User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 58

  1. #1
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Expecting Readers

    This thread's question is only for those people who come here to this site, at least partially, to socialize with others, who may be more likely to be on their "wavelength" due to type considerations, or for any other reason that leads to their interest in socializing.

    Your "socializing" can take the form of exploring ideas together, or debating controversy, or finding interests in common with others, but..... it should still be motivated by at least some interest, however minimal, in actually getting to know others better, if not possibly becoming their acquaintance, friend, or even something more eventually.

    If this doesn't fit you...you may as well leave the thread, because the question isn't addressed to you.

    Now....of those of you who are still remaining, how many of you mostly just post in blogs ?

    If this is you, do you think that the people, who you have ( so far ) decided it might be interesting to meet here....read those blogs, and, if they do, will post in those blogs ?

    I'm just curious. The reason I ask is that I'm sure there must be some interesting people here who just don't interact much on the open threads, because they're afraid of intruding on interactions already going there, or for whatever reason.

    I've noticed a lot of members who I would like to know better but who never seem to want to talk about anything besides MBTI, or questions about psychology as it relates to self-knowledge, and especially towards relationships or ongoing drama in their lives and or their existing friend's lives. So we have not had much or even any dialogue yet.

    I have limited amounts of time to spend on the forum, and I generally don't start reading a blog until I have already become interested in somebody as a result of their behavior/posts elsewhere. Then I make the effort to do so. Not the other way around, where I discover them in their blog and so then look for their few comments elsewhere, hidden away amongst the hundreds of threads.

    Of course, you may have little to no interest in ever getting to know me better, but there are obviously others here who you would like to meet, and some or all of them may think like I do. Something to think about, anyway.

    I was quite surprised by how many people here have no curiosity about who might be calling them on the phone, and no interest in talking even if they did know. I was hoping when I came here that this forum wasn't going to be so introvert-centric. Take that last sentence of mine with a grain of salt. What do I mean by that ? Lots of times I think I'm an introvert too, but I still enjoy meeting and communicating with people. It's just that they wear me out after a period of time. So I retreat to my "own world" for a while and then.... I'm back on the trail again. I don't equate being an introvert necessarily with being shy/wallflowery. Some of you hold back more out of a mis-prioritized inclination to perfection than you do of shyness or fear. That may be fine for others who would look down their noses at you for not being "perfect" when you are introducing yourself/describing your world to them etc. but don't assume that I am overly much like that.

    Edit - So why bother reading a thread like "Expecting Readers" either ? one might ask. Because a single thread doesn't demand as much of one's time as an entire blog, and because the title gives you some idea of what may be in it. Of course I can read a partial blog, and then come back to read more, but it is confusing to do that, as it is hard to find that spot you left off at before, after a little time passes, and meanwhile it is being added to. When I decide to read a blog, I make an effort to read the entire thing in one gulp.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Now....of those of you who are still remaining, how many of you mostly just post in blogs ?

    If this is you, do you think that the people, who you have ( so far ) decided it might be interesting to meet here....read those blogs, and, if they do, will post in those blogs ?

    I'm just curious. The reason I ask is that I'm sure there must be some interesting people here who just don't interact much on the open threads, because they're afraid of intruding on interactions already going there, or for whatever reason.
    I don't have a blog and I randomly read other people's blogs. I find the blogs more interesting than most of the threads on the forum to be honest. I barge in and post on people's blogs too. They probably wonder who I am since I'm new and I often haven't interacted with them on the open forum.

    Socializing in the threads is a little uncomfortable for me as an introvert, I'm more comfortable one on one. I often send a rep comments or a PM if I see an interesting post in the forum by someone, sometimes that opens up a channel of communication with them.

  3. #3
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    I'm confused, I think. Are you asking, "Why do some people mostly post in their blogs and not in the general threads?"
    Something Witty

  4. #4
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    I don't have a blog and I randomly read other people's blogs. I find the blogs more interesting than most of the threads on the forum to be honest. I barge in and post on people's blogs too. They probably wonder who I am since I'm new and I often haven't interacted with them on the open forum.

    Socializing in the threads is a little uncomfortable for me as an introvert, I'm more comfortable one on one. I often send a rep comments or a PM if I see an interesting post in the forum by someone, sometimes that opens up a channel of communication with them.
    I see what you mean about "one on one" being more comfortable. I am like that, too, but possibly for different reasons. I have noticed that people behave very differently in groups than they do "one one one" and not just for the obvious reasons that there are more people to talk to in a group etc. They will often be more likely to admit or confide things to you in this kind of setting. Now someone like Blue Monday or IF whatever can come along and say "not me" but I think a significant number of people are like this.

    So I would probably do things your way if it wasn't so time consuming for me to dig out the "gems" amongst the material that isn't relevant to me. Once you find such gems they can be really unique realizations, or new ways of looking at things etc. and so I do value them. I just wish I had time to get to them all. I've found that, generally, the blogs that bear fruit quickest are typically the ones that belong to members that I have already determined to be "interesting" based on their posting style on the "group" discussions. Even the "group discussions", if one takes their time responding, boil down to responding to individual persons' opinions on what one has said to them. Would the ones I picked out be considered "most interesting" in an objective sense ? Probably not. It is just how they seem relevant to me.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  5. #5
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I see what you mean about "one on one" being more comfortable. I am like that, too, but possibly for different reasons. I have noticed that people behave very differently in groups than they do "one one one" and not just for the obvious reasons that there are more people to talk to in a group etc. They will often be more likely to admit or confide things to you in this kind of setting. Now someone like Blue Monday or IF whatever can come along and say "not me" but I think a significant number of people are like this.
    ?

    What am I like?
    I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #6
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    sometimes you get a completely different perspective on people by reading thier blogs than you get by thier regular forum posts, sometimes they are the same. A lot of people seem to keep thier ongoing life dramas in thier blogs and then post like nothing's happening on the open forum as well (I know I do that most of the time, thinking that only those who read my blog might find my personal life to be of interest). Sometimes it's the best perspective on who a person is, from my observations.

    On the other hand, in my invisible status, I often will read people's blogs and only post if it's relevant or if I don't think that the person will mind if I make a pointless post. I'm more interested in you than you know

    All in all though, it's generally a more genuine perspective of what the person is like, by what I've seen.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #7
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ?

    What am I like?
    I'm curious.
    You often strike as a contrarian. If someone posts "people in Indiana are called Hoosiers" you might say "I'm in Indiana and no one has ever called me a Hoosier. Maybe people used to do that. * shrug * " to give you an exaggerated or oversimplified example of what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    sometimes you get a completely different perspective on people by reading thier blogs than you get by thier regular forum posts, sometimes they are the same. A lot of people seem to keep thier ongoing life dramas in thier blogs and then post like nothing's happening on the open forum as well (I know I do that most of the time, thinking that only those who read my blog might find my personal life to be of interest). Sometimes it's the best perspective on who a person is, from my observations.
    For sure. You seem to have a good mix yourself. You post in your blog, but you also bump shoulders in the interactive area. It was your posts that I read in the interactive area which made me inclined to consider looking at your blog, otherwise I would have maybe never known much about you, or even cared to know, as great as doing that may come to be. I met some great members at INTPc who said very little outside of their blogs. I was lucky to get to know them, to tell the truth. In the case of one person, they approached me, or it would have never happened. We are now friends IRL. It was only after i got to know them well that I made efforts to read the blogs. In the case of one person, she still teases me for not reading it even to this day, because I eventually got most of it verbally ( phone ) anyway. Hyuk Hyuk. ( Now don't read that as meaning I insist on the telephone, folks. )


    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm confused, I think. Are you asking, "Why do some people mostly post in their blogs and not in the general threads?"
    No. I'm not saying that. Hopefully my answers to the other questions help to clarify my OP. ( I didn't see your post when it came originally. Sorry. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  8. #8
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    You often strike as a contrarian. If someone posts "people in Indiana are called Hoosiers" you might say "I'm in Indiana and no one has ever called me a Hoosier. Maybe people used to do that. * shrug * " to give you an exaggerated or oversimplified example of what I mean.
    No I don't.

    I'd be more likely to say, there's a hole in your logic.

    Really, it just so happens that I frequently have a different point of view and I'm not afraid to share it. I don't disagree just for the sake of it.

    Sometimes I play devil's advocate too. A whole thread full of agreement is a sorry thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Really, it just so happens that I frequently have a different point of view and I'm not afraid to share it. I don't disagree just for the sake of it.

    Sometimes I play devil's advocate too. A whole thread full of agreement is a sorry thing
    Bolding mine/"fixed". Agree to the bolded parts.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  10. #10
    Broud Balestinian G-Virus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    2
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    No I don't.

    I'd be more likely to say, there's a hole in your logic.

    Really, it just so happens that I frequently have a different point of view and I'm not afraid to share it. I don't disagree just for the sake of it.

    Sometimes I play devil's advocate too. A whole thread full of agreement is a sorry thing.

    I disagree for the sake of disagreement. I have a contract with the devil to be his advocate for the next five years.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

    "If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] NF(P): too-much expectations, yet little work?
    By niki in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 02:12 AM
  2. Fallen Short of Expectations
    By Mempy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO