User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Life would be so sad if we had a purpose. We'd be like tools in a toolbox, waiting for accomplish our duty and then when we would be no longer useful, we'd only have to dissappear. Biologically, yes, our 'purpose' is to reproduce... but we're rational animals. We have more potential than that.
    Purpose is what we decide, the goals we set and our preferences towards the future. Some wish to help mankind, others are 'antagonists'... yet, it's that conflict of interests what makes life so interesting. The way is the true goal. Finding our purpose... maybe that's our real purpose.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    I am serious about this topic and I would most definitely be interested in your insights.
    ehh...i don't know if i want to...everyone here is so damn logical...haha

but...i will

i don't care about proof...i only care about what i believe to be true...yeah...i know

but...the only thing that makes sense to me is that life is like a university...we all began somewhere else...and chose to take certain courses here to obtain the level of advancement that we desire.

some people choose hard courses...others choose easy ones
    the point is to learn from it...good or bad...

i don't believe in hell...the notion of a devil is preposterous to me
    but i believe in contrast...light and dark...with love...and without
    i believe in people lacking in light who have a lot to learn...

sorry...i could do that all day...but i'll stop...i don't even know if that answered your question...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

But how can you prove that we even exist?

We can eat, run ,make a joke from time to time and go fishing but can we actually say that we exist and can you prove that we need to exist to do that things?
    So if you can't defiine existance or what is existance then there is probably no point in talking about purpose.

Has any of us ever experiance how it is not to exist?
    Since we don't know how the other side of the coin looks like no one can prove that we actually exist and if there is no way that you can't exist would mean that you always exist.
    But if you always exist would also mean that you can't have a purpose since you exist since ever-forever and it is impossible not to exist in this scenario.

Or your purpose would be that you do the same thing all the time. What in the end means that there is no purpose since you must do the same thing all the time and since there can't be infinite amount of things a human mind can do you are forced to repeat what you are doing all the time.
    What indicates that there is no purpose inside a human understanding of reality.

The alternative to this is to just grow old and die(cease to exist).
    What is pointless even if some people would probably disagree.

There is also a option that we will be transformed in a way that we can mentally survive the eternity, But if we will be transformed then our current position is pointless for the moment.
    Since we can't stay this way and we could have been transformed to be better even before we are born.(we are just put on hold)

Because of this I have concluded that purpose does't exist. It is something that keeps us working, but in reality there is no such a thing as purpose.

This is some of my thinking about the topic and I think a lot about things like this and this is just a part of it, so some parts look like that they they are unfinished. (read: if someone wants to talk we can open a thread)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    But how can you prove that we even exist?
    i can feel it...can't you?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

@Erin, awsome post, you can keep going, I promise I will continue to be interested. I have my beliefs on the topic as do many other people, but I never get tired of gathering modes of perception or thoughts. What I am trying to say is that what you have to say is cool, and I will never judge, and if anyone elses judges then they can go and buck a fuffalo.

@AntiSocial, Existentialism is a cool topic that always trips me out, and if you got ideas that differ from the big names (Kierkegaard, Nietzsche and friends) than it would be awsome to hear them man.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INTJ

I have a Christian worldview.

The Westminster Catechism begins this way:

"What is the chief and highest end of man?"
    "Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy him forever."

The Bible says:
    "The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil."
    Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 ESV

Jesus said:

""This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.""
    John 15:12-13 ESV

I personally believe my purpose is to live a life that is pleasing to God.
    It's my aim to treat people with dignity and respect,
    and to love and encourage them when I can.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^^ i believe there is truth in all religion but no one is interpreting it right
    and i also believe...everyone is meant to believe what they believe and everyone has their own path...and their own truth and will come to know things as they should
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i can feel it...can't you?
    Actually, I can't.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

you can't feel that you're alive?^^^
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    you can't feel that you're alive?^^^

What is probably confusing you is that I was talking about some properties of matter. You are probably not the only one that got confused.

The position of modern science is that the world around us is an ilusion.