User Tag List

View Poll Results: Delayed Intelligence?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suffer from delayed intelligence, too

9 56.25%
  • Most of the time, I think of what I want to say right on the spot.

2 12.50%
  • I wish I had delayed intelligence, so maybe my mouth wouldn’t get me into so much trouble.

4 25.00%
  • Other

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    No, you're not. The point is that there's no such thing as truly unselfish behavior, thus you shouldn't beat yourself up for doing something that people appreciate just because your motivations might be partially selfish.

Anyone who tells you otherwise just wants to put you down and be condescending/superior. Please don't believe what they said has any meaning. It doesn't.

I beg to differ *see bolded*.

Being selfish is something of an objectified subject-- usually, if one is being selfish, doesn't that mean they had the intention of benefiting from whatever it is they are doing? Sending somebody Christmas cards, knowing that it's likely you will not receive some from a select few, and knowing that those same people enjoy receiving those cards from you out of the goodness of your heart is not selfish. Nor is the joy you feel when you realize that those people are happy to hear from you. It's a reciprocated feeling which comes naturally to somebody when they have made another person happy...without having done it with the intention of bringing that joy to yourself. There is no selfishness in that.

After all, there are plenty of people who bitch and moan about sending out Christmas cards, or doing things for somebody else that might be helpful to them, wondering how it will benefit them. Those are the truly selfish.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    INTJ

Thank you.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Thank you.
    *nod* It's no problem

When I was younger, my cousin and I used to volunteer at our church on Thanksgiving to help feed the homeless who would come in for a meal. It was so nice to see their smiles, and the feeling I got from it was not my reason behind helping them. We did it because it was right, because we could, and because it was giving them someplace to stay for a day, out of the cold weather, and a decent meal to eat on day most people are with their families. How somebody could interpret that or your giving Christmas cards as 'selfish' or claim there's no such thing as an unselfish act is beyond me...
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

I'm one of those people who wishes I was a bit more delayed sometimes... And for all that I'm concerned with, good is good. We can share it, it doesn't only belong to the receiver.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson