User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An ISTJ's take on improving the education system

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    1. Self Defense should be taught, maybe as some martial art. - useful but not a must..
    I agree that it's not vital, but how much stuff really is? I just feel people should know how to defend themselves should the situation arise.
    2. Religion should be a subject, taught unbiased. - Depending on the age of the kids, you might run into problems. As you said, they're like sponges. They'll absorb everything without thought. On the topic of religion, EVERYBODY is biased. You have those who believe and those who doesn't. Then there's tens of religions out there. Whoever ends up teaching the course will unconsciously let their biases creep in.
    You're right, this would be a tough one to sell and implement.
    [b]3. One worldwide language should be taught everywhere, then a local language as secondary. [b] - language is one barrier, another is culture. The Quebecois here in Canada speak french... but there's general dislike between them and the French. Same goes for spanish speaking countries. Is universal language and culture possible? Also how do we decide upon which one will be selected? The fact is if people wants to quarrel, they'll find a means of doing so regardless.
    The way I see it is, if we have one core language, we've eliminated a huge barrier. How frustrating is it to be around someone who you can't communicate with? It's becoming apparent that as Technology gets better the barriers seem to decrease. I mean we have online translation tools and some Russian kid likes LeBron James.
    6. Some form of local law should be taught. I don’t think government class covered that it’s illegal to publicly walk around naked. - ummm that's common courtesies is it not? Much of this is covered in school, they're just not explicitly taught.
    I was hesitant to post this one, because we probably learn everything we need to know through TV and socializing.
    7. Drivers Ed should be a school taught class too, and it should be at least a year long course. - What happened to those who do not wish to drive? Or people who've moved from a place where driving is uncommon? Where do they learn? A year long course seems unreasonable for them...
    Really, I didn't know there were still people that didn't drive other than people in less fortunate countries. Most of these suggestions probably wouldn't work for them.
    8. Vocabulary should be taught as a subject. We should know just about what every word means in our language. - Basic vocab is taught in English class. The rest of it is per needs basis. There's millions of words out there. If you're an accountant, do you need to work what the procedure to remove your reproductive organs is called?
    I should have excluded professional jargon from this.
    9. No general colleges, only technical colleges. No basics, just pure high quality information for what career path you’re choosing. You shouldn’t have to take art when you’re going for a degree in accounting. - YIKES! If everybody become completely specialized, there'll be virtually zero innovation in the world. I'll say the balanced is pushed far enough for "technical career based" learning as it is... we need more generalized schooling.
    I would have went to a completely specialized school over what we have now anyday. I didn't like school very much.
    10. Grades should be done away with because kids learn at different speeds. Instead, subjects should have levels. - Good for the gifted learners perhaps. This system doesn't account for social learning that takes place in school though. Things like teamwork, cooperation and friendship will likely disappear because nobody knows anybody else in class. There's no like-aged peers. Having the gifted take a few advance courses despite being in a lower grade I agree with. But not completely moving them out of the system.
    A no limit educational offering is what I was after here. I don't see why a high school kid couldn't work together with a junior high kid on a same level project. Why limit ourselves to just being around same aged peers? Does this offer advantages? We may have older or younger siblings, should we stay away from them to avoid any influence? I'm younger than most of the people I work with and I am fine around them. Kids would still have PE, lunch, recess, health, or whatever together. Sorry, maybe I've just forgotten what it's like to be a kid.
    12. We should only have to be taught the basics of Math, Science, and History. - Calculus is not mandatory here in high school. However basics in chemistry, physics etc is as important as history. The broader your understanding of the world, the less likely you'll be taken in by propaganda.
    I really don't know if calculus is mandatory here either, but I was just trying to make a point. I felt like I was waisting my time on a lot of those subjects, not learning anything in the process. Chemistry probably should have been a chapter of science instead of a whole school year's worth. That material got into some pretty heavy stuff for me. Balancing equations of elements was not something that made me feel like I was accomplishing anything of any significance. Maybe I'm wrong and subconsciously we're always using that stuff, but I doubt it.
    13. Cooking should be taught to everybody at least a year. - Do you not have home ed class in your education system? I thought that's a standard...
    No, home ec was an elective at my school. Not mandatory.
    15. The way the world is getting these days, I think there should be some kind of Environmental Appreciation class. - No need for a class, just make a school wide project. The environmental awareness week is in March isn't it? Encourage them to clean up local parks etc, have bottle drives and walk or take public transit to school.
    Is a week enough? Do schools have projects on this stuff already? I don't know.
    16. Morals should be taught. - I think these things are learned by osmosis... how do you teach morals? Thou shall not kill? What about euthanesia? Moral behavior isn't black and white. Rules aren't useful, practice is.
    I don't believe morals are absorbed. When a kid does something wrong, isn't a parent supposed to tell them? If a kid is never told, they may never learn. Kids get spoiled. I don't know how you teach a kid this stuff, I'm not a parent or a teacher. I just work around a lot of kids.
    19. Sports should not be as big of a deal in schools as they are, and maybe they shouldn’t be school related events at all. - You're not much for team spirit are you? People aren't islands... It's not so much as the sports themselves as learning to work together as a group.
    No, team spirit meant nothing to me. My personality type probably had a good deal to do with that. People in general are not islands, but some of us are. I'm not against team building or socializing. I'm against the pressure that's put upon kids to win.
    20. All curriculum and lessons should be computer based. - Kids need to learn the nuisances of social interactions. A teacher is a role model for that. I do agree that teachers ought to pass some sort of standardized testing every few years to continue teaching.
    An annual test would be good. I don't think this would motivate the teachers to teach the kids any differently. If they're lazy, and I had some really lazy ones, you don't learn. Most kids grow up with technology these days. I thought a computer based learning system would appeal to them more.

Thanks for your input. Your comments are definitely making me reevaluate my suggestions. Unfortunately, I veiw the world as black and white, right and wrong. I know it's very narrow minded, but it's how I tick.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Array Eldanen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdude View Post
    20. All curriculum and lessons should be computer based. A student should not have to rely on a substitute or bad teacher.
    I agree with the second part of this, but not the first one. I think that people lose some fundamental skill and ability if they have a computer for everything. They seem to lose independence somehow. Writing on physical paper engages the brain in a way that typing on a keyboard does not.

You're right, it seems like writing with a pen is getting more and more out of date as technology advances. I do all my banking online. Whenever I find myself on the rare occasion that I need to write a check, it takes me a while to remember how to write certain characters in cursive. We are definitely becoming dependent on Technology, but barring an EMP bomb that takes all that away, is it really such a bad thing? I don't know.

8w9 sx/sp

Okay, I agree COMPLETELY with everything except for #20 to an extent, because it contradicts what you said earlier about kids and their own styles of learning.

I wish education could be more holistic.

Another point I'd like to add:
    I think students should be exposed to every kind of subject/art early on. It may be the only way they can find out what they truly love doing. xD

All these things are good ideas in principle, but they'd be hard to actually implement though.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D