User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 55

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think people are most offended when hypocrisy comes from someone who is trying to teach or preach something. The idea is basically, "If you don't practice this stuff then why should I?"
    Yeah, When someone is preaching or teaching and not walking their talk. Disgusting.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Everyone is a hypocrite sometimes. That doesn't make it OK though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

    Ironically, it sounds like you're agreeing with me implicitly while disagreeing with me explicitly.
    Ha! You make me sound like such a hypocrite.

    I'm saying that humans are humans and we all fail to do what we say we are going to do.
    That is not being a hypocrite.
    A hypocrite is someone who holds you to a standard they themselves don't practice.

    I should have said everyone says they are going to do something and not do it. That doesn't make them a hypocrite. My mistake.

  3. #23
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    but it doesn't explain why people look down on it in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think people are most offended when hypocrisy comes from someone who is trying to teach or preach something. The idea is basically, "If you don't practice this stuff then why should I?"
    I definitely feel strongly that the term hypocrit is a coined function. Just like people coin a term and use it for similar, but not exact, purposes. It's come to mean any sort of lying, gilded natures, anything that falls short of the truth. Someone acting happy around people could be considered hypocritical now-a-days.

    It's my belief that people look down on lying, although it happens all the time. Hypocrasy, as a coined phrase, is grouped into that. Lying is immorally wrong, especially if your religion preaches against it, so it's a bit natural for people to consider hypocrasy as more the lying aspect of it all.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I should have said everyone says they are going to do something and not do it. That doesn't make them a hypocrite. My mistake.
    I agree with this entirely. Hypocrasy would inhibit, essentially, our ability to correct others. Without the input of others, we would think of ourselves as great and fantastic, with no flaws.. I can only imagine a world where we think like that.

    My father smokes, but always strongly discouraged us from it. Prohibited as a child, and looked down on as an adult. He's being hypocritical, but I don't look down on him for being that way. I think the only time people DO look down on hypocrasy is merely because they don't like being told their wrong.

    Pointing out that someone else does the wrong thing doesn't make what you did right, but since that's easier than admitting you're wrong, people just resolve to dislike the act of being hypocritical in the first place, absolving them, conveniently, from the truth. (This seems a bit ironic to me, since that's what they claim they want by hating hypocrasy.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

    My father smokes, but always strongly discouraged us from it. Prohibited as a child, and looked down on as an adult. He's being hypocritical, but I don't look down on him for being that way. I think the only time people DO look down on hypocrasy is merely because they don't like being told their wrong.
    I guess people have different reference points when it comes to the word hypocrite.

    Your example of your Dad I suppose is being a hypocrite but he has the best of intentions and he is probably being honest with himself and you of his weakness.

    My reference point is more along the lines of people who preach some kind of ethic, they stand in moral judgment over others but their own life is incongruent with it. It's more of an abstract ethics based thing to me.

    If your Dad told you not to smoke and then boasted to his friends about the latest brand of smokes he got that would make him a hypocrite in my eyes.
    It's an intellectual honesty with yourself and others that matters.

  5. #25
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I guess people have different reference points when it comes to the word hypocrite.

    Your example of your Dad I suppose is being a hypocrite but he has the best of intentions and he is probably being honest with himself and you of his weakness.

    My reference point is more along the lines of people who preach some kind of ethic, they stand in moral judgment over others but their own life is incongruent with it. It's more of an abstract ethics based thing to me.

    If your Dad told you not to smoke and then boasted to his friends about the latest brand of smokes he got that would make him a hypocrite in my eyes.
    It's an intellectual honesty with yourself and others that matters.
    My example was using the word hypocrite in the "coined" phrase it's being used as today, my apologies for not clearing that up earlier.

    I think we're thinking right along the same lines though. Hypocrasy, in it's entirety being followed as defined, is wrong and looked down upon for the obvious.

    What we, as a society, claim to be "hypocritical" though is merely human nature. It's a phrase people use to conveniently avoid having to deal with the harder truth and human nature in general. It is easier to lump in all of those annoying pesky logical conclusions under the harsher mask of hypocrasy.

    Because let's be honest. How often have you told someone "Don't lie, it's bad." and they have retorted back "You do it as well! Everyone does it!" and then went on a tangent about hypocrasy?? I hear this all the time, to the extent I fear my eyes rolling right out of their sockets sometimes from over use. The "hypocrasy" people frown on in their daily lives is not the same as hypocrasy as the word is used and properly defined as.

    In summary: My response to the OP is that hypocrasy is looked down upon because people don't like hearing what it has to say. What someone has done in their own lives does not necessarily invalidate good advice, and people use the word hypocrasy as an easy escape from it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

    I think we're thinking right along the same lines though. Hypocrasy, in it's entirety being followed as defined, is wrong and looked down upon for the obvious.
    I think we are on the same page too.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Okay. So I'm following wolfy and kyuuei and getting lost with Ahthenian and others. Predictably.

    Are some of you saying that there's nothing wrong with hypocrisy because it greases the wheels of society?

    That sounds to me like saying, "There's nothing wrong with stealing as long as I'm the one benefiting from it." to me.

    I stay away from people whose words and actions don't match because I don't like to be around people I can't trust. Wisely so, I think, being a self-preservative soul.

    Am I misunderstanding. Or are we just playing? Yeah. Playing.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  8. #28
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    I think people are talking about different flavors or levels of "hypocrisy". Some of those are things people might say "Well, that's not really hypocrisy, because it's only partially intentional", or.. "..it was adopted as only a temporary bridging strategy...", but, according to some def's, it is.

    An interesting assumption to question. I remember seeing a thread called "Why should blackmail be illegal?"
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    In summary: My response to the OP is that hypocrasy is looked down upon because people don't like hearing what it has to say. What someone has done in their own lives does not necessarily invalidate good advice, and people use the word hypocrasy as an easy escape from it.
    I couldn't agree more. What is typically considered hypocrisy is something everyone does, and if you don't think you do then you just found what you're hypocritical about.

    Following from your point, I'm particularly upset when people with high ethical standards are called hypocrites for not living up to them entirely. There's nothing wrong with having a high standard and not quite living up to it...it's called striving. The journey is never finished. You don't need to fully realize a goal to proclaim it a worthy one. Calling a person like this a hypocrite is just a way to drag down those with aspirations and make the name-caller feel better about not aspiring themselves. It's "You think you're better than me??" syndrome, and it disgusts me.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  10. #30
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    But seriously, what's wrong with it?
    Nothing's wrong with it as long as I'm the one doing it.

    Otherwise, it's a disgusting vice and you're all horrible, horrible people for practicing it.

    Burn at the stake!!!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. What's wrong with a little deflation?
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
  2. What is Wrong with Economy
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
  3. [MBTItm] What's wrong with being an xNTJ, anyway?
    By Enyo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO