User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 55

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    We're all hypocrites in a way- nobody wears thier hearts and minds on thier sleeves truly.

    Without hypocrisy, society wouldn't work smoothly.

    hypocrisy, n.
    1: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not ; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion


    I don't do any of this.

    Why wouldn't society work smoothly?

  2. #12
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    You don't need to project your false image onto others to find incentive to improve. Projecting within yourself is enough.
    It wouldn't be enough for me. I DO need to do that, because I'm externally motivated.
    Everyone is a hypocrite sometimes. That doesn't make it OK though.
    Ironically, it sounds like you're agreeing with me implicitly while disagreeing with me explicitly.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    We're all hypocrites in a way- nobody wears thier hearts and minds on thier sleeves truly.

    Without hypocrisy, society wouldn't work smoothly.
    My thoughts exactly.

  3. #13
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Looking at this from a strictly superficial stance. People hate it when somebody have double standards. Goes against their sense of "fair play" and equality I suppose. I've noticed people only call others a hypocrite if their standards for self is more lax than their standards for others. That is, if you're more stringent on yourself than to others, nobody would take any notice. It's only when you tell people they shouldn't do something and you do it yourself that they call you a hypocrite.

    So I guess the outcry of hypocrisy is nothing more than people being "pissy". They think it's unfair to themselves that a person should have "standards" that makes things easier for him because "they" belong in the group of "others" and thus are required to follow stricter standards.

  4. #14
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,697

    Default

    What's wrong with hypocrisy?
    It is too effective.

  5. #15
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Yeah it's not really as bad as many other things.

    I think that the worst part is that on the long run tends to lessen the credibility of your words, because if you reccommend a behavior that you do not hold, your experience on the matter can be considered as not particularly sound.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  6. #16
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    I gave this a bit of thought before answering. To Pretend to believe something, would be lying.. to believe something and come up short, is not lying as far as I'm concerned. We all fall short of our values and morals.. but it doesn't make our values invalid for that. If you tell someone gossiping about someone else is wrong.. Just because you do it time to time doesn't make your statement invalid.

    Of course people get upset when their told or corrected on something.. especially if that person does it themselves.. because people don't like to be corrected and told what to do. There's a natural rebellion to it.. Hypocrisy is a very convenient thing to blame on it. The reality is hypocrisy is an outright lie.. whereas what people 'blame' hypocrisy on is the natural human nature to fall short of the ideals they set for themselves.

    Just as you tell your friend "You should approach him and ask him directly to find out what he REALLY said!" Of course you may not do this yourself on principle.. but your friend ought to take your advice for what it is, and help you the next time you fall short.. instead of, say, throwing it in their face with a "YOU never do it either!".
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #17
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    In short, hypocrisy hurts your ethos. A large part of social interaction is based on the idea that you can be counted on to do certain actions, especially in response to other actions. Because of this, honesty about who you are and what you do is important. If you keep doing something you say you will not, you become unreliable, and your entire value in the social system suffers for it. Credibility is extremely important.

    So, there's another interesting thing that's often incorrectly labeled as hypocrisy, which is when someone says "do as a I say, not as I do". That person is not lying at all. So what's wrong with that? The truth is, sometimes I'd say it's perfectly fair and reasonable. If you say "I did something dumb, now I'm telling you not to make the same mistake" then that's fine. The only time it becomes a problem is when it creates unreciprocal loss to the other person. For instance, "you must do the work, even if I do not" would be a lop-sided bargain. Lop-sided bargains are fundamentally bad things, as reciprocity is perhaps the simplest and earliest ethical rule in nature.

    It is worth noting that hypocrisy does not make anyone a worse arguer. A hypocrite's argument can still be an entirely valid argument. The most annoying thing about peoples' condemnation of hypocrisy is when they use it in an ad hominem manner.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    @Anja: So doctors and nurses are hypocrites by definition?
    I knew an INTJ doctor that couldn't stand people or helping them. That individual only did it for money, but that didn't stop the person from being extremely good at their job.

    Frankly, it's too idealistic to not be hypocritical about something. Ayn Rand doesn't rule the world. You do what's in your best interest. Anything less than that is cheating you. That's the bottom line.

    As Whatever stated, society couldn't function without hypocrisy.

  9. #19
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    It is too effective.
    I don't consider this a flaw. There's no such thing as too effective for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Frankly, it's too idealistic to not be hypocritical about something. Ayn Rand doesn't rule the world. You do what's in your best interest. Anything less than that is cheating you. That's the bottom line.

    As Whatever stated, society couldn't function without hypocrisy.
    I kind of thought that's the way it worked... yeah. You do have to do what's in your best interest, no question about that.

    -----------

    What I'm seeing is that the problem most people have with hypocrisy is that it's a form of lying, and that it makes a person look bad and unreliable.

    Saying that hypocrisy makes a person look morally bankrupt seems to be a circular argument. People think hypocrisy is wrong because... other people look down on hypocrisy? That is a practical reason not to be (or at least not seem to be) a hypocrite, I'll admit... but it doesn't explain why people look down on it in the first place.

  10. #20
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    I think people are most offended when hypocrisy comes from someone who is trying to teach or preach something. The idea is basically, "If you don't practice this stuff then why should I?"
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Similar Threads

  1. What's wrong with a little deflation?
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
  2. What is Wrong with Economy
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
  3. [MBTItm] What's wrong with being an xNTJ, anyway?
    By Enyo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO