User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

This could also get into the question of WHY people start blogs, but that would be a question for another thread/poll though I'm guessing, as to avoid derailing discussion here.

Everyone has different motivations though- some people like to interact in thiers (mine is a good deal of chatter) and some people just seem to like to get thier thoughts out in a written form.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I've been thinking about this. In common with other INTPs I perhaps seem more controversial than I am because I generally only comment if I have something to add which hasn't already been covered.
    Doing that alone wouldn't necessarily lead to me seeing you as a contrarian.
    I find it irritating to open a subscribed thread only to find a "^ LOL" or "QFT". That sort of thing should be reserved for reps, IMO. So I don't do that...much. I don't feel the need to connect with people by expressing agreement.
    I see what you're saying. I would rate a simple "LOL" or "QFT" as amongst the simpler methods of expressing agreement. I think that it is worthwhile expressing agreement,as I want to encourage members whose posts that I enjoyed to post more often, or to not be shy etc. Also I enjoy it when I know that people got something from my posts, and so I assume others might feel the same.

Instead of going with the simplest methods of expressing agreement, I might go with a different approach, if I had the time. Otherwise a simple one like "+1" vs. "LOL". A more sophisticated form of agrreement might be described as "yes, and...", which is a principle used in the world of Improv, also.

Let me give an example in an easy-to-understand form: Say someone posts the following - in a food thread. "I like Italian food, and I think everyone else should try it too, LOL, because it's wonderful." One could divide this post up into three segments.
    ( A. ) I like Italian food
    and
    ( B. ) I think everyone else should try it, too
    and
    ( C. ) because it's wonderful.

I might focus my "Yes, and..." approach on the part of the post that seemed most worthwhile to me. In this case, that would be...* drumroll * Part A. And so I might say "I enjoy Italian, too." ( That would be the "Yes" part. ) But the "and...." would extend my response, and so I might say something or ask a question like "Do you mean Southern or Northern Italian ?"

Now, a contrarian might decide that the part of the post to address would be either part B. or part C. They could say "Why should everyone else consider doing something just because you like it?" or they could remark that part C. is just a value judgement ( anecdotal etc. ) In doing either, they would be choosing to point out errors they see, versus taking the conversation elsewhere. ( I realize that IRL you probably wouldn't even choose to answer this post,but it serves as an easy to understand example. )

I noticed the other day that Jack Flak had responded to something I said, and in doing so misspelled the word "rapport". Since he sometimes chides people about spelling errors, it would have been easy for me to point that out in my response, and have a "clever Kuranes" moment, but I thought doing so would distract from a different exchange that I deemed more worthwhile.

So...it really comes down to what you like to emphasize. I disagree with members often enough, but I'm sparing in my use of pepper. I agreed with you about "a thread that is all agreement" is boring. But I also emphasized that I think you choose the "disagree with" mode quite frequently. I'm merely pointing that out.

You are more playful in your contrarian approach than IF is, IMHO. Just a feeling I get. ( Don't bother asking me to cite examples of the difference, please. )

* Kuranes starts to take the bait of feeling obliged to list female members of the board who have strong personalities but who nevertheless get along well with him. Then stops, realizing BM is just trying to "push his buttons". *

Do I see Nocapszy, Victor, Uber and Jack Flak as being contrarians ? Good question.

Of the four, I would say JF comes closest. In his earlier incarnations, he was much more like that. But, as an overall percentage of his total output ( which is humongous ) I would say that he is a pure contrarian less than you are as a percentage of your output. However he may post more contrarian in toto ( Wicked Witch of the West ) simply because he has more posts to work with. He has more of a need to have the last word in an exchange that is in disagreement than you do, though, I think, which is an interesting distinction.

Victor is in his own world, and so I remove him from consideration. Amusingly enough, you and me and IF seemed to find in him something we agreed on.

