12 Last

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What's in a name?

"...That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    --Juliet via William Shakespeare

My supervisor at work today posed me with an interesting couplet of questions. She asked me if I could have chosen my name at birth, what would it have been? And then: Would you name your own child that name?

It made me think a bit, as my mother had originally intended the name 'Nicollette Rose' for me while I was still a bun in the oven. Instead, that sunny day in April, she named me one of the most popular 'A' names mothers bestowed upon their newborn baby girls in 1984.
    When I asked her why she didn't name me what she first thought of her response was that she 'forgot'.
    Putting aside my dismay that my own mother forgot what she had wanted to actually name me [and that I could have avoided years of confusion when answering to my name when somebody was actually calling somebody else ], I wondered if my name actually suits me or if I'd have preferred something different.

I replied to my supervisor that I would have chosen the name 'Esmé' [and no, for those familiar with Twilight, I did not get the idea from the novel It's a name I've liked before even knowing about the series' existence].
    I also said I would definitely give that name to my child. I do rather like it.

So...riddle me this, fellow forum surfers:

1. If you could have chosen your own name at birth what would it be? [and if you wouldn't change it from what it is now, how come?]
    2. Would you name your child the name you would have chosen for yourself?
    3. Do you believe that a person grows into their name or that the name they are given is 'destined' to be theirs? [i.e.- If someone is a 'Sarah', would she look as though she ought to be a 'Sarah', or as though she should have been a 'Bonnie'?]
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    IsTP

1. Will has suited me well, but maybe... I like the name Garrett

2. Yes.

3. No.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

1. Hmmm if I chose my own name at birth, it would probably have went something like "waaaaaaa waaa".
    2. I would want to give him/her the perfect name, one that is cool, but not too different that he/she gets made fun of for it.
    3. Names grow onto people, not the other way around.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If you could have chosen your own name at birth what would it be? [and if you wouldn't change it from what it is now, how come?]

I'm always very partial to uncommon names. I don't like how common my name is, but I don't dislike it either. It's just plain to me. If I were to going to name myself.. It'd probably be something very uncommon.

Would you name your child the name you would have chosen for yourself?

I already know my children's names. As far as I can tell right now, a girl would be Kyra or Kylee, and a boy would be Kale. I suppose I'm partial to K's Lol.

Do you believe that a person grows into their name or that the name they are given is 'destined' to be theirs? [i.e.- If someone is a 'Sarah', would she look as though she ought to be a 'Sarah', or as though she should have been a 'Bonnie'?]
    It is funny how sometimes people really do look their names. Chris's tend to be popular, and Josh's tend to be into some sort of sport so far as my observations have taken me. I think that definitely names grow into their owners. I've always been a bit sad that my name didn't have much thought put into it.. I think my children will have more meaningful names so mayhap they will like them a bit more than I do mine.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

1. Boomshiqua
    2. Yes
    3. The only reason we think certain names fit certain people is because we have experience with one or more people that happened to have that name. As such, I think it's silly to say that someone "looks like a <insert obnoxiously common name>."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

1. I'd choose something feminine like Uterella, or Boobalina

2. No, my child is getting a Russian male name (regardless of gender). Perhaps Mstislav, Dmitri, or Slavochka.

3. Names today aren't the equivalent of names in, say, ancient Israel, where your name was like a prophesy of the person you'd become. Most people "fit" their names because their names are one size fits all. Iow, my answer is n/a.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

1. When I was younger I did not like my name. But now I wouldnt change - John
    2. Possibly, but not for sure
    3. not much

ByMySword

1. Artorius. No I would never change mine. I love it too much. Chase- French descent. "Hunter".

2. Yeah, I want to.

3. In my case, yes.

MBTI
    ENTP

1. It doesn't really bother me, if I was given the opportunity to time-travel and change my name I wouldn't know what to choose, although I like unusual names.

2. As above, I would have little idea what to name a child if I had one (unlikely).

3. The idea that people grow to fit their name (and that a name represents a set of traits or characteristics) is rather silly. People say that 'she looks like a <insert name here>' either to be complementary or because they have seen many people with the same name, picked out the common traits and then projected them onto another person.

Some people spend ages trying to choose the 'perfect' name for their child (which is understandable in some ways), but in reality, there is no such thing. As long as you like it and it won't make the child the butt of playground jokes then any name is fine.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    "...That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    --Juliet via William Shakespeare

My supervisor at work today posed me with an interesting couplet of questions. She asked me if I could have chosen my name at birth, what would it have been? And then: Would you name your own child that name?

It made me think a bit, as my mother had originally intended the name 'Nicollette Rose' for me while I was still a bun in the oven. Instead, that sunny day in April, she named me one of the most popular 'A' names mothers bestowed upon their newborn baby girls in 1984.
    When I asked her why she didn't name me what she first thought of her response was that she 'forgot'.
    Putting aside my dismay that my own mother forgot what she had wanted to actually name me [and that I could have avoided years of confusion when answering to my name when somebody was actually calling somebody else ], I wondered if my name actually suits me or if I'd have preferred something different.

I replied to my supervisor that I would have chosen the name 'Esmé' [and no, for those familiar with Twilight, I did not get the idea from the novel It's a name I've liked before even knowing about the series' existence].
    I also said I would definitely give that name to my child. I do rather like it.

So...riddle me this, fellow forum surfers:

1. If you could have chosen your own name at birth what would it be? [and if you wouldn't change it from what it is now, how come?]
    2. Would you name your child the name you would have chosen for yourself?
    3. Do you believe that a person grows into their name or that the name they are given is 'destined' to be theirs? [i.e.- If someone is a 'Sarah', would she look as though she ought to be a 'Sarah', or as though she should have been a 'Bonnie'?]

1. Syntyche is ancient Greek for "with fate", though other translations say "that which speaks or discourses". A tyche is a spirit. (Pronounced: SIN-ty-kee). I believe it was the name of an Amazon too.

I wouldn't change my name though. It's too special a thing. I'm honored to carry the name given to me by my parents.

2. I don't know. It would depend. Lame answer, but true.

3. Good question. All the girls I know with my name are edgy, bookish, and artistic. I've wondered myself about growing into a name. My mother chose it because it means "great" as the word "magnus" is related to it. But another translation is "Strange". lol! I got that part, I guess.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious