eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    1. Boomshiqua
    2. Yes
    3. The only reason we think certain names fit certain people is because we have experience with one or more people that happened to have that name. As such, I think it's silly to say that someone "looks like a <insert obnoxiously common name>."
    Gone off of "Laquaffa" have we?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    It made me think a bit, as my mother had originally intended the name 'Nicollette Rose' for me while I was still a bun in the oven. Instead, that sunny day in April, she named me one of the most popular 'A' names mothers bestowed upon their newborn baby girls in 1984.
    Nicolette would have sounded rather like chewing gum to help you give up smoking...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Gone off of "Laquaffa" have we?
    Lol @ Laquaffa. I've honestly never heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Nicolette would have sounded rather like chewing gum to help you give up smoking...
    Only one consonant off, hehe.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INxJ

1. She asked me if I could have chosen my name at birth, what would it have been?
    The one I already have. I was almost named Jennifer. My Japanese father wouldn't accept less than his Japanese customs.

2. And then: Would you name your own child that name?
    No, it's my name. It would cause confusion when the name is called. If it wasn't, I might consider it.

3. Do you believe a person grows into their name or it's destiny?
    I don't believe in destiny. A name grows onto a person.

MBTI
    INFP

I think the subject of names is a fascinating one. And one I sometimes think about.

Did you know that children who are given standard common names are perceived in the classroom as smarter, more capabale than childen with more unique names?

The years my two children and their two cousins were born their mother and I chose names which we thought were "special" and it turned out that all four of our children's names were the top names chosen in those years.

Everywhere we went there were a multitude of mothers calling for their children with the same names! Confusing.

And here we gave so much careful thought to choosing something a little different! But I was glad to hear about the research that said more commonly-named children were better perceived.

When I was growing up the adults were named things like Gertrude, Elmer, Ethel, Myrtle, Homer. I kept thinking how funny it must have been to rock little baby Mortimer to sleep!

I am of the generation of Kathy, Fred, Diane, Julie, James, Donald. The other day we took a bus ride with some Seniors and when they called the role I had to laugh.

I wouldn't change my name and I don't think I look at people and think their names don't fit them.

This winter I lived for a while with a woman named Turia. She was very pretty and had smooth, chocolate-colored skin. But every time I said her name I caught a flash of a combination of the words "diarrhea" and "turd." It was really very unfortunate for me. And I finally took to callling her, "Hon."

Another thought:

When I was growing up there was a "dirty old man" named O.C. Mineheer who ran the local pool hall, a den of iniquity. And we kids were told to stay away from him. We secretly called him "Oh See My Rear."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

1. If you could have chosen your own name at birth what would it be? [and if you wouldn't change it from what it is now, how come?]
    I would have picked Wyatt. I think it suits me.

2. Would you name your child the name you would have chosen for yourself?
    Yeah.

3. Do you believe that a person grows into their name or that the name they are given is 'destined' to be theirs? [i.e.- If someone is a 'Sarah', would she look as though she ought to be a 'Sarah', or as though she should have been a 'Bonnie'?]
    It can go either way.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I love Wyatt. I knew a boy with that name. Also, Nicodemus. Shortened sadly to "Nick".
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

1. No, cause it's appropriate.

2. No, they deserve there own.

3. I don't see the correlations between names and people, except in my case.