User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Songs that have meaning to you.

Most of us pick up songs along our lives that we relate with specific times/events. And other songs may simply make a perfect connection with our personality, becoming instant favourites, to be listened to again and again.

It is these songs I want you to post now. Explain to me, over all, why these songs have meaning for you.

Lilium YouTube - Lilium - Full version
    Lilium is an exceptionally sad song, and yet I find it uplifting as well. It is a typical example of how I find sorrow to be beautifull. And it is one of the few songs that can make me sad emotionally.

The Second Waltz - Dimitri Shostakovich YouTube - mill3d_2003 - Dimitri Shostakovich - The Second Waltz
    By far my favourite piece of classical music, this song gives me a sense of universallity, of being part of and moving with everything else in the world. My discovery of this youtube video only increased that feeling, to the point watching it gives me a tremendous feeling of...can't really describe it =p.

Animal I Have Become - Three Days Grace YouTube - Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become
    The reason this song has meaning for me is very much linked to MBTI. I often listen to it after I have become too extroverted and selfish. It is basically my Ti recognising my Fe and putting it back in its cage. To me the song is a reminder that I cannot trust my emotions as they can hurt everyone around me.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    blah

The Second Waltz - Dimitri Shostakovich YouTube - mill3d_2003 - Dimitri Shostakovich - The Second Waltz
    By far my favourite piece of classical music, this song gives me a sense of universallity, of being part of and moving with everything else in the world. My discovery of this youtube video only increased that feeling, to the point watching it gives me a tremendous feeling of...can't really describe it =p.

blah
    OH MY GOSH!!! I'm obsessed with Shostie. Really really obsessed. But it baffles me that everyone and their mom brings up this piece. I really had no idea it was so famous... Anyway, the piece that resonates the most with me is his first violin concerto, particularly the 3rd movement. I liken it to a lost soul wandering alone in the desert bravely and defiantly... or something like that. The 2nd and 4th movements are aggressive and neurotic, like a demonic dance. I relate to that too :blushing:.

EDIT: Oh! But to really answer your question, his 8th string quartet holds the most meaning to me. While most of Shostakovich's music does this to a certain extent, there's just so much raw pain, sadness, despair, and suffering in that particular piece. It's done 2 things for me: 1) It puts my problems in perspective, and 2) It reminds me that everyone suffers; that suffering is a part of the human condition and not a matter of justice (the idea that "good" people aren't supposed to suffer). In this way, Shostakovich has helped me a lot.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    OH MY GOSH!!! I'm obsessed with Shostie. Really really obsessed. But it baffles me that everyone and their mom brings up this piece. I really had no idea it was so famous... Anyway, the piece that resonates the most with me is his first violin concerto, particularly the 3rd movement. I liken it to a lost soul wandering alone in the desert bravely and defiantly... or something like that. The 2nd and 4th movements are aggressive and neurotic, like a demonic dance. I relate to that too :blushing:.

EDIT: Oh! But to really answer your question, his 8th string quartet holds the most meaning to me. While most of Shostakovich's music does this to a certain extent, there's just so much raw pain, sadness, despair, and suffering in that particular piece. It's done 2 things for me: 1) It puts my problems in perspective, and 2) It reminds me that everyone suffers; that suffering is a part of the human condition and not a matter of justice (the idea that "good" people aren't supposed to suffer). In this way, Shostakovich has helped me a lot.
    ^___^ Awesome!

I shall listen to those pieces some time!
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    XNXP

Oh, gosh, music is real important in my life, and so there are so many.

Here is a thread I began and then lost track of, on the subject. I need to listen to Pure Mercury's "Verve Pipe" song and comment on that, I see now.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...nal-songs.html

Here is a great rock song that is kinda long - guess that will turn off a lot of the young people. At this time, when the song was issued, a lot of us ( who were young ourselves at the time ) were open to longer material, because we had been through so many years of songs being restricted to short length by the "radio rules". Later on, such convention-defying longer songs ( especially those with guitar solos, or, worse yet, drum solos ) were considered "over indulgent" by pundits measuring by their own unexplained rules. The punks came along eventually and insisted songs be more about immediate sensation, and dance clubs made a resurgence ( both there and in the originally much-hated "disco" ) and so a lot of people allowed these changes to influence song length again.
    "Echoes" by Pink Floyd - Part One - YouTube - Pink Floyd - Echoes (part 1)
    "Echoes" - Part Two - YouTube - Pink Floyd - Echoes (part 2)
    Echoes - Part Three - YouTube - Pink Floyd - Echoes (part 3)
    Echoes - Part Four -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjXgRo2WGs&feature=related

Edit - for some reason part four will not seem to allow itself to be posted here, but you can see it on Youtube and watch it there, I guess. %$#@!!

