User Tag List

First 12

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I might have told this already somewhere here but....

I was having a bad hangover and walking to the nearby shop to buy some beer to fix it. There was this middle-aged woman coming up the hill with a bike full of groceries and a baby in the oven. She seemed like she is having a hard time, but she stopped when she saw me and said "God bless you" (in a non-judgemental way, meaning basically "god loves you too"). I was stunned and managed to say something like "thanks", but it really touched me that a woman who obviously has harder time than me takes the time to say something comforting to a total stranger as she saw I was not feeling too well...

MBTI
    ENFP

Ok, this is kinda long, but hopefully it's worth the read.

I stayed at a hostel in downtown Baltimore this summer and this girl kept borrowing my lighter one night. I finally went out and smoked a cig with her and we started talking. Somehow, in the span of 2 cigarettes, she told me about some pretty serious family problems and that she was flying to a friend's in a different state the next day. (Beats me why people always do this with me - ENFP thing, I guess).

Problem was, she had these 2 huge suitcases and no way to get them to the airport without a car. At first, I was just gonna offer to ride the light rail with her to the airport to carry one of the bags. Then I realized it would still be a huge pain in the ass, so I offered to go rent a car for a few hours on my Zipcar account. (And again...somehow renting a car for some kid I just met is a normal occurrence in my world - just go with it).

The next day, she asked if we could stop by the Edgar Allan Poe house/museum on the way out because she was a huge Poe fanatic. Supposedly, she had sold her iPod for gas money to come to Baltimore once before, but the museum was closed that day (no idea if that was true, but it does make the story better). By the time we got there, we were pressed for time and had to rush through the museum. The whole place was under camera surveillance, so the curator dude was watching how excited this girl was at seeing all this Poe stuff.

When we got done, he took down the barricades around this old chair of Poe's and let her sit in it so I could take a picture. He said the chair was appraised at over $100,000 and was normally off-limits to visitors (again, cool if it's really true). Also, you couldn't take pics in the front lobby, but he made an exception for us. When we were driving to the airport afterward, she told me the day before had been the worst day of her life and that day had been one of the best. As an ENFP, I can't think of anything better than being able to give someone an experience like that.

Wait...there's more...(I said it was long, right?)

We get to the airport to check in and there's $40 worth of bag check fees her friends didn't tell her about. At this point, I had $10 to my name 'cause I'd been on the road for so long and the kid had like $3 on a debit card. My bank account was way overdrawn and I had no credit cards.

The airline wouldn't let me call my mom and get a credit card number over the phone for the bag check fees, which was pretty lame since they take reservations over the phone. So we're wondering WTF to do with these suitcases if she can't take 'em. Not only was everything she owned in there, but I was flying out the next day and didn't have any place to take all this crap.

Then the guy in line next to us suddenly asks "How much do you girls need? Can you send me a check when you get home if I give you the cash?"

Hell yes I can!

We weren't looking to the people around us for help at all. He offered while I was still trying to convince the airline lady to let me call my mom. He gave us the money and his business card and she made her flight on time with both bags.

Turns out the guy was from Northern California just like me, which I thought was kinda cool since I was all the way across the country. Ok, I guess it's not as cool as it could be since I did end up having my mom send him a check, but I'm sure he didn't expect to actually see that money again. We both looked pretty ragged at the airport that day and had a total of $13 between us.

I ended up being out about $85 after the rental car and bag check, but it turned out to be one of the coolest days of my life. Like Viv said, stuff like that renews my faith in humanity, at least for awhile.

I've got a few other little things like that from the trip if anyone wants to hear more (not as cool as this one, but won't be as long either).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

What a killer story! Go, ENFP power! What a day!

On the news, I saw a bulldog drag his injured doggie friend to safety from the middle of a dangerous highway! O.o I was scared for them, but he saved his little friend! When the news anchor said they were both ok, I was so happy I almost cried!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A few months ago I received a phone call from a desperate, young ex co-worker of mine. He was asking me if I could, in any way, possibly meet him at the gas station a few blocks away and lend him about ten dollars so he could fill up his tank. Apparently, he had just gotten rehired at a new place and discovered he didn't have enough gas to make the 45 minute drive there, as well as make the return trip home. I, unfortunately, was pretty strapped for cash myself and told him all I had was five dollars and that wouldn't really get him very far. [Gas prices were still over 3 dollars a gallon at this point]. I was getting ready to walk up there and attempt overdrawing my account at the ATM so he could get to work, when suddenly he says "Oh my God...never mind...this lady behind me just gave me forty dollars for my gas."

She wouldn't give her name to him, nor would she accept it when he said he would pay her back somehow. It made me grin a little on the inside, because she clearly sympathized with his plight. For someone to give up that much money on gas, with as expensive as it had been, on a complete stranger nonetheless, is just awesome.

---

One Christmas Eve, when I was about sixteen, my family and I were headed out to my step-grandma's house for our regular get-together. We came to the stop sign at the corner of my old Middle School and strangely, off to the side, there was a man, all bundled up, lying flat on his back in the snow on the school's raised front lawn. My step-dad was ready to write it off, saying the guy was just goofing off, but seeing as he was all alone and his legs and arms were convulsed by tremors, my mother and I realized there was something dreadfully wrong.

We jumped out of the van and came to discover the man was unconscious and quite blue in the face. It seemed he had been there a while and there had been a few cars in front of us who had just kept driving after the stop sign. Either they hadn't paid attention [how they couldn't notice the dark blue against pure white is beyond me] or they simply didn't care enough to stop for a stranger.
    I ran across the street, frantically knocking at doors, but nobody would answer [even when I could see people inside through the windows]. Coming back, I had to check for his pulse as well as check to see if he was breathing because my parents are both hearing-impaired and it was just easier for me to try and detect both vitals.
    My mom opened the man's coat and shirt and we noticed a scar on his chest, likely from some kind of heart surgery. It was pretty evident to us, then, that he was suffering from a major heart attack. Luckily, someone drove up and stopped behind us and called paramedics on her cell phone. They arrived within minutes, as we were pretty close to the hospital and emergency center. I was...worried, scared that this man was going to die, wondering if his family was waiting for him...or if he even had a family at all.

We called the hospital on Christmas day and they wouldn't give us his name, but they assured us that the man survived and was in stable condition and had regained consciousness. We were pretty relieved and I was so...happy...to know that we made a difference like that in somebody's life when others chose not to help [on Christmas Eve of all times, you know?].
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENFP

Pink: Awww...I'm such a sap for animals - I would have been bawling like a baby watching that.

StoryOfMyLife: That's an awesome story. Doesn't get much better than saving someone's life on Christmas Eve.

Ok, this one obviously isn't mine, but this story blew my mind when I heard about it...

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - With two runners on base and a strike against her, Sara Tucholsky of Western Oregon University uncorked her best swing and did something she had never done, in high school or college. Her first home run cleared the center-field fence.

But it appeared to be the shortest of dreams come true when she missed first base, started back to tag it and collapsed with a knee injury.

She crawled back to first but could do no more. The first-base coach said she would be called out if her teammates tried to help her. Or, the umpire said, a pinch runner could be called in, and the homer would count as a single.

Then, members of the Central Washington University softball team stunned spectators by carrying Tucholsky around the bases Saturday so the three-run homer would count an act that contributed to their own elimination from the playoffs.

Full story: Sara Tucholsky - Chicago Tribune
    Here's the Youtube link: YouTube - Softball player carried around bases by opponents

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Pink: Awww...I'm such a sap for animals - I would have been bawling like a baby watching that.

StoryOfMyLife: That's an awesome story. Doesn't get much better than saving someone's life on Christmas Eve.

Ok, this one obviously isn't mine, but this story blew my mind when I heard about it...

Here's the Youtube link: YouTube - Softball player carried around bases by opponents

I remember that softball story! I thought that was the coolest display of good sportsmanship I loved reading about that.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENTP

We have to look out for each other. Great stories.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ

That softball story IS awesome.

A few years ago, I did a 360 in the slush with my van, and put my front end in the snow bank.
    I was pretty shook up.
    The very next two cars that came along stopped.
    The people got out of their cars, helped push my van out of the snow bank and we were all on our way.

In Maine, where I live now, that kind of thing actually happens a lot...
    people helping strangers, I mean.