User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The INTJs would be left alone and totally responsible for academic/technological/scientific innovation.... but, being that they're INTJs, they can't come up with any original ideas.
    I think you've got it backwards. INTJ's are much more likely to come up with breakthrough/original concepts. However INTP's are better at taking a raw idea, developing it thoroughly, and fitting it into a complete logical framework. In doing so their ideas tend to be easier to comprehend and make more sense than what the INTJ's come up with.

Therefore in the sciences alone we'd be set back hundreds of years without INTP's. The ENT's rely on INTP theories to apply science to the world around us. I sometimes wonder if INTJ's can even make sense to each other. Actually without INTP's to think the ideas through carefully society probably wouldn't have much confidence in science since it wouldn't be nearly as reliable as it is today.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Well at least there'd be no more people like bluemonday and Jack Flack. That's always a positive in my books. But then again we'd have to settle for INTJ smart-assery, which is much more certain and assured. It would get annoying rather quickly.

There wouldn't be as many philosophical ramblings, or especially technical and intricate, elaboration prone literature to read. Online forums would largely collapse, or become so fluffy and affirmative that little discussion would be had. We need a certain amount of conflict and critical thinking, it does you good, even though you might not always appreciate or recognize it. Sometimes it really is necessary to mindlessly nitpick, test, expound on the fundamentals just to prove a point or figure out if a point is valid. Interpretation and comprehension is a key asset that can and should be applied to all that we do. Who better than the nerds who actually enjoy such boring and trivial things.
    awww...that wouldn't be any fun!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Have all the INTPs gone off to establish a utopian moon colony? I am in favor of this.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think you've got it backwards. INTJ's are much more likely to come up with breakthrough/original concepts.
    Yeah I don't know about that... what specifically about INTJs would make them better able to come up with breakthrough/original ideas?

I can however see the INTJs taking the original spark of an idea, created by the INTP, and refining it and carrying it through and making it more applicable to the real world.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I sometimes wonder if INTJ's can even make sense to each other.
    I don't even make sense to myself at times.

I would think an INTP would make sense to himself and no one else, because his logic is turned into the self.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    II would think an INTP would make sense to himself and no one else, because his logic is turned into the self.
    I have a past and future coworker with whom I generally converse every work day through email. Last Thursday, the work load was a bit low, giving me enough time, apparently, to take off on a mental tangent.

After one particularly whimsical email, my friend came back with "I like to think I can usually keep up with you, but what the hell are you talking about? Explain it to me like I'm a little kid."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah I don't know about that... what specifically about INTJs would make them better able to come up with breakthrough/original ideas?

I can however see the INTJs taking the original spark of an idea, created by the INTP, and refining it and carrying it through and making it more applicable to the real world.
    Speaking in theoreticals, original ideas come from intuition. Extraversion is associated with breadth and Introversion with depth. Therefore the most truly original ideas are going to come from introverted intuition which is really the hallmark of the INTJ. INTP ideas originate from Ne which is extraverted and only their auxiliary function. This only speaks to preference rather than ability, but an INTP is going to greatly prefer using Ti which is extremely useful in developing a raw idea into a complete coherent framework. INTJ's are going to prefer Ni which is extremely useful in coming up with completely novel ideas.

Speaking in particulars, the three greatest mathematicians are considered to be Newton, Archimedes, and Gauss. I'm not sure of Gauss's type, but the other two are INTJ. I've read both their writings, and they use Te rather than Ti in their reasoning. With Archimedes his passion was really Engineering rather than Mathematics, but he was the first to develop a method for calculating the area under any given curve. The language he uses is Engineering language (Te). Later INTP's uncovered his writings and were able to generalize the ideas beyond Engineering. Likewise Newton's writings on Calculus read more like a Physicist than a pure Mathematician (because of Te), and they are harder to make sense of, and his notation was crap. However, Liebniz the INTP got the idea of Calculus from talking with Newton, developed the idea in a more general form, and his notation is still used today.

Generally from what I've seen from INTP's and INTJ's that is how they work. The real originality comes from the INTJ, but the INTP is able to generalize the raw idea, develop it, and fit it into a more logical framework so that it is more accessible to anyone else. Both fill useful roles within science.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

All you have to do is imagine a world without the Scientific Revolution

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    They're too busy reading user manuals, programming the computer, downloading music for their iPods, updating websites and fiddling with digital images.
    Really? Hardly anything of that I ever do...
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by norepinephrine View Post
    I have a past and future coworker with whom I generally converse every work day through email. Last Thursday, the work load was a bit low, giving me enough time, apparently, to take off on a mental tangent.

After one particularly whimsical email, my friend came back with "I like to think I can usually keep up with you, but what the hell are you talking about? Explain it to me like I'm a little kid."
    You can talk to people in the future? I want your mental tangents!

No-one has really answered the OP question about whether the world would be a better place without INTPs.

What is the net contribution? Force for good or force for evil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.