I haven't read enough posts by Nocapszy to get a feel for his contrarian stance. He does take issue with people sometimes about points of order such as "begging the question' and "strawman" and so forth.

I see Uber as someone who wants to create chaos in order to attract attention. He sometimes attempts to achieve this by challenging something obvious that we all assume to be unquestioned, such as "why do people even like dancing?" as a disruptive comment in a thread on dancing. Notice he is not saying "I don't care for dancing, and I don't see an attraction". In other words, he can't see a distinction between preferring to dance versus a group dissecting dolphins on a big table, for example. Just two absurd activities that people outside of his little room engage in. And yet he can review a James Bond film without making any of this "disconnecft with the world" feeling manifesting itself. Yeah, right. I'm not buying it.

Ken Kesey and his friends had a machine that would record random phrases in their conversations and spit them back out through a speaker on a delay system, so that they might hear the phrase a couple weeks later. Sometimes it meant nothing when it would reappear. other times it was oddly apropos, and they jokingly took to calling it "cosmo" ( as in "cosmic" versus the women's magazine ) in reference.

At first I thought Uber's comments could be looked at this way. Or maybe like the utterances of "the holy fool", or like the title character of a certain Dostoevsky book. Perhaps the butterfly who lands on the nose of the dignified statue in the park. No more. I tend to think of him now as someone who goes beyond the contrarian, and simply seeks to troll in a clever way. I have changed my opinion about him, IOW, having had the chance to observe him more on this site versus INTPc.

I see you, BlueMonday as being so much more valuable to this board than Uber that I considered it ( before you invited the comparison ) as being not even worth mentioning. Obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I interpreted the OP as a search for a lady friend.
    Since I am a single hetero man, I'm certainly open to this, but it was directed at friends of both sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post

Returning the hug. And keeping it public. Not gonna get that one "hidden away" anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    This could also get into the question of WHY people start blogs, but that would be a question for another thread/poll though I'm guessing, as to avoid derailing discussion here.
    Feel free to bring it up in here.
    Everyone has different motivations though- some people like to interact in thiers (mine is a good deal of chatter) and some people just seem to like to get thier thoughts out in a written form.
    I''ve noticed that some people make the blog itself the center of their interaction. I guess I've taken the opposite approach and spread mine out all over the place as threads, knowing how people are preferring shorter and shorter sections of text every year it seems. Delilah does well with hers that way, though.
    * shrug *

In summation ( heh ) it has surprised me how well this thread has done. When I first composed it, I believed it was worthwhile...and yet....and yet I had a sneaking suspicion that few if any would actually go so far as to respond to it. It continues to surprise me how much or how little some of my threads draw.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd be interested in socializing, but I'm terribly bad at it.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INXP

oh, kuranes.

*fears your phone bill*
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    intp

*Watches a shitload of backtracking and hem-n-hawing as poster tries to extricate himself from his mess.*

Sure. Make statements and then request not to be asked to substantiate them. Old as the hills.
    No I don't.

I'd be more likely to say, there's a hole in your logic.
    Why, yes dear. And the hole looks like this:

AW: If you live in Colorado, then you must ski
    AC: I don't think so. I lived in Colorado and I never once ski'd
    AW: but you're not a true Coloradan unless you ski
    AC: Skiing is beside the point. Sure it's pretty common. Many people ski there. But I lived there, voted, paid the taxes and all. I was Coloradan.
    AW: But how do you avoid snow sports (note the different wording)? You can't avoid snow? No tobogganing?
    AC: yes, but I didn't ski, so you don't need to ski
    AW: You're just eing where do you draw the line? isn't tobogganing skiing? [writes a post long enough to make the baby jesus cry]
    AC: *yawn* later dude.
    *AW= Annoying Windbag; AC = Alleged Contrarian

The misaffected AW will then, like the AW he is, go around at every opportunity talking about the ACs and mischaracterizing the discussion to bore everyone who can't be bothered to go read the old windbaggery. he's not satisfied with being ignored and yearns for interaction with the boree.

