User Tag List

First 12

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So I've noticed, and it's probably just my bias, but stick with me. I've noticed that people who are vehemently opposed to alcohol then get drunk they actually like it, and end up becoming alcoholics some of the time. I totally forgot my point, someone make something up.
    Because once a person realizes that 95% of the things that they have heard about alcohol are utter lies, exaggerations or simply don't apply to them, all the doors swing open wide

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know what lies you are referring to, nose, but excessive drinking as a reaction to having the wrong information about something seems like an error in judgement to me. So it seems like it would be something deeper than that to me.

My generation was lied to regarding the effects of cannabis, but those of us who developed problems with it didn't use it to problematic excess because of the lies. That was a cover story.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    infp

Nozflubber hit it right on the head. You finally take that "brave step" into the underworldofhighschooldrinking and... ...it's not a big deal at all. Then half of these people go nuts, and the other half takes it in stride and decides to enjoy it once in a while.

This summer I was talking to a girl who lives beside two of my good friends. Two years ago we were talking at a New Years party and we were talking about how/why we didn't drink. I was somewhat of a moral crusader about the whole drinking thing (i.e. "it's the wrong way to have fun", "I don't need to put poison in me to have a good time", ect) and she was definitely a moral crusader (i.e. "It's disguisting that people think it is cool!!"). This summer she asked me if I wanted a pop (instead of a beer, like everyone else that was there). I said yes to the pop and used it to chase three shots of rum in a row, much to her suprise. By the end of the night we were stupid drunk together, diving into some pool in some random backyard down the street in our clothes. Then we went on the trampoline beside the pool, and then we crashed my friend's mom's office party in her backyard (we didn't realize it was his mom's party and not his, so we ran like hell after stealing some doritos).

Moral of the story is... well there isn't one, it's just an example of two former anti-alcohol kids who got drunk and had a great time

I'm by no means an alcoholic though, and I have never enjoyed it when I did drink more than once in a two week period. I have a solid, sober month before I ever even feel like drinking again.

...or maybe I'm saying that and the opposite will manifest

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    words are often the medium of compensation where actions (or reality) fall short
    not everybody is a mentally healthy individual with the disposition towards accurate introspection. people use words to compensate, to create verbally what they desire but aren't. a more important variable to consider is their motivation. for some people, it is a mental illness, for others it is a lack of confidence or acceptance of themselves, or denial of what they subconsciously know to be true.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I don't know what lies you are referring to, nose, but excessive drinking as a reaction to having the wrong information about something seems like an error in judgement to me.
    I'm not saying it's a concious choice of rejection and rebellion, I'm looking at it from a cognitive-processing perspective - people have to recalculate things in accordance with new incoming information. Most alcohol consumption is innocuous, but what is fed to teenage students are the extreme, the worst of the worst (like getting pregnant or getting killed in a wreck) and isn't that representative of what happens in MOST situations.

Once a young mind realizes they've been misled regarding alcohol (and other drugs - the propaganda you were exposed to about weed is good example), they understand their beliefs are defunct and have to re-establish the truth about these substances. When all prior information is rendered obsolete, they will do so via their own experiences.

If "I were King" .... then I'd try to foster an environment that includes alcohol as not such a big deal, like in France/most of Europe. It's not uncommon for teens there to have wine with their dinner... It's not a big deal and they learn, first-hand, what alcohol is like, and they do it in a PRO-social, responsible environment. I'm a big supporter of Amethyst - Amethyst Initiative - it'd be a small start in demonstrating to young people how to manage drinking (ACtually I think the drinking age should be 14/15, BEFORE people are allowed to drive), but any real-world experience is better than misinformation that's easily dismissable.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So I've noticed, and it's probably just my bias, but stick with me. I've noticed that people who are vehemently opposed to alcohol then get drunk they actually like it, and end up becoming alcoholics some of the time. I totally forgot my point, someone make something up.
    Cognitive dissonance explains all!