User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Arrogance probably best sums it up because it is based on a closed assumption of one's superiority which is not rational. Having a sense of overinflated entitlement, an inability to learn, a lack of empathy and ability to see others as equals with rights is a basic lack of perceptiveness. It seems like arrogance is the core of everything idiotic and cruel.
    But what if said possessor of "arrogance" knows and understands everything you know, and more? You wouldn't know it, so your accusation of arrogance could be inaccurate. I say so because I've occasionally been accused of such, and with similar statements. This relates to what I despise most, imperceptiveness, because if someone who accused me of arrogance knew what I knew, and saw what I saw, they wouldn't make the accusation. They don't, though. C'est la vie.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post

Just from my observations- I also think that arrogance stems from insecurity. For instance, take truly intelligent, brainiac people as an example- they're too busy to walk around and boast about themselves. They're too preoccupied in their own worlds that they really don't have the time to walk around and put others down in order to place themselves on pedestals. In fact, they tend to be oblivious and drowned in their own thinking and imagination, and take interest in others' ideas when it strikes a chord to their own reoccurring thoughts. They tend to be happy/humble. Last thing they would do is to condescend in order to make themselves feel better about who they are. Why should they, when they don't feel a need to compensate. They're too busy just being who they truly *are*. That's what I notice.
    LOL.
    This sounds like completely wishful thinking or a defensive strike against people who make you feel inferior.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

MBTI
    INTP

Bullying

Abuse of authority

intolerance (literal sense of the word, I actually have very little beef with someone who is "judgemental" but tolerant of others whose beliefs or actions they judge).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    [In reference to being unagreeable] if you minus our the Abuses, I'd consider all of the other ones to be positive points of a personality.
    Well if you're trying to see who can make the most money or be the best politician and things such as that, unagreeableness can be quite a good thing. If you need someone who has to catch cheaters and rule breakers, it's not good to have someone who is agreeable because they'll be too trusting and won't want to argue with them when it's time to. One day I'm gonna cover each Big Five trait in as much depth as possible. Maybe even starting today.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Well if you're trying to see who can make the most money or be the best politician and things such as that, unagreeableness can be quite a good thing. If you need someone who has to catch cheaters and rule breakers, it's not good to have someone who is agreeable because they'll be too trusting and won't want to argue with them when it's time to. One day I'm gonna cover each Big Five trait in as much depth as possible. Maybe even starting today.
    So what, is Disagreeableness a 'he who fights monsters' deal?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP

For me, plain stupidity / willing ignorance.

I don't get bothered so much by arrogance--it only really hurts the person who is being arrogant I think, but stupidity/ignorance hurt everyone.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Dishonesty/phoniness.

Bitterness and cruelty.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think arrogance is the one that really annoys the hell out of me. The symptoms of arrogance are generally pretty bad in themselves, but it's also such a blind thing. The more arrogant a person is, the less they're aware of it, it seems. And it goes both ways, of course. With all my other faults, I can usually spot them with a bit of effort, but when I'm arrogant in regards to certain stuff, it usually takes some sort of painful demonstration for me to realize it.

When it reaches the point of narcissism in a person, though, that's one of the few things which will make me permanently dislike a person. I forgive and forget pretty easily, but not with that.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    But what if said possessor of "arrogance" knows and understands everything you know, and more? You wouldn't know it, so your accusation of arrogance could be inaccurate. I say so because I've occasionally been accused of such, and with similar statements. This relates to what I despise most, imperceptiveness, because if someone who accused me of arrogance knew what I knew, and saw what I saw, they wouldn't make the accusation. They don't, though. C'est la vie.
    We are discussing different wavelengths here. It doesn't take much perception to see a tremendous range in human skill and thought. A person's mentors typically know everything the student knows and more in the given subject area, and a willing mind understands that dynamic. That is how respect is established. I am not talking about ignoring that or being untruthful about that in any way. It is also arrogant to be unwilling to recognize superior skill in another person. Using a skill as an excuse to look down on others is a kind of constructed prejudice and a way of defining self that is wholly reliant on other people's lack of that same skill.

Let's take Richard Wagner who was both arrogant and brilliant. For him to evaluate his skill as superior to most is accurate and not arrogant. For him to write his love Cosima and tell her that it is ridiculous for her to try to compose because he is the composer, is an example of arrogance. This second assumption is one rooted in ignorance and gender prejudice. The world is a little less for not having more of an artistic contribution from Cosima, who was also Franz Lizst's daughter.

There might be better examples, but the arrogance I am attempting to describe is not evaluation of skill, but an assumption of intrinsic superiority.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Dishonesty. If I can't trust someone, they're worthless to me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."