User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default A metaphor for life: the mall parking lot

So this weekend my friend and I are in the massive throng looking for spaces. I know people get cutthroat over the holiday season but I was a tad surprised when my friend cut into oncoming parking garage traffic, jumped ahead of the three cars in front of us and zoomed into a space. It was a damn good space too.

Of course I felt the need to say it wasn't fair to cut in front of people like that and he's like "do you want to circle the garage for 15 minutes looking for a space?" And I mutter a weak "no, but you shouldn't have cut like that that's why people are getting killed shopping and I'm sure after all that food we could use the exercise, rah rah rah." And like I said it was freaking spectacular space so I wasn't too too mad, but still felt the need for some scolding.

I had two trains of thought concerning this while wandering around the mall. First:

I was watching footage of people running into Walmart at 4 AM like idiots and some of their faces are so full of glee like itĺs funny to be pushing people around. I mean I like a good riot to, but that's only at the club when you're an expecting an elbow to the base of your skull. It was like a sanctioned Fight Club or somethingůyou get to release your aggression during the holiday season under the guise of getting great deals and discounts. I dunno, it's animalistic and it's viewed as some type of sporting event. Retailers encourage this so they make their fiscal year. Alright, I guess so.

Second: I started thinking about the layoffs we're supposed to be having right about now at work. I knew while I was walking through the mall that I'm basically screwed. I'm not going to lose my job or anything like that (at least I don't think so), but what my friend did could be extrapolated to survival. I just don't have the chops to do innocent fuck the world shit like cutting into a space and I want to learn how to do this. I believe it is necessary to my survival. This is not gloating; I know that if it was a matter of bare hand combat or something I'd fight for my life but in the work world I can't see myself cutting people down like that even if it would be in my best interest to do so, which I feel is foolish. I see people do it daily. Is it wrong? I don't know, some people ensure their job security by employing these methods making themselves indispensable or throwing someone else under a bus and then have the nerve to offer a helping hand up. I can't figure this out.

I'm wondering what circumstances would have to happen to move me into a space where I'd just be like I'm going after it, to hell with everyone else.

Ahh, I love the mall, such deep thoughts.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

When I read this, I recalled what you told me long ago about you being a kung fu master with a shopping cart.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Nooooo don't do it PM! Don't become a meanie.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I was thinking something similar a few nights ago: how capitalism and ego have made so many problems in this world, and how countries are battling each other for resources while other people suffer for no clear reason except they want more for themselves. More power, more authority, more luxury, more pleasure. That mentality functions on the global level and the local level, with your friend, though to different degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Nooooo don't do it PM! Don't become a meanie.
    BAN HER!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    BAN HER!
    Look, I'm not gonna stand by and let her become a cranky pants, you...you...booger. :yim_phbbbbt:

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Look what you've done, Edahn. You made Hmm spew unseemly horrific profanities. I'm asking Buddha to thump your junk right now.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Trying to read that OP was kinda like driving around looking for a parking spot, then saying "F it" and going home.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Trying to read that OP was kinda like driving around looking for a parking spot, then saying "F it" and going home.
    Not to your liking Mr. Flak? Please explain.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm wondering what circumstances would have to happen to move me into a space where I'd just be like I'm going after it, to hell with everyone else.
    Only you can answer that, but I will say that I'm not the type to cut in front of people to get a parking space, either. It's not because I think it's wrong, it's because I'm too prideful to show that I care about the parking space enough to cut in front of people.

Regarding office politics, those skills are only useful if you have poor management. Effective supervisors will have a good idea of what's going on and won't be easily manipulated.
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Not to your liking Mr. Flak? Please explain.
    You can't make a joke serious!