User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Here's To Chess

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Here's To Chess

Hereís to Chess. To be skilled in the game of Chess is to be skilled in the game of life. Chess teaches to, first and foremost, know where I stand and where my steps will lead me to stand. It teaches to recognize where I am weak and to recognize where I am strong, it teaches to know where to present my shield and where to point my sword, it teaches when to use my sword as a shield and when to use my shield as a weapon, it teaches me that to present a strength is to present a weakness, it teaches me to take this knowledge and to know precisely when to strike. It teaches that for every move I make a move will be made in response, it teaches that to gain I must sacrifice. It teaches that to masterfully act is as important as to masterfully plan. It teaches that not to win is not to lose and that the loss of an opponent is not my own victory because, as it also teaches, I am my only real opponent. And in the end, it teaches that itís all just a game, the board does not keep tally of wins and losses, it is but a medium.
    So hereís to chess. Play on.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENTP

i see... i never even thought of those things after all these years of playing chess.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Hereís to Chess. To be skilled in the game of Chess is to be skilled in the game of life. Chess teaches to, first and foremost, know where you stand. It teaches to recognize where you are weak and to recognize where you are strong, it teaches to know where to present your shield and where to present your sword, it teaches when to use your sword as a shield and when to use your shield as a weapon, it teaches us that to present a strength is to present a weakness, it teaches us to take this knowledge and to know precisely when to strike. It teaches that for every move you make a move will be made in response, it teaches that to gain you must sacrifice. It teaches that to masterfully act is as important as to masterfully plan. It teaches that not to win is not to lose and that the loss of an opponent is not your own victory. And in the end, it teaches that itís all just a game, the board does not keep tally of wins and losses, it is but a medium.
    So hereís to chess.
    Hi Brendan, I have a wierd approach to chess. I am really, really, really good, but I approach it different than most. I actually play like a computer when things come down to it. I start calculating as many probabilities as possible, during my turn and during my opponents turn. I think that this is directly related to my Ne and my Ti. Do you understand what I mean by saying that I think like a computer when it comes to this game; and how does this fit in with your theory?

I am just curious and I appologize for side tracking the thread right from the start.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Hi Brendan, I have a wierd approach to chess. I am really, really, really good, but I approach it different than most. I actually play like a computer when things come down to it. I start calculating as many probabilities as possible, during my turn and during my opponents turn. I think that this is directly related to my Ne and my Ti. Do you understand what I mean by saying that I think like a computer when it comes to this game; and how does this fit in with your theory?

I am just curious and I appologize for side tracking the thread right from the start.
    No, no! That's precisely what I'm talking about!

Know where you stand, and know where the moves you make will likely put you.

Well, I could do this>
    Which would allow him to do this>
    Or I could do this>
    Which would force him to do this>
    But would later force me to do this>
    Solution: Present him with the choice between two poisons>

Move made...

Waiting...

Ah-HAH!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    No, no! That's precisely what I'm talking about!

Know where you stand, and know where the moves you make will likely put you.

Well, I could do this>
    Which would allow him to do this>
    Or I could do this>
    Which would force him to do this>
    But would later force me to do this>
    Solution: Present him with the choice between two poisons>

Move made...

Waiting...

Ah-HAH!
    Nicely put Brendan, this is an amazingly fresh perspective on the whole thing, keep up the good work.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

That's also what I do. I used to play a lot in elementary through mid-high school, but I haven't played since then.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Good at chess, bad at life. I'm not bad at chess.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The problem with chess is that it's predictable and people don't like to talk while playing. I prefer games with more than two players like most card games.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The problem with chess is that it's predictable
    How so?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

There is no random element, there are only two players, and you can see all of the game pieces. It has all of the elements of a predictable game.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com