User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Some other things I think people tend to do together unconsciously:

-Smile. It is almost impossible to look annoyed around someone you like when they're smiling and doing the whole high-pitched, "Smile. Come on...you know you want to..."

-Share a similar style of humour. I find I do this with friends and family...my style adapts ever so slightly to better mimic the style of someone I'm talking to.

-Gang up on someone. If people mutually dislike someone, they will band together without even thinking about it.

-Be more likely to watch a scary movie while in a group.

-Be more likely to try something new if the group, together, insists someone do something with them.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The funny thing about laughter, and what creates more and more idiots, is that it causes one to think something is funny but not know what that is.

A TV sitcom will naturally have the laughing track which tells you when to laugh. It tells its audience to conform to what society thinks is funny. But as you filter out the laughing track when you watch the show again, you'll find that the moments it's played (which often includes inside jokes I'm not even aware of) are often not very funny.

I always looked at the contagiousness of laughter to be intellectual laziness, and therefore, I refrain from it. In this way, I am able to develop my own brand of humor and thereby feel free.

The laughter in either a group or on a TV show is one of the many ways society and the media band together to control our thinking.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Yawning comes to mind first

I yawned when I read this post.

See, all I have to do is read about yawning...and it happens.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The funny thing about laughter, and what creates more and more idiots, is that it causes one to think something is funny but not know what that is.

A TV sitcom will naturally have the laughing track which tells you when to laugh. It tells its audience to conform to what society thinks is funny. But as you filter out the laughing track when you watch the show again, you'll find that the moments it's played (which often includes inside jokes I'm not even aware of) are often not very funny.

I always looked at the contagiousness of laughter to be intellectual laziness, and therefore, I refrain from it. In this way, I am able to develop my own brand of humor and thereby feel free.

The laughter in either a group or on a TV show is one of the many ways society and the media band together to control our thinking.
    i never pay attention to laugh tracks. it's either funny to me or it's not. so, no, i'm not "intellectually lazy" just because i find something funny that someone else does too. i'm sure i'm not so special as to be the only one who laughs simply because they find something funny either.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Some other things I think people tend to do together unconsciously:

-Smile. It is almost impossible to look annoyed around someone you like when they're smiling and doing the whole high-pitched, "Smile. Come on...you know you want to..."

-Share a similar style of humour. I find I do this with friends and family...my style adapts ever so slightly to better mimic the style of someone I'm talking to.

-Gang up on someone. If people mutually dislike someone, they will band together without even thinking about it.

-Be more likely to watch a scary movie while in a group.

-Be more likely to try something new if the group, together, insists someone do something with them.
    very good points!

MBTI
    INTP

I've also noticed this phenomenon with movies. I laugh far more at a theater than if I rent a video and watch it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Yawning comes to mind first
    It's because yawning equalizes the pressure in your inner ear. By adjusting the pressure within your ear, you affect the pressure on the outside throwing everyone else out of whack. They must then yawn to re-equalize there own internal pressure.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Llenyd View Post
    I've also noticed this phenomenon with movies. I laugh far more at a theater than if I rent a video and watch it alone.
    see? this is a legitimate question. and what are scientists out there doing? saving whales and shit! bah.

It's because yawning equalizes the pressure in your inner ear. By adjusting the pressure within your ear, you affect the pressure on the outside throwing everyone else out of whack. They must then yawn to re-equalize there own internal pressure.
    heh. yesterday, i told a girl that i was miserable because i would be cleaning all day, so she would have to have twice as much fun as usual or it would throw the universe out of whack, thus killing us all, and it'd be all her fault.

IOW, i like your answer.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    see? this is a legitimate question. and what are scientists out there doing? saving whales and shit! bah.
    Actually they're on top of it. Link

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Actually they're on top of it. Link
    this is why i love INTJs.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    this is why i love INTJs.