User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    So Nolla, you do that too? I'm not sure if it happens or not, but I have a feeling it does. It's the only way to explain some things (like last night's alarm).
    Do I do what? (I have hard time concentrating today, sorry.) Close alarm without waking up? Yeah, I've done it for years. But it never happens if I promised someone I would be somewhere, I just have to KNOW it is important. If I don't consider that it is very essential for me to wake up, then I will not. Or if I do, I will think, "five more minutes"...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

In theory the radio alarm should rose me out of deep sleep. In concept the buzzer alarm which sounds half an hour later should get me further awake. The huge old fashioned alarm clock with two 2" bells on it across the room should ensure that I get up and am awake (that one is LOUD!). The alarm on my wrist watch should make certain that at 5 past I'm fully aware of the passage of time and my mobile playing loud music at a quarter past should clearly indicate when I'm pushing my luck. Somehow it never matters though if I can't be bothered with life in general that day...

According to theory an alarm that not only makes noise but also turns the lights on would be the best. Possibly doing both gradually. Waking up suddenly hurts (see previous remark about bell alarm clock).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I think I'm a pretty light sleeper, really. I woke up eventually because my roommate walked in the door, and closing the door woke me up for good.

I've never even used the Snooze Button before, because I don't plan on pushing it off for a few more minutes. I know why I set the alarm, and it's to get up, now. So long-term, I want to get up, but impulse makes me sleepy again. (hypocrisy)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I have 4 devices set up to wake me with 5 different alarm times.

The first is my radio set to buzzer at 6:00 AM. It is across the room from my bed and next to the light for my room. One is shut off while the other is turned on.

Next is the first alarm set on my cellphone for 6:30 with club music and on vibrate. This one is tricky to shut off and sometimes it just doesn't turn off. I just hope one day I don't smash it.

Third is another alarm that beeps at 7:00. This one tends to be the one that actually wakes me up, but sometimes it isn't.

Fourth is the alarm on my watch at 7:10, more to tell me what time it is than to wake me up, though it has done that a few times.

Fifth is my cellphone again at 7:15 as a last call or I'm screwed and have to improvise on my getting things done.

My roommate wakes up before me but doesn't really care much whether I wake or not so I haven't bothered asking for help.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The huge old fashioned alarm clock with two 2" bells on it across the room should ensure that I get up and am awake (that one is LOUD!).
    I want one of those! Not for the regular wake up, but for emergencies. It is impossible to miss a wedding or a funeral when you have one of those.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I got one of those daylight simulator clocks that I set half an hour before I have to get up. It starts by slowely turning a dimmerswitch high and higher, and once it's at max, it also sets off some kind of sound (frogs, birds or waves). It works very nicely if you're well rested, as you get out of bed with a great feeling, but if you're too tired still, it only lightens your sleep and you need an extra beeping mechanism. I also once managed to sleep right through all of it, as I was so dead tired
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Alarm clocks have lost all effectiveness for me. How have any of you guys coped with a similar problem?

Sometimes, I shut the alarm off and go right back to sleep.

Sometimes, I'm so tired before I go to bed that I set the time, but forget to turn on the alarm switch.

Sometimes, I don't know, I guess it goes off and I turn it off, but am so tired while doing it that it's like an unconscious thing, and I have no recollection of it when I wake up hours later.
    An ISTJ who is having trouble being responsible?!
    See your counselor right away!

Don't you have a snooze button that re-rings your alarm clock every 7-9 minutes?

My ISTP son was tough to wake up.
    I found an alarm that actually shakes the bed!
    But it cost too much for me - under $100, but still.

MBTI
    INFP

Please just don't use a stereo-alarm playing a CD you like. I've completely destroyed an entire Mogwai album like that. I can't listen to it anymore, after using it for maybe 2 weeks.

On a side note, I think the Snooze function should have decreasing intervals between snoozes. 9 mins, 6 mins, 3 mins 1 min. That sort of thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Actually, the best approach to an effective alarm clock is GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP. Go to bed at the same time everyday, and make sure it's a time that results in getting all of the sleep that you need to feel rested.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

That's kinda hard when you're surfing this forum on a regular basis :P
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”