User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What's wrong with hypocrisy?

I've just noticed that a lot of people complain about hypocrisy as if it were the worst thing a person could do.

Now, it's defined as:
    hypocrisy, n.
    1: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not ; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion
    But seriously, what's wrong with it? I hear people railing against it all the time, but they never seem to explain themselves... they just expect me to agree that there's something wrong with it.

I can see many situations in which hypocrisy could produce good results. For instance, if you realize that you need to respond with a different standard to a different but similar situation, you can do that.

Hypocrisy also allows you to keep your image consistent as you reexamine your actual values. The thing is, if you changed your image as quickly as you began to doubt your current values, you would change too rapidly for people to be able to get an idea of what you were like, and they wouldn't trust you. In many cases, you have to display hypocritical traits in order to be trusted.

There's also the advantage that it allows you to acknowledge that the choices you tend to make are not the best ones, and thus encourage others to choose more wisely than yourself, if they are able to do so.

Finally, I believe that most people (including myself) are hypocritical about something, consciously or unconsciously. I haven't met any who I would say weren't, but there might be one out there. So, what's the point of condemning it? What exactly would be the advantage if people were never hypocritical about anything?

Thoughts?

Hypocrisy is wrong because you are espousing a set of values you are yourself not living. In short you are living a lie.
    If people are not sure of where they stand on something they should say "I haven't decided" that's valid.

There is nothing so revolting as someone standing in moral judgment over you for something and then turning around and being immoral themselves.

What exactly would be the advantage if people were never hypocritical about anything?

Peace

MBTI
    INFP

Ok. Gonna do my health rant here.

A healthy person's outsides match their insides. (Hint for Tees and Esses: that doesn't mean that your face should look like your intestines. )

Someone who espouses one value and portrays another is out of synch and unhealthy. What happens when you hang around unhealthy people? You catch an illness. Do you want one? Generally, no, unless being one of the gang is highly desirable to you.

Another possibility with unwittingly wearing the hypocrite colors - because no one chooses this costume intentionally - is that among discerning people you will lose respect and credibility.

Remember "The Emperor's New Clothes?" He was the last one to know!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Hypocrisy is wrong because you are espousing a set of values you are yourself not living. In short you are living a lie.
    If people are not sure of where they stand on something they should say "I haven't decided" that's valid.

There is nothing so revolting as someone standing in moral judgment over you for something and then turning around and being immoral themselves.
    Isn't it rather confining to limit people's values to those that they are able to live themselves? Okay, what if someone believed that something was wrong, but still wasn't able to stop themselves from doing it?

And why shouldn't a person try to project a better image of themselves than is actually there, if the reality sucks? If you just project yourself as you actually are, you have no incentive to improve. If you project an image of yourself that's better than how you actually are, you have an incentive to live up to that image.

Peace
    Really? I think it would lead to war.

MBTI
    ENFJ

@Anja: So doctors and nurses are hypocrites by definition?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

What's wrong with it?

Don't know really, though ,if someone told me something I'm doing is wrong and bad and all that, and I catch them doing it later, I'm probably gonna be pissed.

It's lying basically.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't think it's matter of either/or. What it is, is a matter of what direction the person is moving toward - one of lies and deception or of healthy integrity.

That takes time to establish and mistakes will be made along the way but the general direction will be positive.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I
    And why shouldn't a person try to project a better image of themselves than is actually there, if the reality sucks? If you just project yourself as you actually are, you have no incentive to improve. If you project an image of yourself that's better than how you actually are, you have an incentive to live up to that image.
    You don't need to project your false image onto others to find incentive to improve. Projecting within yourself is enough.

Everyone is a hypocrite sometimes. That doesn't make it OK though.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

We're all hypocrites in a way- nobody wears thier hearts and minds on thier sleeves truly.

Without hypocrisy, society wouldn't work smoothly.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Ok. Gonna do my health rant here.

A healthy person's outsides match their insides. (Hint for Tees and Esses: that doesn't mean that your face should look like your intestines. )

Someone who espouses one value and portrays another is out of synch and unhealthy. What happens when you hang around unhealthy people? You catch an illness. Do you want one? Generally, no, unless being one of the gang is highly desirable to you.
    So, you believe that it's unhealthy, because people are better off with matching sets of values? Couldn't it also be unhealthy to deal with the stress of espousing certain values that aren't well accepted?
    another possibility with unwittingly wearing the hypocrite colors - because no one chooses this costume intentionally - is that among discerning people you will lose respect and credibility.

Remember "The Emperor's New Clothes?" He was the last one to know!
    Okay, that works, but that's just a practical thing. People have a problem with hypocrisy, therefore you will lose respect if it's detected. I don't see how that makes it wrong, though. That just means some people see it as a mark of poor credibility.