol and rifle), bullet casting, and reloading ammunition.

Fishing and hunting as time permits (which it generally doesn't).

Playing the violin-slash-fiddle at the amateur level.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Especially the piano, I have always wanted to learn it, I think it's good to see such varied interests, although I noticed we all seem to have a penchant for writing in some form. So lesson learned on this thread for me, stop being so nervous, and just go for it.
    Do it. It's never too late to start.

[Case in point, I watched a young friend of mine teach himself guitar without formal lessons. Now he's been playing six or seven years and he's excellent. It just takes some commitment / daily practice, even just 30 minutes a day, and lots of patience.]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Do it. It's never too late to start.

[Case in point, I watched a young friend of mine teach himself guitar without formal lessons. Now he's been playing six or seven years and he's excellent. It just takes some commitment / daily practice, even just 30 minutes a day, and lots of patience.]
    That case is very much like my friend (ESFJ), she taught herself the guitar alone, and infact most things alone, she never lets fear put her off. (you may sense my hero worship of her lol)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That case is very much like my friend (ESFJ), she taught herself the guitar alone, and in fact most things alone, she never lets fear put her off. (you may sense my hero worship of her lol)
    You will never hear complaints about the courage of ESFJs from me. That is one of the traits I admire about them: They plunge into something, driven by force of personal conviction, I wish to heaven I could do that sometimes. They amaze me that way.

My friend is an ISFP type, he just loves the feeling of the instrument and being immersed in the playing. His efforts consisted mostly of playing with other people as well as listening to (and playing along with) lots and lots of CDs of the groups he liked. I think anything worth playing (or doing) well is worth playing/doing badly for some time so that the skill has time to improve.

ps... I like your new avatar!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

My friend is an ISFP type, he just loves the feeling of the instrument and being immersed in the playing. His efforts consisted mostly of playing with other people as well as listening to (and playing along with) lots and lots of CDs of the groups he liked. I think anything worth playing (or doing) well is worth playing/doing badly for some time so that the skill has time to improve.
    Sounds much like my friend, they seem to have some ability to just instantly memorise a tune, the way it's played, the lyrics, everything. I can pick up the lyrics usually in 2 playings, but not the written music part of it.

ps... I like your new avatar!
    Yak sha much (bad Borat impression)

MBTI
    INTJ

My hobbies as of this moment in life include:

Reading Fantasy novels
    and chatting in forums that I find interesting.

What do you do in your spare time as a personal hobby?
    We share the two listed above. I also garden, photograph wildlife, snorkel (when I am doing another of my hobbies), travel to the caribbean, and bake.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    We share the two listed above. I also garden, photograph wildlife, snorkel (when I am doing another of my hobbies), travel to the caribbean, and bake.

I have only just started to take an interest in my garden, it's become like the wild out there lol, however before the weather changed in the UK, I was actually out there with some books about gardening, and some landscaping plans that my friend helped me out with.

I can not wait to get back out there, as I was really beginning to enjoy it.

I wish travelling to the carribean was a hobby for me, instead it's a out of my price range dream for now lol.

MBTI
    INTP

Another WoW player here, though I haven't played much in the past few months.
    I also like kakuro and killer sudoku, as I posted in another thread.
    I've taken some waltz classes which I really enjoyed. I'm looking into maybe taking some classes in other ballroom styles.
    I also watch TV, movies, etc.

*They had a thread about MBTI vs class on the priest forum a while back. Most shadow priests were NT and most holy priests were NF, and the super majority of both were introverts.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I think that must be the key to what i am missing, I am interested in other things, but not actively interested lol, your list was very long, and very interesting. I am way to shy to do acting though, does being an introvert not hinder your performance in anyway?
    Wow, you actually read all of my list,lol. I actually have reverse stage fright as I like to call it, the more people in the audeience the more comfortable I feel- the less people in the audience the more nervous- and yet the more people in the crowd when I'm not on stage the more nervous and the less the more comfortable I am.

When acting- you have a script and a character that you get to lose yourself in- so you know what to say and how to act- who to be and how to be and the people in the audience are there and yet are not there to you. It is a way to be detatched from people and yet a way to interact with people at the same time.

Being around people as myself in the crowd so to speak- I have no script and no idea what to say and do and this is very stressful for me. When acting I get to see what it is like being another person and how this person interacts with the world and there is just a power in that. I get to live out different actions and personalities in social situations and see how people respond to it without any personal responsibility or accountability.

I can be around people and make an emotional connection with them without having the stress and pressure on me to come up with everything needed to do so myself. I may be an introvert but I love being the center of attention and am a ham, but I don't think you have to be a ham to be able to be a good actor and be on stage.

I read your other comment about playing the piano and would just like to encourage you- if you are interested in something -GO FOR IT! If you fail- you fail- but it's no big woop-there's always tomorrow and trying again. And at least you tried it. What have you got to lose? If you don't try something you want to then aren't you losing anyway? If someone doesn't like it, say oh well I hate it for ya- deal with it! What matters is if you enjoy it! Go for it girlfriend, you will be surprised at what you are capable of and you'll see how you'll wow yourself!
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables