Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Ok, I just want to throw out my ideas for improving our education system. I could be totally wrong, but I would like to hear your thoughts. I havenít read any other posts about this stuff, because Iím too lazy. So if Iím repeating whatís already been said, forgive me.
Weíre all sponges when weíre young, so we should probably pump as much useful information into kids while they can really absorb it. Itís ridiculous to me that we are as ignorant as we are, when things could be so much better.
Things I think should be made mandatory in schools worldwide in no particular order:
1. Self Defense should be taught, maybe as some martial art.
2. Religion should be a subject, taught unbiased. I believe half the world hates the other half just out of pure ignorance for what they think is believed. For instance, I donít know what those Middle Eastern dudes believe. Are they killing each other because they think their God tells them to? I have no idea. Maybe they have no idea what we think either.
3. One worldwide language should be taught everywhere, then a local language as secondary. Another area that should eliminate problems between countries. We should all be on the same page here. Thereís no reason not to be.
4. General everyday duties should bet taught too, i.e. balancing a check book, changing a tire, flipping a breaker. I donít believe that anything should be left up to parents as far as educating their kids. I think this because there are some really bad parents out there and their kids are ignorant to everyday things. There should be a redundancy in place where the parents are covered if they donít tell there kids something important. Todayís education system leaves too many areas uncovered.
5. Basic survival skills should be taught. Yes it may be dumb in todayís world of technology, but it would be good to know these things if you ever find yourself in a situation you never thought you would be in.
6. Some form of local law should be taught. I donít think government class covered that itís illegal to publicly walk around naked.
7. Drivers Ed should be a school taught class too, and it should be at least a year long course. I donít think a six week course, or whatever it is now, is doing a thorough enough job.
8. Vocabulary should be taught as a subject. We should know just about what every word means in our language.
9. No general colleges, only technical colleges. No basics, just pure high quality information for what career path youíre choosing. You shouldnít have to take art when youíre going for a degree in accounting.
10. Grades should be done away with because kids learn at different speeds. Instead, subjects should have levels. So one kid thatís 10 could be a level 6 in Math while another thatís 10 is at a level 20. Thereís no reason to hold bright kids back because the slower learners are having trouble. A kid should learn at their fastest speed. They should not be held back in any way.
11. There should be a way to test kids early on, on how they learn best. Maybe an MBTI type test for kids. If this info was available to educators, kids could be taught the right way. For example, I learn best when I see it done or do it myself. Reading it in a book, didnít always sync in for me for quickly. So I either learned it later, or didnít try to learn it all.
12. We should only have to be taught the basics of Math, Science, and History. I never have and never will use chemistry, calculus, or the knowledge that Lincoln was assassinated. That should be a higher, non-mandatory area of study.
13. Cooking should be taught to everybody at least a year. People need to know how to make their own food, and they should be shown how to do it healthily.
14. First Aid should be covered well. People should know what to do if an emergency should arise.
15. The way the world is getting these days, I think there should be some kind of Environmental Appreciation class. I know it doesnít sound like much fun, but it would be good to know the consequences of doing the things we do to the world at a younger age.
16. Morals should be taught. I work in a school environment and see bad kids all the time. They arenít born bad, they just have bad parents. Kids should be taught right and wrong.
17. Dating, sex, and marriage should be taught to kids early on. These things shouldnít be treated as such a taboo subject area. Maybe if we were educated on this stuff in school, instead of the internet, we might not have as many early pregnancies and/or failed marriages.
18. Self Discipline should also be taught. In my office there is a jar of candy. Every time I get up I get a piece, even though I really donít want one. I have no willpower whatsoever. Seeing that statistically most people are obese, Iím not the only one with little self discipline. Iím sure this can be taught just like anything else. I mean the military does, donít they?
19. Sports should not be as big of a deal in schools as they are, and maybe they shouldnít be school related events at all. I know itís heresy, but I remember going to sporting events and seeing parents yelling like crazy people at other parents, kids, and referees. I used to get stressed out playing sports, because there was so much pressure coming from all sides. I donít know what the solution is, but it needs to change.
20. All curriculum and lessons should be computer based. A student should not have to rely on a substitute or bad teacher.
Sorry this is so long, but I think about this kind of stuff a lot. I need answers, and I value your feedback. If youíve got better ideas or more to add, letís hear it. Thanks