User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Alarm clock solutions

Alarm clocks have lost all effectiveness for me. How have any of you guys coped with a similar problem?

Sometimes, I shut the alarm off and go right back to sleep.

Sometimes, I'm so tired before I go to bed that I set the time, but forget to turn on the alarm switch.

Sometimes, I don't know, I guess it goes off and I turn it off, but am so tired while doing it that it's like an unconscious thing, and I have no recollection of it when I wake up hours later.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP

Position your alarm-clock on the other side of the room so you have to get up to turn it off. Or try that (supposedly) Native American trick where you drink about 7 glasses of water before you go to bed.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Position your alarm-clock on the other side of the room so you have to get up to turn it off.
    Yeah, I kind of have that setup right now.

I have a roommate, so the farther from me it is, the louder it has to be, and the more chance of it waking him up and being a nuisance. Right now, it sits raised above the foot of my bed.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-19-2008 at 03:23 AM. Reason: cause and effect

A lot of people suggest having two alarms. The first goes off with soothing music, which pulls you out of the deep sleep state that you're in. Then a few minutes later another alarm goes off with beeps in case you haven't gotten up already. This way you can wake up more naturally and peacefully. If you're in a deep sleep state and then your alarm just starts blasting you, you're much more likely to hit snooze, turn it off, or wake up feeling groggy.

Put the second alarm across the room.

Do not buy cheap alarms. Nobody wants to be late all the time just so they could save $20. Another good option is a nice radio/CD alarm that lets you set two alarm times on it. (One for radio, one for beeps.) Make sure the alarms run on batteries if the power goes out. I think most decent ones give you that option nowadays.

I have had EVERY possible problem with alarm clocks.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    GONE

Do you have roommates? Get them to harass the hell out of you. You can even piss them off on purpose so they have a reason to yell at you in the morning.

Or get those new fangled alarm clocks that run away from you. I got one for Xmas. I don't use it (it works too well -- the thought of having to get out of bed and chase after this thing makes me tired) but my brother's dogs love playing with it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Do you have roommates? Get them to harass the hell out of you.
    Well, my roommate (dormmate) and I don't really talk. We just stay out of each other's way.

You have to want to wake up. For a split second, my impulse to want rest overrides my plans that require me to wake up, and the alarm was all in vain.

MBTI
    STUF
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INTJ

I had the same problem. Fixed it by going to bed earlier.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Set your alarm clock to play popular eighties music. Waking up to "Whip it... whip it good" and "And I raaaaaaaaaaan, I raaaaaaaan so far awaaaaaaaay" should be agonizing enough to snap you to your senses. Of course, you might sorta develop mental callousing in response to these songs after a while. If that happens, try to switch it to some equally horrible music. If that doesn't work, I've got a MIDI tune I made as a teen that could wake up a deaf person. It's called TORTURE because of what it does to people via the ears. Just let me know if you need it.

MBTI
    ENTP

I need three alarms for getting up.
    Alarms in the other side of the room only make me go there, switch off the alarm, and going back to the bed.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.