User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Soul Inspiring Deeds

Right now it seems like everyone I know is in a rough situation. Every time I turn around someone I know is losing a job or knows someone who just lost a job. In this environment its easy to lose hope and feel the burden, the anxiety of wondering about the future.

Every once in a while though you see something or hear something that makes your heart swell and you nod to yourself and think 'There really are some good people in the world'.

I heard a news story a few weeks ago about a woman and her family who had lost her home to foreclosure. On the day that it went to auction, she went to the auction house to get her own closure on losing their home, to essentially wave goodbye as it was sold for rock bottom price.

A business woman at the auction looking for good deals somehow found out about the woman and purchased their home back at the auction for her, no questions, no strings attached.

The same thing happened when I used to watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition. I would see all of these volunteers and people who genuinely wanted to make a difference and help sometimes complete strangers.

Even in my own life I have had help from people who need never have noticed me. I'm a single parent and sometimes things are difficult. I dont know what I'd have done at times without the unselfish and amazing love from friends and complete strangers.

I remember when I first moved to TN I had only a couple dollars in my pocket and needed to get a gallon of milk at the gas station on the way home from work. My daughter was then 4 years old and begging for some candy and I honestly could not afford to get her a thing. The old man behind the counter heard me walking through the isles with her and telling her we couldn't get anything today and when we got to the counter he asked her what it was she wanted. I was silently pleading with him in my head to not encourage her because I really didn't have any more money. She pointed to some gummy worms and he took them off the shelf and handed them to her and said 'Here you go, these are on me'. I nearly burst into tears at such a small gesture of kindness that meant more to me than he knew.

What are the things that you've seen or heard that helped renew your faith in people?
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP

Just the other day I was in the supermarket and saw a man struggling to put some items from one of those handheld baskets into a plastic bag. I was just about to ask him if he needed some help -- I've been inspired lately to be more helpful to strangers. However, before I could get the words out he stood up with the full bag and walked right out of the store without paying. Seeing how brazenly he did that really disturbed me.

Wait, you said renewed my faith. Sorry. I'll keep thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Unfortunately, such Things don't happen too much in my Environment. It's sad but it's Fact. But some Time ago I did have the Luck to have an Experience like that.

I was working my Ass off, as always. I just found some awesome Radio-Station where they play Halloween-Music all Year 'round. I really loved it because it helped me to work thru the very tough Time I was just having with my Boyfriend (he is my Ex now). Also I was being there for Everyone, at the same Time working a lot, taking Care of Everything and yeah, as I said the Things with my Boyfriend went downhill. It all really frustrated me and I did feel like breaking down in Tears but I couldn't. So that Radio-Station helped me a lot during that Time. It make me keep going.
    After I listened to it for 2 Days only, they suddnely stopped it and made it a Pay-Radio because they didn't have enough Sponsors anymore to make it work for free. I was VERY frustrated, because Everything seemed to break down. So I was very sad and I told a Buddy about it, when he asked me how I am. Meanwhile I tried to find a Replacement, but it didn't work. I was very frustrated.

The Day after that this Buddy wrote me a Message. He said I should check my Forum. I did and had no Clue what the Hell was wrong again now. I was still so very frustrated and disappointed by Fate. Still I clicked the Link expecting the Worst, but then I saw a Message going:
    "This is a Present for vani who always works so much and helps each of us out all the Time. Me and some others (here he listed the Names) got you a Membership for 6 Months for the Halloween-Radiostation".

I was crying, seriously. I NEVER got back Anything and not in such a Way anyways. Also I did NOT expect it, not at all.

Yes, I know...It was only a "little Thing", but it's those little Things who can "wow you" so much that you decide to keep your Faith up.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INFP

Hah, Fiver. I had a similar experience with a little old lady in the parking lot of the grocery store this summer.

I saw that she was in physical pain trying to lift her groceries into her trunk and scooted over to give her a hand. Apparently I didn't explain my intentions sufficiently in my haste to help and she reacted as though I was trying to steal her groceries!

NOT what I intended.

(Then I got pissed. Yup.)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

You people disappoint me. (Oh! The Irony!) Any more of these kinds of negative posts and I'm going to be forced to retaliate.

Now let me get back to my 'human appreciation' without raining on my parade dammit! :steam:

/compose

MBTI
    INFP

Ah, Misty. There must be something. You know, I can really think of very little I've seen lately.

I know!

Two winters ago I broke my foot and was using crutches. I had an appointment in the mall and as I was leaving, I had a struggle with the heavy double set of doors on my way out.

I heard running behind me and a young man had run all the way down the hall to help me with the doors. I was pretty impressed and grateful.

Better?

Second, more positive, thought: In my little part of the world I actually think some of our social climate has become more humane and friendly since 9/11.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Much better, thanks!

More like this please.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    What are the things that you've seen or heard that helped renew your faith in people?
    When my father was first in his coma so many people came out of the woodwork with offers of help. It made me realize how much richer he was than me in that respect, and how many caring people there are out there ready to drop everything when you need it most. He has always showed his love for people with his actions and commitments and that was something I really learned from him in that experience.

One younger friend of his was especially upset and was there every day with us and told me how when he had first been married and he and his wife had a baby with Down's Syndrome, his wife had left him because she couldn't handle the reality of it all and his baby daughter was hospitalized from the time she was born with congenital heart problems. At the end, they tried to perform heart surgery on her, but she ended up dying after several weeks in the hospital after they took her off life support. He told me my Dad was there every day with him in the ICU for weeks.

He also told me how when money was tight from all the hospital bills and the divorce that my father called him one day to ask if he was looking to sell his diamond engagement ring. The guy jumped at the chance to sell since he needed money. But, he realized later that my father had found out how badly he needed money from talking to his mom and he realized my Dad only asked to buy it as a way to help him without causing embarrassment.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Misty,

The gummy-bear story.. Made me choke up..

Stories that touch my heart? This one's personal.

I was 3. I can STILL vividly remember that day. It's seared into my brain.

I remember a time when my mom and I went to the swap meet (back then- we were DIRT poor) and left empty-handed. As we walk to our car, a lady from out of nowhere taps us on our back, smiles, offers us a blanket. My mom politely says "Thank you, but you really shouldn't." She said, "Take it. Please. Merry Christmas!" She walks away, graciously. I snuggled so closely to that blanket..

Simple acts of kindness can really leave lasting impressions for a long time. I will never forget that day. It's people like her who help me to not lose faith in humanity. I don't think how much she realizes she's influenced my life in our few seconds of interaction. Til this day, I still think of her, and thank her in spirit.

Gestures of love truly is potent. It continually nourishes us to grow, even through our MOST trying times.

Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing..

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yep. Them's the things that stick with you. Kind of makes you feel less alone in the world...