These segments were all originally one flowing individual piece of film documentation. I like the guitar parts in Part two best.

The first time I heard this song I had a friend over to my house who had turned me on to some psychedelics. I had experienced them before 9 even more intensely ) but this was a nice friendly trip rather than a "mind blowing' "pushing the envelope" kind of thing. We went out later and went to Kent State University ( a few years after the "riots" there ) and met some interesting grad students. Later we went to the library and looked at some coffee table art books. I remember I was fascinated by Dali at the time, and got some ideas from a book he'd written about his life. After that we went to our "employee party" at the Sea World amusement park that we worked at, and parted ways. A girl who I hung out with at the cafeteria on breaks made her interest in me more clearly known there amongst the rock music, and I had a good time.

I had a thread over at INTPc that asked people to behave ( role play ) in it as though they had accidentally happened upon Manson's "family" and decided to hang out there for a while, innocently, not knowing ( at that time ) what Charlie and Co. would get up to later. I posted the "Echoes" song for that, too, when I had walked out into the desert in my imaginative story. I could never get people to participate in it much, though. We briefly had a vogue for threads containing imaginary worlds there at INTPc, but then everybody seemed to go through a change where they wanted to keep things more "serious"
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFP
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Most of us pick up songs along our lives that we relate with specific times/events. And other songs may simply make a perfect connection with our personality, becoming instant favourites, to be listened to again and again.

It is these songs I want you to post now. Explain to me, over all, why these songs have meaning for you.

Lilium YouTube - Lilium - Full version
    Lilium is an exceptionally sad song, and yet I find it uplifting as well. It is a typical example of how I find sorrow to be beautifull. And it is one of the few songs that can make me sad emotionally.

Animal I Have Become - Three Days Grace YouTube - Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become
    The reason this song has meaning for me is very much linked to MBTI. I often listen to it after I have become too extroverted and selfish. It is basically my Ti recognising my Fe and putting it back in its cage. To me the song is a reminder that I cannot trust my emotions as they can hurt everyone around me.
    I enjoyed the Second Waltz.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Songs that have meaning to me? Hundreds probably. Here's some with a little extra meaning meaning to me though. :P

Sinead O'Conner - "Troy" and "Before the War"
    Moby - "I like it"
    Portishead - "Wandering Stars"

MBTI
    INTP

The most recent song that had meaning to me was called "If I should die tonight" "by" Puff Daddy. I had been thinking a lot about death after I had a bad trip with drugs, and in the song he ruminates about his own death. Otherwise, I haven't resonated with a song since I can remember.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The most meaningful song in the world to me is The Doors' 'When the Music's Over'

It's virtues, it's depth, it's meaning, it brings tears to my melancholic eyes. It brings upon an almost depressive frenzy of transcending emotions. Depression, fear, bliss, anger, love, it milks my emotions until I am left blank at the end of the song, contemplating each and every beat, bringing in the meaning.

"Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention
    I got some friends inside

The face in the mirror won't stop
    The girl in the window won't drop
    A feast of friends
    "Alive", she cried
    Waiting for me
    Outside

Before I sink into the big sleep
    I want to hear, I want to hear
    The scream of the butterfly

Come back, baby
    Back into my arms

We're gettin' tired of hangin' around
    Waitin' around, with our heads to the ground
    I hear a very gentle sound

Very near, yet very far
    Very soft, yeah, very clear
    Come today, come today

What have they done to the Earth?
    What have they done to our fair sister?
    Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
    Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
    And tied her with fences
    And dragged her down

I hear a very gentle sound
    With your ear down to the ground
    We want the world and we want it...
    Now
    Now?
    NOW!

Persian night, babe
    See the light, babe
    Save us!
    Jesus!
    Save us!

So when the music's over
    When the music's over, yeah
    When the music's over
    Turn out the lights
    Turn out the lights
    Turn out the lights

Well, the music is your special friend
    Dance on fire as it intends
    Music is your only friend
    Until the end

Until the end."

Another,

Dust in the Wind, by Kansas.

Reduces me to nothingness.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?