It baffles me that it should at all surprise you that people don't respond to your posts. They are 10 times longer than they need to be, with pointless asides and elaborations that only obscure whatever point you have.

I am not sure that we share anything - opinions on Victor included. You seem incapable of understanding a perspective other than your own - or acknowledging the validity of one - and are particularly poor at understanding mine. I loathe being lumped in with or characterized (invariably falsely) by people who consistently show this disability, and seriously doubt we share any view. It's like when someone I find distasteful decides to talk to me. *shudder*
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Actually, I assumed that the thread was asking if we expect readers to our blog, and why those who read them do so... but then again, I'm just a silly girl and could be wrong
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    *Watches a shitload of backtracking and hem-n-hawing as poster tries to extricate himself from his mess.*
    Such as ?
    Sure. Make statements and then request not to be asked to substantiate them. Old as the hills.
    The point that I didn't give examples on ( that you were less playful than Blue Monday ) was one of those "asides' that you claimed no one would read anyway. Guess you read them, though.
    * pushes her buttons back *
    Anyone reading your shrill and exaggerated response ( comparing me to your person advocating Colorado ) would see that my statement about the lack of playfulness is at least true here.

It baffles me that it should at all surprise you that people don't respond to your posts. They are 10 times longer than they need to be, with pointless asides and elaborations that only obscure whatever point you have.
    I agree with you that my tangents may distract from one point I was making. People with a decent memory can sometimes handle more than one point at a time, or an aside. My surprise was that some posts were more popular than others. This "Expecting Readers" post was one of the longer ones, and so, therefore ( using your own logic, which I somewhat agree with ) it should be less attractive than my shorter posts, some of which are about less complex subjects. But it wasn't.

* kuranes doesn't bother addressing her grand exaggerations about egotism or narrow mindedness, as he sees that she is exemplifying those very things *
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

This could also get into the question of WHY people start blogs
    I personally do mostly for myself. Instead of bothering Others with my Problems or whatever I just write a Blog to deal with it. And I make it open for Every1 to read because some People might have the same Problem. Makes them feel less alone and also they have another Person to talk to about it (me in that Case).
    Guess that is for my Reasons. o.o
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Such as ?
    Your whole post was hem-hawing.

The point that I didn't give examples on ( that you were less playful than Blue Monday ) was one of those "asides' that you claimed no one would read anyway. Guess you read them, though.
    I confess to egotism - I read those parts where you dared to type my name, and ignored the rest.

* pushes her buttons back *
    Sorry, you'll have to try harder if you think that does anything. Are you a blind man with only thumbs for fingers?

Anyone reading your shrill and exaggerated response ( comparing me to your person advocating Colorado ) would see that my statement about the lack of playfulness is at least true here.
    I just read it - and saw that I was having fun with your silly mischaracterization that had all the hyperbole of comparing an anthill to the Alps. Now, your pomposity may not allow you to partake in my fun, but I am enjoying myself.

* kuranes doesn't bother addressing her grand exaggerations about egotism or narrow mindedness, as he sees that she is exemplifying those very things *
    Ah, If it's narrow-minded to not want to read consistent windbaggery, then I am as narrow as they come. And you miss the point of the exaggeration: it is to show you how silly and petty you came across by holding a mirrow up to what you have done. You must have flown by that on your way to type word after word. Unlike you, I am hardly wont to bring up and misrepresent people I disagree with on a topic on a post that is completely unrelated and does not warrant calling their names. As a matter of fact, I do not recall having anything else to do with you - until now.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    XNXP

Actually, I assumed that the thread was asking if we expect readers to our blog, and why those who read them do so... but then again, I'm just a silly girl and could be wrong
    It is about that, but Colmena raised a point about whether I might be hoping to meet some women who would then write outside of their blog. I thought it was a relevant point, even though it was not my focus in the thread. So I answered it by saying "sure I'm open to that."