User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    Enough meaning it's not their default method of thought. It's makes for a "huh" reaction when I decide to voice a bit of whats on my mind.
    You must cater to your audience. Just as you would prefer them to be as analytical as you, and get what you're saying, they would probably prefer that you just shut up. Neither of you will change, of course.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You must cater to your audience. Just as you would prefer them to be as analytical as you, and get what you're saying, they would probably prefer that you just shut up. Neither of you will change, of course.
    Audience. That is a key distinction to be made. Although the way you choose to interpret it or utilize it is a rather subjective matter...
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Audience. That is a key distinction to be made. Although the way you choose to interpret it or utilize it is a rather subjective matter...
    If you have correctly identified your audience, the least you can do is avoid statements they won't appreciate. That's easy. It becomes degrading and problematic if you must force yourself to create statements designed for them. Nightmare.

MBTI
    INTP

My man, did I say anything about how often I do this? Its been years since I've been able to share what I think about with anyone in person (aside from 1 friend who I do not see enough of). All the people I know to whom this post applies are non the wiser as to what I think of. As far as they know, I'm an aloof and somewhat distant person who only lets the surface (and what an artificial surface that is) show.

Like you say, neither of us will change. I wish people (way more so women than men) were different but I don't expect them to change.

MBTI
    INTP

If you have correctly identified your audience, the least you can do is avoid statements they won't appreciate. That's easy. It becomes degrading and problematic if you must force yourself to create statements designed for them. Nightmare.
    And such is the bulk of my interactions with people. Hence my predominately misanthropic view of people. Catering to the shallow interactions (from my point of view) people seem to hold so dear sucks. The lack of intimacy in my life gets more annoying as I get older.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

As far as they know, I'm an aloof and somewhat distant person who only lets the surface (and what an artificial surface that is) show.
    It's why, for INTPs specifically, that when we're thrown into the standard mix, that we aren't seen as possessing very advantageous traits. What we excel at, we can't apply in these "common" environments, so we're the flies on the wall.

MBTI
    INTP

It's why, for INTPs specifically, that when we're thrown into the standard mix, that we aren't seen as possessing very advantageous traits. What we excel at, we can't apply in these "common" environments, so we're the flies on the wall.
    What an understatement.

Although I've been known to be quite good at mimicking the behavior I feel is so useless. Particularly when drinking. Honestly though, I've become tired of that lately. Been feeling pretty unfulfilled with my social life. The fact that I hate sitting at home on the weekends makes this even more difficult. I've thrown myself into my work more so than every but the people I work with can be pretty unpleasant at times. Lose-Lose-Lose for a young INTP in an American College.

There's an INTP rant for you.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Although I've been known to be quite good at mimicking the behavior I feel is so useless. Particularly when drinking. Honestly though, I've become tired of that lately. Been feeling pretty unfulfilled with my social life.
    Tired indeed. I know exactly what you mean, as I adapt too. But in those situations I'm only 3/4 as adept as the next guy, so it's frustrating. From time to time, I say "Fuck this," and start talking about physics and psychology. Not that it gets me anywhere...Well not usually, hehe.

The fact that I hate sitting at home on the weekends makes this even more difficult. I've thrown myself into my work more so than every but the people I work with can be pretty unpleasant at times. Lose-Lose-Lose for a young INTP in an American College.
    That kind of frustration fades with time for most, I believe. It should happen that your time will eventually more be spent on your own terms.

MBTI
    INTP

Tired indeed. I know exactly what you mean, as I adapt too. But in those situations I'm only 3/4 as adept as the next guy, so it's frustrating. From time to time, I say "Fuck this," and start talking about physics and psychology. Not that it gets me anywhere...Well not usually, hehe.

That kind of frustration fades with time for most, I believe. It should happen that your time will eventually more be spent on your own terms.
    Yep-Yep and Yep. It's really odd trying so hard to be good at something you just want to get away from.

I'm very happy with the way I function and one of the things I pride myself on is my natural tendency to be abnormal with respect to the way I think and feel and with my ability and desire to be social despite my vocation (engineering) and high work load. The day I decide to surf the web instead of at least trying to find someone who I actually enjoy spending time with is the day I ball my eyes out.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The day I decide to surf the web instead of at least trying to find someone who I actually enjoy spending time with is the day I ball my eyes out.
    Could be a bit "short-sighted" there, heh heh heh! There's always a chance you could find someone you enjoy spending time with while you're surfing the web. I've done it.