User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

"Everybody does it so it's okay." just doesn't fit for me. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    "Everybody does it so it's okay." just doesn't fit for me. . .
    But if everyone does it (and they do), then frowning on it is its own form of hypocrisy.

And now I know what dogs chasing their tails feel like
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think it becomes a problem when it involves power. For instance, if there is a person in power who has the ability to enforce certain rules or maxims, and they enforce those rules or maxims rigidly when it comes to others, it is quite despicable when they themselves don't follow the rules but are able to elide said punishment. Otherwise hypocrisy doesn't really matter, and is used more as a rhetorical device (to call someone on their hypocrisy, which I believe is some form of ad hominem anyway).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    hypocrisy, n.
    1: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not ; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion

I don't do any of this.

Why wouldn't society work smoothly?
    now we get into the interesting debate between connotative meanings and denotative meanings of words, but I probably shouldn't go there

Do you tell someone that their new haircut looks like a 3 year old went to town with thier play scissors?

When you see someone who you really dislike, but who has power over your job, are you nice to them or do you say what you think?

Do you pretend to be happy when your grandma knits you a sweater in a color and pattern that you loathe for Christmas?

These things could be construed as hypocrisy- presenting yourself as nicer than you really are- but if people didn't do them all of the sensitive people would continually have thier feelings hurt, and a lot of us wouldn't have jobs
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

but some people are too sensitive and need their feelings hurt. When I was a kid I was very sensitive, now I don't give a fuck about what most say. And the only reason why I don't care anymore was being bullied and having my feeling hurts and realizing later I hadn't died.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

I don't see any hypocisy at all in treating people the way I want to be treated.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I couldn't agree more. What is typically considered hypocrisy is something everyone does, and if you don't think you do then you just found what you're hypocritical about.

Following from your point, I'm particularly upset when people with high ethical standards are called hypocrites for not living up to them entirely. There's nothing wrong with having a high standard and not quite living up to it...it's called striving. The journey is never finished. You don't need to fully realize a goal to proclaim it a worthy one. Calling a person like this a hypocrite is just a way to drag down those with aspirations and make the name-caller feel better about not aspiring themselves. It's "You think you're better than me??" syndrome, and it disgusts me.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    now we get into the interesting debate between connotative meanings and denotative meanings of words, but I probably shouldn't go there (insert hypocritical point here)
    I got into a heavy conversation with thatgirl that I believe revolved around what you've posted here, whatever.

In this debate, thatgirl made the point that hypocrites do not exist. That hypocrasy does not exist. If you are lying, than that is what you are doing, and if you are deceiving or manipulating, than the words are already there as well. I believe her views are simply difference in the power of words in her mind as opposed to mine.. Whereas I personally think hypocrasy is more severe than a lie, she believes hypocrasy is a lie, and therefore should not have a seperate name. It was interesting.. but I digress.

It made me re-think what I exactly define hypocrasy as. "Feigning" something to be something else is not enough.. I believe hypocrasy is within human nature, and does need to be present to operate.. case in point: When a parent tells a child not to lie, cheat, steal, although they may do all these things, to teach them to grow up better than they were (which is hopefully the goal of all parents.).

It is when hypocrasy goes outside of the realm of what's natural that it transcends into something negative, hence the negative connotation of hypocrasy. Case in point: If a man beats his wife, but then talks in public and treats his wife like she's a gem while saying "No way! Those men are horrible for treating their girlfriends like crap!" sort of thing.

For this reason, I don't think hypocrasy is positive. I think the "coined", loose term that it has been used by society is a tool, whether human nature or otherwise.. which is what people tend to frown on as an escape from and denial of human nature and the harder truth. As far as what hypocrasy, in and of itself, truly is to me delves farther in it's use as a tool in life, and becomes a very specific form of manipulation and lying of those around you.

I think I can say the same for manipulation.. that if it is used beyond that of human nature and what's morally right for yourself, it becomes something negative instead of a tool.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I don't think it's wrong to believe in something even if you don't exhibit behaviour of doing it yourself. Or to change your mind about things. Or to suggest that someone do something according to certain values even though you don't. I would only say that it is wrong if you keep nagging them about it, or continuously bring it up- and, I think others have a right to complain.

For example, I once told a friend of mine that I loved trees. At another time after that, I printed a bunch of stuff on only one side, with lots of blank space wasted. She called my a hypocrite because I said I loved trees before. I was pissed- I was in a rush, and couldn't help it, because I couldn't control how it printed through the school library's printer. Furthermore I was printing it for our group, so I was angry at her for complaining.

Also, my values and opinions change frequently, I'd say. I think that everyone's do. Otherwise, you are not growing and developing through your life experience.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

ThatGirl

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is hypocritical.......

Hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue.

Is it too high a price?

Vice, I am told, doesn't come cheap.

But everyone wants to be good.

Are those who seek merit simply meretricious?

Anymore than those who seek vice are vicious?

Do the vicious and the meretricious sleep in the same bed?

Or are they merely hypocrites?