User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I don't need an alarm clock to help me wake up at regular hours. I need an alarm clock to help me wake up for irregular hours, like naps between all-nighters.

I'm not a sleep-loving person: the dislike of sleep leads me to sleep less, which in turn makes me sleepier (more in need of sleep). It's a horrible fate.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I can beat that... I missed a 5 o'clock lecture because I was still asleep. That's 5pm in case you're wondering.
    A lecture? That's suppposed to beat sleeping through an exam? Or do you mean the fact that you slept in till 5pm... 'cause I can beat that!

Once upon a time on my first day home after finals, I screamed at my mom for having the audacity to wake me up at 6 in the morning when she knew how tired I was... then I realised it was 6pm, and went back to bed. Oh! What now?!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

You should get the peaceful progression alarm clock if you don't want to wake your roomate The Peaceful Progression Wake Up Clock. at Hammacher Schlemmer

Or you could edit the beginning of this song YouTube - Time - Pink Floyd a dozen times onto a cd and use it as an alarm, that would get the job done.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh man. I had no idea there were so many genius alarm clocks out there. I love the one that runs away lol. My cat would have a blast... and when it made it out of my room and down the hall the dog would surely kick up a ruckus barking at it. That would get me up for sure... albiet cussing like a sailor.

Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

I have the coolest alarm clock ever. Its freaking hairy, cuddles up to me and then just bitches and meows forever, the only way to get it to go on snooze is to pick it up walk across the hall and drop it on the cold hard bathroom floor. Sometimes it throws up but most of the time its just plain routine.

I used to have a cd player alarm clock but every time I set it up, it would only play 4?33? by John Cage, or so it seemed.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    I used to have a cd player alarm clock but every time I set it up, it would only play 4?33? by John Cage, or so it seemed.
    Mine does that, too.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I have four alarm clocks placed in different locations around the bed. I still manage to turn them off sometimes -_-

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I don't need an alarm clock to help me wake up at regular hours. I need an alarm clock to help me wake up for irregular hours, like naps between all-nighters.

I'm not a sleep-loving person: the dislike of sleep leads me to sleep less, which in turn makes me sleepier (more in need of sleep). It's a horrible fate.
    There is a science to taking a nap.
    I know. Leave it to an INTJ.
    I have tested it out for myself.

Don't take a 2 hour nap. It is SO HARD to wake up after two hours. The chemicals in your body goes through cycles. At two hours, a person gets all groggy and it's extremely difficult to wake up. You actually feel even more tired!

Here's the trick:
    Sleep for 30-45 minutes.
    It's called a power-nap.

It works.
    After 45 minutes of sleep, I feel wide awake and refreshed.
    It's like a second-wind, only better.

Try it.
    Set a timer or clock to wake you up.
    My trouble is determining how long it's going to take me to fall asleep.
    Sometimes takes longer than others.
    I keep the timer right near me and readjust the time if necessary.
    Don't give in to the temptation to sleep longer than 45 minutes.
    Get up. You will soon be wide awake.

On the subject of naps...
    Try a 10 minute coffee nap. Drink 1 cup of coffee and nap exactly 10 minutes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

People sleep in cycles that are generally 1 to 1.5 hours. If you find yourself awake in the middle of the night, it could be that you're between cycles. If you wake up in the middle of a cycle, that's when you feel worst. If you wake up between cycles, that's when you feel good. It's best if you can sleep all night and wake up naturally rather than with an alarm clock, but obviously it isn't worth losing your job over this.

It's also possible to get rested without actually sleeping. If you spend about 15-30 minutes being still, it can refresh you kinda like sleeping. One time I did this in a classroom unintentionally. I put my head down on my desk, and as an introvert, my mind is highly active. So I just stayed fixed in that position in continuous thought for about half an hour. When I snapped out of it, it felt like I had been sleeping, but I knew that I was in continuous thought the whole time. Former President Clinton claimed to be able to take such a nap while leaning against a wall.